Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Doubt you will see price reduction, these are niche limited edition formats

You may aswell hope for reduced iPhone

Premium products seldom reduce, each release sees increased prices with new features etc

It's not like TV,s or washing machines etc that seem to decrease over the years
This is Lenovo though, not Apple. Price reduction through scaling is a possibility for a Chinese brand. If the Razr is a success and pressure is put to bear via Samsungs 'similar' foldable Razr-style phone, we may see a solid reduction in price. (Or maybe not. You very well could be right. But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

Reactions: SteveJUAE

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'll probably get hated for this but:

When the original RAZR launched, (which was $500, not $1500) it definitely looked neat but I was using another popular handset (which was a brick and indestructible) the 5100-series, which was the most popular phone IMO at the time.

It was out of my price range at the time. Eventually, the V3 (sans the SD Card slot and better camera) got into the clearance rack at Wal-Mart around 2008-09. Even then it was not cheap--it was $399. I ended up getting one to finally experience it. Awful experience.

The good:

1. Metal design, which this 'new' version lacks. Local news had a guy who's RAZR V3i stopped a bullet fired at him.

2. It was futuristic at the time, in an era of monochrome screens and limited ID screens on flips, this one had a super high resolution screen and even wallpaper-capable Caller ID screen. Still holds up today.

3. Excellent battery life. Even with all it could do, it never skipped a beat

4. Older versions offered SD card slots so you could use it as a Bluetooth MP3 player. Even iTunes support came later.

The Bad:

(this is with the GoPhone V3 RAZR I was living with)

1. GPRS was dead/dying. It never did get a data signal--so it just ended up being a very fancy phone and nothing more.

2. No SD slots in its later incarnations. Mine had the VGA camera instead of the 1.2 MP camera.

3. Network was already obsolete--GPRS was out, 3G was coming in. Phone was on life support in 2008.

4. ALL Motorola RAZRs suffered from ribbon cable defects, so eventually the inner screen would go out, then the outer Caller ID screen died, eventually only the keypad would illuminate on mine. It lasted all of 3 months. I didn't know of the defects until it was a problem for me. All the forums and locals praised the RAZR, completely ignoring the defect.

All in all, it was not the fond experience everyone thought it was. At least not for me. And this monstrosity is just another Android phone trying to capture nostalgia and looking literally nothing like the original RAZR.

There was a GSM-capable Moto StarTAC released in the mid-2000s, to appeal to nostalgia. It was offered in many colors but remained a StarTAC like its predecessor. The StarTAC to me was the more iconic handset--it was the first flip phone. It offered vibration alerts and had extended battery pack options. retractable antenna to get better signal. Also quite expensive however.

iu-2.jpeg
iu-3.jpeg

Why can't the modern RAZR at least look like the original but have LTE compatibility? How long before the folding screen dies? Like many modern phones made these days, it's likely to last 2 years and get tossed in the garbage. People never hold onto things anymore. It's also made of what appears to be plastic, correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• iu-2.jpeg
    iu-2.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 210
  • iu-3.jpeg
    iu-3.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
For nostalgia, I pulled out my original V3 RAZR. This was on the Cingular network (pre-ATT network) and here are the specs and what came in my box. Note the old leather belt clip (that was 'in' back in 2005-7). My RAZR still works, and as you can see, the screen is still working like a champ, 15 years later!!!!

Attachments

• IMG-0197.jpg
    IMG-0197.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG-0198.jpg
    IMG-0198.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG-0199.jpg
    IMG-0199.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 191

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Prediction...

The Samsung Fold (rumored clamshell device) will render this phone obsolete before it ever gets to market. The Fold will have better specs, better hardware, better OS skin, and is rumored to be cheaper.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Prediction...

The Samsung Fold (rumored clamshell device) will render this phone obsolete before it ever gets to market. The Fold will have better specs, better hardware, better OS skin, and is rumored to be cheaper.
My prediction is that the Razr will do enough for Motorola’s brand recognition for them to consider it a success, and that’s mostly what it was released for.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Still a shame they couldn't have made it more, shall we say, "authentic". Like they did with the rebooted StarTAC. If capturing nostalgia is what they were going after it would have made sense. A modern RAZR looking closer to the classic but being perhaps a KaiOS phone with VoLTE support would be nicer IMO. That metal body and illuminated keypad were iconic.

Also, if they really wanted it to be "just another Android phone", why not give it far better specs for that super huge price tag? Oh well, this is Lenovo we're talking about here.

Reactions: 5105973

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Still a shame they couldn't have made it more, shall we say, "authentic". Like they did with the rebooted StarTAC. If capturing nostalgia is what they were going after it would have made sense. A modern RAZR looking closer to the classic but being perhaps a KaiOS phone with VoLTE support would be nicer IMO. That metal body and illuminated keypad were iconic.

Also, if they really wanted it to be "just another Android phone", why not give it far better specs for that super huge price tag? Oh well, this is Lenovo we're talking about here.
They couldn’t give it anything other than a mid-range Snapdragon 710 due to heat dissipation issues they said they ran into with the higher end Snapdragon chips. Space was limited to pretty much the battery and screen for a majority of the phone, and the battery had to be split in half, taking away capacity.
there are drawbacks to this form factor, but the reasons for the hardware used were given. It is what it is. As advances are made in the future, the specs will get betterwith this form factor.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
It's just a folding smartphone. If the are intending to capture fans of the original or the elderly who buy Jitterbugs, then it has already flopped out the gate. It'd be like releasing a new BlackBerry sans keyboard.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It's just a folding smartphone. If the are intending to capture fans of the original or the elderly who buy Jitterbugs, then it has already flopped out the gate. It'd be like releasing a new BlackBerry sans keyboard.

Not everyone who owned the original razr buys jitterbugs and is elderly. I had one and loved it and I’m 40.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's funny to see so many negative comments against something that is niche and does not have to have mass appeal

Like most similar products outside the Apple ECO etc it's all about choices and not almost idolizing one single format against all others

Who cares if it only a passing fad or otherwise. Embrace choice and options for diversity and development as its not compulsory to buy

There are plenty of products out there that are more style than substance or value that add some colour to what otherwise would be shades of grey options

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
It looks nothing like the RAZR. If they are really going to attempt to capture those who owned one why not make it closer to the original? They rebooted the StarTAC a few years ago and made it GSM capable and it still looked like a StarTAC, albeit in a sort of tacky rainbow color scheme.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Looks nothing like a RAZR. No keypad, no metal casing, no Kevlar option, etc.

It's a folding Android smartphone that just has 'RAZR' printed on it. If it didn't fold, it'd be no more the proper reboot of a RAZR than the Droid RAZR was.

iu-4.jpeg

iu-6.jpeg

iu-5.jpeg

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Looks nothing like a RAZR. No keypad, no metal casing, no Kevlar option, etc.

It's a folding Android smartphone that just has 'RAZR' printed on it. If it didn't fold, it'd be no more the proper reboot of a RAZR than the Droid RAZR was.

View attachment 887268

View attachment 887271

View attachment 887269

How silly.

While it's obviously impossible to look exactly like a RAZR, it very obviously is modeled in the spirit of the RAZR and anyone looking at it can see the similarities right down to that big, fat, protruding chin.

Yes, it looks very much like a RAZR with a modern design.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
They could have modernized it without changing so much. They did exactly that with the GSM StarTAC. Obviously both are/were going to be niche products to begin with. Most likely for the original customers of each respective device.

Looks more like they're trying harder to capture the younger generation or bring flip phones back in fashion.

The original RAZR is completely unusable today since it no longer supports cellular networks these days. GPRS died with TDMA and 2G.

It wouldn't have been that much a stretch to take what Alcatel did with the MyFlip and make a modern RAZR sporting that iconic original design aesthetic, but maintaining support for VoLTE, KaiOS, Bluetooth by modern standards, and some smart features.

Instead they did the same mistake that the modern "Palm Phone" did. Make a classic reboot but change too much. Palm Phone requires a paired phone since it's not independent, and they used Android (again) instead of say OpenWebOS which would be more "Palm" like.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I'm a Moto Z type of guy, so I will never buy this, but it can only be good for Motorola. Moto makes great phones, and IMO offer a better stock Android than Google themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.