Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
After watching early hands on with the just announced Galaxy Z Flip, I can’t see a single reason, short of just not liking Samsung or overwhelming Razr nostalgia, why one would get the Razr over the Z Flip. The Samsung has better build with a much nicer display (resolution and materials), far better hardware (superior CPU, storage, wireless charging, likely much better cameras, significantly) and is even less expensive.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Love the design, but not paying $1500 for it, especially without wireless charging and mid range specs.

Maybe when an updated version hits at&t with top of the line specs and folding glass along with a more durable hinge for around $1k I'll bite.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
So, there's this small company called Samsung, you should look them up. They just released a device called the Galaxy Z Flip. They're the first to create and manufacture foldable glass. It's quite the engineering accomplishment.

Yes you make a good point. In fact I just learned of this today! Although, its hardness and longevity remains to be seen. There's also the fact that it's effectively already ruined out of the box with an obvious crease, but I get that some people will be willing to overlook that.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
After watching early hands on with the just announced Galaxy Z Flip, I can’t see a single reason, short of just not liking Samsung or overwhelming Razr nostalgia, why one would get the Razr over the Z Flip. The Samsung has better build with a much nicer display (resolution and materials), far better hardware (superior CPU, storage, wireless charging, likely much better cameras, significantly) and is even less expensive.
Because the external screen is a joke!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So compromises in every other aspect of this device are worth a larger (but still barely usable in its own right) external display that will/should be used a fraction of the time? Ok.....

Edit: The Verge hands on summarizes it perfectly.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
And their phones have all failed so far re: folding screens as far back as the first Galaxy Fold.
Really, I must be holding my Fold wrong as its still working as too Lisa Gade or do you think we are the only 2 or you could be completely wrong

All have failed, don't make me laugh, not even all the pre production ones failed and those mainly reported were self inflicted damage by tearing the screen off
[automerge]1581576015[/automerge]
Yes you make a good point. In fact I just learned of this today! Although, its hardness and longevity remains to be seen. There's also the fact that it's effectively already ruined out of the box with an obvious crease, but I get that some people will be willing to overlook that.
I can put up with a crease over buying a phone, mini tablet and a kindle :)

The Fold crease is vertical for most operations so unlike the Flip and Razr your finger is less likely to come in to contact

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
They're trying to make as much money out of those desperate enough for nostalgia as they can get. They figure whatever little demand exists for such a dated device they can make a killing on since they're the only ones catering to that demand. Similar to that awfully high price someone thought I'd be desperate enough to pay for that woodgrain dash bezen for my Chrysler years ago.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
They're trying to make as much money out of those desperate enough for nostalgia as they can get. They figure whatever little demand exists for such a dated device they can make a killing on since they're the only ones catering to that demand. Similar to that awfully high price someone thought I'd be desperate enough to pay for that woodgrain dash bezen for my Chrysler years ago.
Have you hit your head or something? Maybe gone through a bad divorce recently?

Reactions: PrincePoppycock

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
sorry but the Razr is DOA now that the Z Flip is released.

Yup. Just watched the Verge’s review and Dieter said (I’m paraphrasing) that ‘if it was a non-folding phone that cost $250, he wouldn’t recommend it.’ Ouch. Nearly every aspect of it is a giant compromise, especially when there is a much better alternative already available, if you must have a folding phone.

Reactions: jamezr

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Or perhaps more of a marketing accomplishment? :oops:

Hmmm, I see you're busy running through all the threads trying to minimize the accomplishments of the company that is not Apple. The fact that hands on users have said there is a difference between the feel of the display on Z Flip the original Fold, supports Samsung's claim of a protective plastic layer over the UTG. But you keep running around screaming fire, maybe it'll keep people from buying the device. Lol

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Hmmm, I see you're busy running through all the threads trying to minimize the accomplishments of the company that is not Apple. The fact that hands on users have said there is a difference between the feel of the display on Z Flip the original Fold, supports Samsung's claim of a protective plastic layer over the UTG. But you keep running around screaming fire, maybe it'll keep people from buying the device. Lol

Two threads about foldables. I think foldables are bad mkay because they have soft screens, so I’m commenting as such. I’m not “running around screaming fire”. That is just hyperbole on your part. Is this protective layer supposed to be removed? Why does glass need protecting...by plastic?

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Man, super tempted, Verizon is offering $500 for my S10e plus another $300 for switching over. That’s $800 off, so it comes out to $699.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Man, super tempted, Verizon is offering $500 for my S10e plus another $300 for switching over. That’s $800 off, so it comes out to $699.
I think it's a better deal to trade your S10e for the S20 instead.

I mean for the RAZR, you're trading in your SD855 phone, and pay $700 more for a SD710 phone with worse camera, screen, and battery life.

And to add salt to the wound, plenty of $200 chinese phones have the spec of the 2019 RAZR, minus the folding part.

Reactions: tbayrgs

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Zito Abroad, I would ignore this poster it is just click bait fodder for no other reason

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I mean for the RAZR, you're trading in your SD855 phone, and pay $700 more for a SD710 phone with worse camera, screen, and battery life.

And to add salt to the wound, plenty of $200 chinese phones have the spec of the 2019 RAZR, minus the folding part.

I’ll second this sentiment. The Razr seems to be nothing short of a dumpster fire—seem very few positive things said about it and near unanimous consensus of ‘Do Not Buy’. The Verge probably summarized it best when Dieter Bohn said if this was a non folding smartphone priced Amy higher than $200, he couldn’t recommend it.

If you have to scratch the folding phone itch, IMO it’s worth the extra $ for the Z Flip instead (though that’s still too expensive for what you get—basically an S10e with more compromises for double the price).

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Unfortunately, the smaller S20 isn’t available on Verizon, I prefer “smaller” phones, plus I would only get $300 for my S10e. I also carry two phones, so anything more demanding I could use my iPhone 11 Pro or Note 10 for. And the smaller pocketability of the RAZR (plus design) is really tempting me at that lower price, but even with the discount I do still feel it’s overpriced for the specs.

The Galaxy Flip isn’t available on Verizon either, plus that tiny front display kills it for me as I don’t want to have to open it every single time simply to check notifications or read an incoming text.

I wish I could just merge the two phones together.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Unfortunately, the smaller S20 isn’t available on Verizon, I prefer “smaller” phones, plus I would only get $300 for my S10e. I also carry two phones, so anything more demanding I could use my iPhone 11 Pro or Note 10 for. And the smaller pocketability of the RAZR (plus design) is really tempting me at that lower price, but even with the discount I do still feel it’s overpriced for the specs.

The Galaxy Flip isn’t available on Verizon either, plus that tiny front display kills it for me as I don’t want to have to open it every single time simply to check notifications or read an incoming text.

I wish I could just merge the two phones together.

I encourage you to get it just so we can get a real world user experience. :p

(Aware this probably is not helpful haha).

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I encourage you to get it just so we can get a real world user experience.

(Aware this probably is not helpful haha).
Well, I ordered it! Have 30 days to decide to keep or not, so I'll see. My current thinking is I use my payment plan on the RAZR ($42/month for 24 months after discount), use the $300 credit to pay for a month or 2 of service, and use my Note 10 that's paid off as trade in to get an Unlocked Note 20 at the end of the year. And verizon allows for early upgrades, so when the Razr 2 comes out I can upgrade to that.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well, I ordered it! Have 30 days to decide to keep or not, so I'll see. My current thinking is I use my payment plan on the RAZR ($42/month for 24 months after discount), use the $300 credit to pay for a month or 2 of service, and use my Note 10 that's paid off as trade in to get an Unlocked Note 20 at the end of the year. And verizon allows for early upgrades, so when the Razr 2 comes out I can upgrade to that.

Look forward to your thoughts on it! :D

Reactions: Fernandez21

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, still waiting on my RAZR, but now they have the Pixel 4 on sale, 128gb for $20/month plus another $650 in credits for my trade in, so instead of paying Verizon $42/month for the RAZR, I would be getting $7/month back for getting the Pixel 4 instead.

While I did want to at least try out the RAZR for a few weeks before returning, I think I may jump on this Pixel 4 deal before it expires. Too bad Verizon isn’t getting the smaller s20, or I may have picked that up instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.