Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
They could have modernized it without changing so much. They did exactly that with the GSM StarTAC. Obviously both are/were going to be niche products to begin with. Most likely for the original customers of each respective device.

Looks more like they're trying harder to capture the younger generation or bring flip phones back in fashion.

The original RAZR is completely unusable today since it no longer supports cellular networks these days. GPRS died with TDMA and 2G.

It wouldn't have been that much a stretch to take what Alcatel did with the MyFlip and make a modern RAZR sporting that iconic original design aesthetic, but maintaining support for VoLTE, KaiOS, Bluetooth by modern standards, and some smart features.

Instead they did the same mistake that the modern "Palm Phone" did. Make a classic reboot but change too much. Palm Phone requires a paired phone since it's not independent, and they used Android (again) instead of say OpenWebOS which would be more "Palm" like.
I get what you're saying and I think I would like to see that made, too. If they could get the price down it would be fun to have.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If that 'retro home mode' is an actual feature and not just a static easter egg (I only saw a couple of videos and it doesn't appear to actually be functional?) that would at least be a neat option for those who liked the older OG RAZR.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
IT’S BASICALLY A GLORIFIED SKINNED ANDROID LAUNCHER
The mode is basically a glorified skinned Android launcher that faithfully re-creates the original RAZR UI through software, right down to the classic boot animation. But Motorola has put in some serious work here: the skin is fully functional. Click the button for messaging, and it’ll launch the Android messaging app. Click right to open settings, and the settings app will launch. The best part is dialing a phone number, which features the same pop-up UI as the original, including the sounds.

Reactions: jamezr

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Oh neat. From the Youtube videos describing it as an 'easter egg' and only showing it 'booting up' (hello moto animation and sound) and only 'powering down' (power down classic sound too and dumps back to home screen of Android) I was worried it wasn't functional and just for show. Glad I'm wrong. Total skeuomorphic wonder, too. Wish iOS would have offered a 'retro mode' of its own for the anniversary of the iPhone...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Pre-orders start today

Motorola’s $1500 Foldable Razr Now Up For Pre-Order!

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Looking like a giant flop so far (shocker).

Cnet tested the folding and it failed after 27,000 folds. For reference, the Galaxy Fold failed around 100,000 of the same test. Also, apparently when you move your finger over the hinge it makes an audible sound.

A $1500 foldable mid-range device that likely wont last a year. And people wonder why Motorola have been buried by Samsung and Apple in the premium smartphone race.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Looking like a giant flop so far (shocker).

Cnet tested the folding and it failed after 27,000 folds. For reference, the Galaxy Fold failed around 100,000 of the same test. Also, apparently when you move your finger over the hinge it makes an audible sound.

A $1500 foldable mid-range device that likely wont last a year. And people wonder why Motorola have been buried by Samsung and Apple in the premium smartphone race.

If you want to own it for two years and are awake (phone possibly being used) 16 hours per day then you can only flip it open 2.31 times per hour.

Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If you want to own it for two years and are awake (phone possibly being used) 16 hours per day then you can only flip it open 2.31 times per hour.

And the test was using perfect folds by a machine, not taking into account daily wear and tear and opening at angles. It’s going to be a disaster.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
What's to expect? many people feel they 'need' a new device every year so it stands to reason any manufacturer will cater to such a cycle--whether we like it or not.

It's sad how much new modern phones cost lately but have less features than my 6S and Galaxy S5 did in 2015/2014. Where's the headphone jack? home button? IR blaster? What's the point in upgrading when I gain less and have less money left to boot?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I checked out the phone yesterday at Verizon. The phone was chunky, dated, and the screen felt cheap. I'm really not sure who this phone is for, especially with that price tag. Nostalgic 40-somethings with money to burn?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I checked out the phone yesterday at Verizon. The phone was chunky, dated, and the screen felt cheap. I'm really not sure who this phone is for, especially with that price tag. Nostalgic 40-somethings with money to burn?

Yep. For those desperate enough for nostalgia to pay. They take advantage of that. Many companies who don't rely on one specialized product will cater to nostalgia and whatever little demand still exists by simply ramping the price up to an unrealistic level--that way anyone who is desperate enough will pay if they're the only one catering to them.

A good example: Once, my main daily driver was a 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. In the 1982 model year they switched from the wood grain style dash bezel (that I preferred) to the marble styled one (which I hated) and I was on a forum dedicated to those old cars and someone was selling one of the wood styled versions, and when I inquired about it, he set an outrageous $500 price on it. He claimed that I was the only one who liked it (he was tossing it and had gotten the marble one from a junkyard) and if I wanted it bad enough I'd pay. That's what Lenovo seems to be doing.

Kinda sucks. Many would rather buy an old RAZR to get that fix if AT&T hadn't killed their 2G network. I myself revisit 2010 devices by either repurposing them or keeping them active just in case. I got a phone running Android 2.3 that I use for email and a Roku remote. I am just not really that interested in most modern stuff outside the few Apple devices I own.

I would still prefer if they had released basically the original, style and all, with KaiOS and upgraded VoLTE capability. Keep the nostalgia going properly--they did exactly that with a GSM-StarTAC released in the 2000s (the original StarTAC is considered the first popular flip phone, in the mid-90s and operated on AMPS and later CDMA) but the only noticeable change was the ugly colors offered. Some sort of rainbow color scheme.

Palm Phone made the same mistake, by releasing something intended to cater to those who missed the Palm Pre but ditched wireless charging, didn't use WebOS (Open WebOS is still developed), made it dependent on another phone, and ramped up the price. People who miss WebOS and the Pre don't want another generic Android phone pretending to be something it's clearly not.

Last edited:
Reactions: drinkingtea

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Goodness gracious. This technology is dead in the water until someone figures out how to make glass fold in half without breaking. Right now, a smartphone display that gets scratched by a fingernail is just complete comedy.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If skeuomorphism hadn't died, we might have holographic phones by now instead of easily-breaking folding LCDs. What might have been...

That scene from Iron Man with Stark "tossing" his holographic files into the "trash" was simply amazing...the natural evolution of skeuomorphism...then Ive had to happen.

I'd also love some smaller displays coming back. like 4" and under. I can't be the only one who sees folks using their Max or Plus or whatever Note is the latest and not see Zack Morris with his brick phone.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm not sure why some have a problem understanding that there are plenty of people that can afford a bit of fun and want something different to the mass of glass slabs out there

Most use but a fraction of their phones capabilities and are not spec chasers like enthusiasts here

If you can afford it, enjoy :)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Most use but a fraction of their phones capabilities and are not spec chasers like enthusiasts here

This is one of the reasons I often use my Galaxy S5 over my iPhone, and don't care one iota about upgrading.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I'm not sure why some have a problem understanding that there are plenty of people that can afford a bit of fun and want something different to the mass of glass slabs out there

But this phone isn't "a bit of fun." It's clearly a flawed product given its poor durability. I don't think anyone will truly enjoy using it once it's in their hands. I just can't imagine spending that much money on a device that seems to be nearly broken out of the box according to reviewers. Motorola clearly rushed this product out.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
But this phone isn't "a bit of fun." It's clearly a flawed product given its poor durability. I don't think anyone will truly enjoy using it once it's in their hands. I just can't imagine spending that much money on a device that seems to be nearly broken out of the box according to reviewers. Motorola clearly rushed this product out.
Only from your perspective

Others may well have different values as do those that think $1000+ smart phones are a complete waste

Many people buy what others may considered flawed like $1000 shoes you can get wet

Each to there own, sure it won't be a mass device but why does it have to be, diversity and choice :)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I think we all can agree it's a niche device at best. Lenovo doesn't depend on it to succeed overall, it's just some extra cash for them.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Goodness gracious. This technology is dead in the water until someone figures out how to make glass fold in half without breaking. Right now, a smartphone display that gets scratched by a fingernail is just complete comedy.

So, there's this small company called Samsung, you should look them up. They just released a device called the Galaxy Z Flip. They're the first to create and manufacture foldable glass. It's quite the engineering accomplishment.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
And their phones have all failed so far re: folding screens as far back as the first Galaxy Fold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.