Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDC77

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
Does the Galaxy Watch 4 have any compatibility issues with non Samsung Android phones? The official website offers minimum specifications required on the phone as well as a list of phones for certain regions that seems very limited. Reviews available online do mention that certain health as well as other features may not be available for non Samsung Android phones. I'd like to know what the compatibility of the Galaxy Watch 4 is with the Oppo Reno 2. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
^ Some reviewers mentioned it's compatible with non-samsung Android phones, but to take full advantages of the health monitors, you will need the Samsung phone.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
^ Some reviewers mentioned it's compatible with non-samsung Android phones, but to take full advantages of the health monitors, you will need the Samsung phone.

I don't think that's true. I think you just have to download all the Samsung apps to take advantage of it. So Samsung health and the associated plug ins. I have a galaxy Active 2 and I've used it with Pixel devices. It will just prompt you to download plug ins during setup.

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I don't think that's true. I think you just have to download all the Samsung apps to take advantage of it. So Samsung health and the associated plug ins. I have a galaxy Active 2 and I've used it with Pixel devices. It will just prompt you to download plug ins during setup.
The reviewers were testing on Watch 4, not active 2. Watch 4 has more health features.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
It’ll work just fine with non-Samsung Androids (needs about 4 apps to function, though) but the new ECG, Blood Pressure and Snoring (!) features will NOT work. This is because they require the new Samsung Health Monitor app which is not available in the Google Play Store and sideloading it simply throws up a “not compatible“ error.

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I cancelled my GW 4 classic, and re-ordered the same with a free sport band. It should be here in 2 weeks.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What are you all using for email? I must say that is a glaring omission versus the Watch3. I'm not stoked about handing my data to Microsoft Outlook and getting ads...

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I heard that Fossil Gen 6 is coming out with WearOS 3? So this GW4 exclusivity is a bit sketchy.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Got the 40mm watch4 today, bit annoyed that it only came with the s/m size strap though, come on Samsung. It does fit but I'd like it to have been a tad longer on the tail end.

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I ordered 46mm version a couple weeks ago and I got a free s/m sport band. I just got it today, 9/7, and installed s/m sport band. It's really nice upgrade from the original galaxy watch I have.

20210907_164911.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Healer Flame

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
So my Watch4 didn't record my sleep or anything last night because I'd taken it off and when I put it back on I forgot to put my pin in to unlock it. I'm sure my old Apple watch still recorded stuff while locked...

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
So my Watch4 didn't record my sleep or anything last night because I'd taken it off and when I put it back on I forgot to put my pin in to unlock it. I'm sure my old Apple watch still recorded stuff while locked...
Thanks for the info. I think Samsung stepping through how to secure the watch with payment app enable to prevent un-authorized users. You can either secure it before the app is used or just lock the watch when it's off your wrist. I guess Samsung could allow health app running when the watch is locked, then the health monitors would be useless since the watch might not be strapped on your wrist. I always unlock my watch after putting on the watch so there is no issue with me. I guess it would nice to have option on the app to run when the watch is locked, but not the app's that are required NCF on.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info. I think Samsung stepping through how to secure the watch with payment app enable to prevent un-authorized users. You can either secure it before the app is used or just lock the watch when it's off your wrist. I guess Samsung could allow health app running when the watch is locked, then the health monitors would be useless since the watch might not be strapped on your wrist. I always unlock my watch after putting on the watch so there is no issue with me. I guess it would nice to have option on the app to run when the watch is locked, but not the app's that are required NCF on.
I usually do unlock it right away but it was late at night as I was falling asleep so I just put it back on without thinking lol.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I originally pre-ordered the watch4 classic 46mm but after a week of using it I felt it was too similar physically to my earlier watch3 45mm.. thus ordered the watch4 44mm for a different experience.

I must admit.. after a week I am still happy with my decision especially the weight.. the normal watch4 is a keeper! :)

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I originally pre-ordered the watch4 classic 46mm but after a week of using it I felt it was too similar physically to my earlier watch3 45mm.. thus ordered the watch4 44mm for a different experience.

I must admit.. after a week I am still happy with my decision especially the weight.. the normal watch4 is a keeper! :)
I love my 40mm Watch4, I think the design is superior to the Classic version and I don't like massive watches in general.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
First day with my watch 4 classic 46mm.

I got home from work with 72% battery, so I'm happy.

I gave my frontier to my friend, it still gets a days worth of battery after 5 years, one small scratch on the screen which is amazing seeing as part of my job involves sandblasting car glass, the sand is very abrasive. (which is why I like having the watch)

I've ordered a stainless strap, unfortunately the sport strap isn't available in NZ yet, it does look nice.

Lovely watch, should last me a few years.

I personally could go with a 48-50mm watch, no problems.

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I saw similar OEM straps selling Aliexpress. I might get hybrid leather strap but don't which color I would get. The watch has been working great. I tried sleep monitor with snore detection.....I'm still snoring, and have no deep sleep at all. I guess I have to skip the evening coffee and see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.