Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
So the honeymoon period is now over with the regular Watch4 44mm.

The regular Watch4 is not a bad watch by any means but I actually missed the rotating bezel so I ended up ordering the Watch4 Classic LTE 46mm when the Vodafone UK deal came up for £288 (30% off RRP).

Reactions: UltraInstinct

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So the honeymoon period is now over with the regular Watch4 44mm.

The regular Watch4 is not a bad watch by any means but I actually missed the rotating bezel so I ended up ordering the Watch4 Classic LTE 46mm when the Vodafone UK deal came up for £288 (30% off RRP).
What is / was the Vodafone UK deal? :)

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
What is / was the Vodafone UK deal? :)
You can currently get the Galaxy Watch4 Classic 4G unlocked from Vodafone UK (see their website) for £288 outright - that is a discount of £121 (or 30% off) over normal price of £409!

Also note, you don't have to be a Vodafone customer (I am not one)! You also qualify for that £75 Google Play voucher promotion.

Good deal me thinks! :)

Reactions: Aneres11

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm selling my Watch4 40mm LTE. I told Bixby to call someone in my phone book this morning and it misspelled their name by switching 2 letters – and then said the contact could not be found. I tried spelling it and it couldn't do it. I tried about 4 times before giving up. It was a stupid moment and I decided that I wasn't happy with the product. I had a good time with the Watch3 and used the workout features, tracking etc. but I think I'll be okay without it. I also realized that I like being less connected, not more. I will miss leaving my big phone at home when going out for small errands, but tbh after seeing how much better the Apple watch is I'll consider jumping back on next year when they make it better. Overall it is a pretty good product but at this point I'd rather get rid of it after spending 9 months with the Galaxy Watch (Watch3 until late August, then Watch4 since then).

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
After owning GW4 46mm non-LTE for a few weeks now, I have to say it was a great upgrade from the old GW. There are some bugs with Google app's, but anything else with Samsung app's working great. I think the battery life is on point of having faster CPU, responsive and better display. I manage to get at least 2 days with my routine. Samsung did a great job on 1st gen WearOS 3 watch, and hope it will be improving from there.
20210926_120813.jpg

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
The battery life on my Watch 4 (40mm, BT / WiFi only) over the past few days has been atrocious and I really don't know what changed! I've dug into the battery statistics and nothing really stands out as causing it. How's the battery life been for everyone else?

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
The battery life on my Watch 4 (40mm, BT / WiFi only) over the past few days has been atrocious and I really don't know what changed! I've dug into the battery statistics and nothing really stands out as causing it. How's the battery life been for everyone else?
People on Reddit have mentioned similar issues since the last update. Might be worth restarting your watch at the very least.

Reactions: three

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
People on Reddit have mentioned similar issues since the last update. Might be worth restarting your watch at the very least.
I'm glad it's not only me! I've restarted once but it can't hurt to restart again. I appreciate the quick response!

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019

My battery has been good, here's a screenshot. I have the 46mm classic. I use my watch mostly for notifications, the occasional call, sleep and fitness tracking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210928-161303_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-161303_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 92

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
My battery has been good, here's a screenshot. I have the 46mm classic. I use my watch mostly for notifications, the occasional call, sleep and fitness tracking.

My stats are similar to yours. I don't know why some people are reporting bad battery life. Mine as been very good. Usually last 2 full days with no problem.

My guess is either they have some rogue apps on the phone, brightness turned up with aod on, or they have a non Samsung device and one of the plug in services is out of control.

Reactions: Zito Abroad

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
Anyone else turn on snore detection? I've gotta admit, I'm surprised at the snoring I thought I never did. :eek:
I did a few times to check how bad it was. The battery seems to be consistently at 2+ days for 100% charge. I have everything on with health monitors are continuous set. My always on display is off and usually I use black background watch face.

Screenshot_20210928_202554_batterysavingsettings.png

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
The battery life on this Watch (46mm) blows my old Frontier's battery away.

I'm super happy with this watch.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Regarding the battery life issue, my Watch4 40mm had very good battery life and was noticeably better than the Watch3.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I've been thinking about the Watch lately. I don't know anything about the Android Wearables, but I did get a Samsung S21+. I've heard positives and negatives about the watch but does anyone have any tips or helpful sources of research. I've see the Galaxy Watch 4 and the 4 Classic, which is like 100 more expensive than the regular. I guess I can go with the regular, or is there a non-samsung watch that is better. I do kinda miss the Apple Watch, even though I don't miss the monthly challenges and the anxiety it brought.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I've been thinking about the Watch lately. I don't know anything about the Android Wearables, but I did get a Samsung S21+. I've heard positives and negatives about the watch but does anyone have any tips or helpful sources of research. I've see the Galaxy Watch 4 and the 4 Classic, which is like 100 more expensive than the regular. I guess I can go with the regular, or is there a non-samsung watch that is better. I do kinda miss the Apple Watch, even though I don't miss the monthly challenges and the anxiety it brought.
I’m using 12PM for my main device with Apple Watch so I don’t have the latest Galaxy Watch but my husband upgraded to Watch 4 Classic and he really likes it. I really liked my Gear S3 and then Watch Active2. The classic screen is worth the extra $$ IMO as it is virtually indestructible with the stainless bezel. Plus I really like the physical rotating bezel.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As @koigirl mention… the screen is what made me choose the classic over the regular. I wanted a bigger screen and you getting a bigger battery as well. And I came into Android Wearables after almost two years without having a smart watch.

I used to have an Apple Watch and when I moved to Android… the Apple Watch had to go, then I decided to wait for a good opportunity to buy a smart watch. Once Samsung and Google decided to go into wearables together, I was excited to jump on board. And I’ve had Apple Watch for years, what makes this GW4 such an awesome experience… is the watch faces.

Looking into all the combinations that can go into designing a watch face… it’s really fun. I’m getting notifications… battery life is decent, health features work well. Now, that I have a smart watch.. I don’t miss the Apple Watch.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
There was an insane sale so I got the 44mm black version without the mechanical bezel. I prefer the cleaner look overall it's completely flat display wise. The 'touch bezel' is way to sensitive, you either get nothing or it zooms too fast but I'm sure it's got a setting to reduce the sensitivity somewhere.

It doesn't feel like WearOS. I hated Wear OS. The amount of times back in 2.x where Google Assistant either couldn't do a thing (sad cloud saying connect to your phone) or it taking more steps than using Google Now in Wear 1.5 (such as sending a text now requiring you to tap 'send' instead of it being completely hands-free in the past, and remains hands-free via Bixby and I don't want to lose that!) was too many. Wear 2.x lagged and had horrible battery life. On my Urbane I was charging it TWICE daily as it'd barely make it more than 4-6 hours STANDBY just with AoD on.

So my expectations were low anyway. I only got the Watch 4 to take advantage of the brand new sleep features that Samsung Health claims 'requires a Watch 4 or above' (not so sure why!).

So far, battery life mirrors my Watch 3 and Apple Watch Series 5. It goes all day, usually around 37-40% by the time I take a shower at 5PM, so I charge it during that time. Same settings, AoD on, all tracking health features on continuous, and Wifi on.

I love how they kept Bixby. Maybe I'm just lucky but it works far better than the Assistant ever did, and even if it spells something wrong it immediately corrects it and works 'Hi Bixby, show the home screen' produces 'glow the home cream' and it autocorrects to 'Show the Home Screen' and does as expected. Some of the 'assumptions' are hilarious but it always corrects and gets the intent.

I love how it doesn't look or feel like Wear OS. It feels like Tizen which I prefer. The app 'bubbles' are similar to Apple watch and a lot of the UI changes make it more like an Apple Watch or at least similar, and the Body Composition is hard to make work (too three tries before I got a reading, but my dexterity sucks and I guess you need to be as limber as a 18 year-old for it to work properly but oh well). However, unlike my Apple Watch, the ECG works. Apple kept giving me 'inconclusive' but both Watch 3 and Watch 4 give me 'sinus rhythm'. Apple still can't handle my higher-than-normal (but normal for me after having a real ECG done) resting BPM for some reason.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm giving some thought of buying this watch but I am concerned about Battery Life. I already have the Samsung S21+, but would this be a good purchase or is there a better watch?

I do kinda miss the Apple Watch, which I had to give up when I switched from Iphone to Android.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I'm giving some thought of buying this watch but I am concerned about Battery Life. I already have the Samsung S21+, but would this be a good purchase or is there a better watch?

I do kinda miss the Apple Watch, which I had to give up when I switched from Iphone to Android.

I get around 35- 40 hours on a constant basis with AOD enabled.

Reactions: Klyster

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If you have an android phone and want a decent smartwatch, the Galaxy Watch 4 and Classic are your only real options IMO.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Samsung still gimps the experience if you don't own a Samsung phone; don't expect the new sleep tracking or ECG/BP (latter depending on where you live) to work, or for Bixby to be fully functional (i.e., Text messages)

Other than that, it's unlike any WearOS watch I've owned. Battery life at the minimum is akin to the Apple Watch Series 5. You'll get a full day with anywhere between 25-40% remaining with everything on.

J273

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Does anyone use a nest or ring doorbell and have a galaxy watch 4?

Do you get rich notifications on the doorbell press showing you who is at the door on your watch? That's what I love about my apple watch but fancy switching back to android and getting a galaxy watch 4

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.