Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Android 11: What’s the point of always having the home bar showing on the home screen? It just looks ugly and I don’t see why it’s needed. People know to swipe up to view apps.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pic on a nature trail hike today;

Attachments

• PXL_20200913_174447780.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20200913_174447780.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 283

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Loving my Pixel 4 so far but the widgets need some serious love, especially when you see the ones in iOS 14.
I feel just the opposite...The widgets on my P4XL as elegant and evolved compared to the ones on IOS 14 on my 11 Pro Max.
I can resize and move them around wherever I want them to be. Then some of them are transparent!

Reactions: yui4 and mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I feel just the opposite...The widgets on my P4XL as elegant and evolved compared to the ones on IOS 14 on my 11 Pro Max.
I can resize and move them around wherever I want them to be. Then some of them are transparent!
Yep the only widgets that I wish Android would pull from is weather and maps. But then again, they're not transparent so beret hope you don't want pictures of your kids or pets as your wallpaper.

Reactions: jamezr

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm definitely glad I've finally had the opportunity to try the Pixel experience. However... I've got an 11 Pro arriving tomorrow.

While there are are certain elements of the Android world I love (the Google Nest stuff and the Pixel range), there is just something about the aesthetics of the iPhone and the Apple ecosystem itself that just has me, just like so many of you that the Android way of doing things/ecosystem has you.

My mate a couple of months ago was a bit surprised when I said I was getting a Pixel - said "always thought you were an Apple guy". And tbh, I think he's right.

When I was thinking about it, I've tried to overcomplicate my life by making the switch when there really wasn't anything wrong with the experience I had. Huge case of the grass isn't always greener...

So I'll use/have the Pixel 4 as a back up device or if I fancy the odd day with it.

I've also had a full tech declutter - all the Google stuff that I wasn't ever going to use (Pixel Buds, Stadia, Chromecast Ultras, Mini's) - all sold last week. So we have a Nest Camera for the baby's room, one Nest Hub in the living room (we like the rotating photos and we'll receive motion alerts from the Camera), and a Nest Mini in our daughters room that she'll use with a free Spotify account.

Bar that, it's back to the tried and tested.

I had a bet with my wife that I'd have her switching to Android before I went back to an iPhone. Needless to say she's feeling quite smug at the moment. But I'm happy, the wife is happy and we can just get on with the important things now.

Reactions: nospleen

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I'm definitely glad I've finally had the opportunity to try the Pixel experience. However... I've got an 11 Pro arriving tomorrow.

While there are are certain elements of the Android world I love (the Google Nest stuff and the Pixel range), there is just something about the aesthetics of the iPhone and the Apple ecosystem itself that just has me, just like so many of you that the Android way of doing things/ecosystem has you.

My mate a couple of months ago was a bit surprised when I said I was getting a Pixel - said "always thought you were an Apple guy". And tbh, I think he's right.

When I was thinking about it, I've tried to overcomplicate my life by making the switch when there really wasn't anything wrong with the experience I had. Huge case of the grass isn't always greener...

So I'll use/have the Pixel 4 as a back up device or if I fancy the odd day with it.

I've also had a full tech declutter - all the Google stuff that I wasn't ever going to use (Pixel Buds, Stadia, Chromecast Ultras, Mini's) - all sold last week. So we have a Nest Camera for the baby's room, one Nest Hub in the living room (we like the rotating photos and we'll receive motion alerts from the Camera), and a Nest Mini in our daughters room that she'll use with a free Spotify account.

I had a bet with my wife that I'd have her switching to Android before I went back to an iPhone. Needless to say she's feeling quite smug at the moment. But I'm happy, the wife is happy and we can just get on with the important things now.
Have to do what feels most comfortable and useful. Very good to try a variety of options (many people won’t do that for various reasons). Enjoy your 11 Pro!

Reactions: BMox81

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

My Wife isn't a techie at all. ......in the least. I always have to do stuff for her like send a pic in a text or attach something for her, send a link in a text and copy and paste something. The little things.

However, she has an iPad that she uses everyday, has a Android Galaxy phone and used to have a Windows phone and has managed to use all three OS systems well without having to do other things I mentioned.

I don't think she thinks about it. She just uses them and has never said anything like "stupid Android or stupid Apple" lol.

Just strikes me funny how she is that way while after what you stated as to why you just can't leave Apple or why someone can't leave Android.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
My Wife is the same, non techie whatsoever. I give her all of my year old phones, she's on the Pixel 3 XL now, before that she had the 2 XL, etc... She's never once moaned about the Pixel experience, and never once asked to get an Apple iPhone. Her view is, it's a smartphone, does what she needs, ie; make phone calls, text family and friends, do work e-mails, get GPS navigation, and surf the web for whatever. She doesn't care what brand or type of smartphone it is. I know over the years, she has commented on how she likes Widgets, and the Google News Feed on the side screen.

The one smartphone I got her long ago, that she actually commented on in a good way, was the Galaxy Note 7, she did like the S-Pen for jotting down notes, and things. But a year later she didn't use it as much as she would have thought, so didn't ask for another Note.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm rocking the Pixel 4 XL one year on, and still like my phone. Android 11 didn't seem to help or hurt performance. Seems pretty much the same, maybe a hair smoother. Battery life is good on this phone, certainly not iPhone 11 Pro Max great, but it's not terrible, it's in the middle.

Reactions: yui4 and jamezr

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Finally getting around to taking the android 11 ota. Massive 1.72gb download! As always any more during an update I have the question of, "will it brick?!" Now I got to mull over the idea if I want to root and go through that (probably in time for yet another update ?

It's been so long since I've done anything with the device. Almost forgotten the adb commands ?

Wow, took a little bit to get updates and re rooted. I don't think I broke anything lol. How's android 11

Last edited:

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
I have an opportunity to get in on the Pixel line up again having not tried one since the first gen model a few years back.

I can get the 4XL in white and the 4a 5G for pretty much the same price so am in a bit of a dilemma.

I know the differences for the most part but wondered what others experience was of the two phones in day to day use.

Would you definitely go for one over the other if there was next to no price difference?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I want 5g which I can currently access with my carrier at this point and the 4a has a headphone jack, fancy that. It will be arriving today.

Reactions: andy2141

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I keep wanting to move to an iPhone 12 mini, just because the mini part really intrigues me (even though I have a Unihertz Jelly 2 pending arrival) but I have to try my hardest to not scratch that itch and keep my Pixel 4a because honestly it does nothing but meet my needs, no issues whatsoever other than I miss my ultrawide camera on scenic trips.

The customization offered by Android though is fantastic. I've previously rooted, rom'd, custom kernels, recoveries, etc but haven't felt that need on the Pixel. Just swapped my launcher yesterday just for the heck of it and used one of Google's animated wallpapers, quite fun!

Untitled.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So just noticed this past week that my Pixel was about out of battery while sitting on my Pixel Stand. Long story short, the Pixel 4 XL no longer charges wirelessly, on any wireless charger. After a painfully long chat with Google Support, they advised I can bring it to their repair partner uBreakiFit, who should have it repaired in a few hours under warranty. Alternate option was to mail it in—passed on that as I figured it would likely take forever. Not that it is applicable to this situation as this is a warranty issue (had the phone for 9 months) but I have their Preferred Care too.

I brought it to uBreakiFix who advised me that it is in fact covered by warranty but they need 2 business days for diagnostics and then they’ll reach out to me. Guy helping me was quite polite, his boss was pretty douchey in the way he talked to him from in back about the two day turnaround when he questioned it. I’m not pushing the issue as it’s not my primary daily driver and am curious to see how this all plays out. And for what it’s worth, I was the only customer in the shop over the 20 min I was there.

This situation is exactly why Apple gets quite a bit of customer service praise here in the US. Same situation with my iPhone and they would’ve offered to express ship me a replacement first (as long as I was OK with a temporary credit card hold to cover the cost of the device) or I could’ve had this handled quite quickly at the Apple Store (assuming I could‘ve gotten in for an appointment).

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
I keep wanting to move to an iPhone 12 mini, just because the mini part really intrigues me (even though I have a Unihertz Jelly 2 pending arrival) but I have to try my hardest to not scratch that itch and keep my Pixel 4a because honestly it does nothing but meet my needs, no issues whatsoever other than I miss my ultrawide camera on scenic trips.

The customization offered by Android though is fantastic. I've previously rooted, rom'd, custom kernels, recoveries, etc but haven't felt that need on the Pixel. Just swapped my launcher yesterday just for the heck of it and used one of Google's animated wallpapers, quite fun!

View attachment 1683413
Live this screen and the apps at the left how did you do that? is that a launcher?

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Picked up a 4xl a few days back. Don't know what's going on because last time I had 1 the battery life wasn't too clever. This time the battery has been crazy good in comparison. I've been seeing around 8hrs SOT before going to bed and putting it on the charger. Even then the battery isn't dead, I just charge every night regardless.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I’ve been tempted to pick up a cheap 4. There’s really no reason (in my opinion) to choose a Pixel 5 over the Pixel 4, unless you want a fingerprint scanner and wide camera.

Camera (main) is basically the same, but you get the neural core thing. Still 90hz, really solid facial unlock, better build quality, no hole punch (although that’s a matter of preference).
And with all the updates coming to both phones at the same time, it makes it a bit of a no brainer for me. Plus I love squeeze to Assistant and was sad to see it go.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’ve been tempted to pick up a cheap 4. There’s really no reason (in my opinion) to choose a Pixel 5 over the Pixel 4, unless you want a fingerprint scanner and wide camera.

Camera (main) is basically the same, but you get the neural core thing. Still 90hz, really solid facial unlock, better build quality, no hole punch (although that’s a matter of preference).
And with all the updates coming to both phones at the same time, it makes it a bit of a no brainer for me. Plus I love squeeze to Assistant and was sad to see it go.

4 or 4XL? There's one simple reason to not get a Pixel 4... it has the worst battery on any flagship level smartphone in 5 years. The 4XL is still a very good phone.

Reactions: yui4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.