Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Not an upgrade, a side step. I was trialling the Xperia 1 Mark 2. I love Sony phones, but unfortunately, they never live up to expectation.
Ah. On Android I have stuck Google Pixel or Samsung Galaxy. They have lived up to my expectation but to be honsest it was never that high. I really don't like iOS so when Windows mobile stopped it was iOS or Android....

Reactions: yui4 and Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm on the beta now. It really does feel like an official release.
I know it's early days, but normally with previous Android betas I end up rolling back quite quickly as it feels janky and, well... beta-ish.

I love the power button menu now. Having access to all of my Hue lights is great.

The ability to screen shot from the open apps screen is amazing and editing a screen grab is the most fluid it has ever been. And no more screen shot notification!

The new media controls are also great.

Screenshot_20200708-224746.png

And I love the control panel like settings menu with the Bluetooth and WiFi details.

Screenshot_20200708-224830.png

Loving it so far.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Further update now I've used the Android 11 beta for a few days.
One strange quirk - screen flickering. This is only noticeable in dimmer lighting condition s but I read a Google article about it earlier. Apparently it's a known issue... It isn't noticeable in the day.

In addition, the new Google Photo app (new logo, revamped UI) is not available on the beta for some users. Myself included. It's gone back to the old logo and UI. Not a big deal as photos was ok before but it's just a bit of a strange one.

Still very stable and still think the new screenshot method is great!

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Further update now I've used the Android 11 beta for a few days.
One strange quirk - screen flickering. This is only noticeable in dimmer lighting condition s but I read a Google article about it earlier. Apparently it's a known issue... It isn't noticeable in the day.

In addition, the new Google Photo app (new logo, revamped UI) is not available on the beta for some users. Myself included. It's gone back to the old logo and UI. Not a big deal as photos was ok before but it's just a bit of a strange one.

Still very stable and still think the new screenshot method is great!
I havent noticed the screen flickering at all, also I still have the new Google photo app after updating to Android 11 beta 2. What phone do you use? Mine is a Pixel 4xl.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I havent noticed the screen flickering at all, also I still have the new Google photo app after updating to Android 11 beta 2. What phone do you use? Mine is a Pixel 4xl.
You won't notice it 90% of the time. It's only in low light (so when I'm in bed and lights are off and screen brightness is low). And it may not even impact you, it isn't everyone.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
So I just bought a used but immaculate pixel 4xl for £395.

should be delivered in next few days. Can’t wait!
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and still love it. It's now the second best phone I have ever had. Number one being my Nokia 1020 windows phone. God I miss that camera and phone, everyone is all about how the camera is now on phones, the 1020 4 years ago already had a 32mp camera! If I hadnt dropped it and broke the camera I would still be using it to this day just as a camera, but I do have to say the Pixel 4xl camera is pretty stunning as well.
[automerge]1594462626[/automerge]
You won't notice it 90% of the time. It's only in low light (so when I'm in bed and lights are off and screen brightness is low). And it may not even impact you, it isn't everyone.
What phone are you running? I am still curious about the photo app though because I had read that online after updating and checked my phone but still had the new one.

Reactions: yui4

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and still love it. It's now the second best phone I have ever had. Number one being my Nokia 1020 windows phone. God I miss that camera and phone, everyone is all about how the camera is now on phones, the 1020 4 years ago already had a 32mp camera! If I hadnt dropped it and broke the camera I would still be using it to this day just as a camera, but I do have to say the Pixel 4xl camera is pretty stunning as well.
[automerge]1594462626[/automerge]

What phone are you running? I am still curious about the photo app though because I had read that online after updating and checked my phone but still had the new one.

I'm using a Pixel 4. You say it like you don't believe me lol.
Articles showing the issues:

Google photos:

Screen flicker:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I'm using a Pixel 4. You say it like you don't believe me lol.
Articles showing the issues:

Google photos:

Screen flicker:

No I believe you 100 percent that you have the issues. Sorry it came of that way. I never doubted your credibility. I was just wondering if it was because I might have had a different phone and it might only effect certain phones. I have a pixel 4 xl. Maybe it's only the pixel 4 that is having issues, that is what I was inquiring about.:)

Reactions: yui4 and Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
No I believe you 100 percent that you have the issues. Sorry it came of that way. I never doubted your credibility. I was just wondering if it was because I might have had a different phone and it might only effect certain phones
The beta (to my knowledge) is only available on Pixel phones? But yeah, seeing both the issues as posted above. It's no big deal, the flicker isn't visible in day time and the photos thing doesn't bother me as it still works the same way.

Bound to happen on a beta as long as it doesn't happen in the full release. ?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Love my Pixel 4. Camera is amazing and software is stable. Battery life not terrible not great. I do wish it was a bit larger. My Pixel is my secondary phone, so I don't use it as much though out the day as my iPhone (witch gets amazing battery life by the way).

Last edited:

SocialKonstruct

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Midvale, UT
My Google Pixel 3XL has the best battery life ever which scares me so I look forward to the new iteration.
I thought the LG V60 was going to improve but it bombed. And the OnePlus 7T is very beautiful but battery life sucksssss!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Forgot just how bad the battery life on the Pixel 4 is. Easily the worst battery life on any phone I have ever used. It's not so much of an issue now I'm working at home for the foreseeable, so it is always on a desk with wireless charging... But man, it's terrible.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Forgot just how bad the battery life on the Pixel 4 is. Easily the worst battery life on any phone I have ever used. It's not so much of an issue now I'm working at home for the foreseeable, so it is always on a desk with wireless charging... But man, it's terrible.
Mine isn't the best but it's far from bad. I have soli switched off and no AOD and I am getting between 5 and 6 hours screen on time.

I had a busy day yesterday with friends round in the evening so didnt use my phone a whole lot, come 11pm ish I still had 60% odd left. It is more than enough for me.

A couple of days ago I was heading out and I was around 40%, a quick blast on the charger seen me up to 80% so no dramas there. I'm actually quite happy with the Pixel 4 in general, my only gripe is certain apps still don't support the Face Unlock.

Reactions: kaielement

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Mine isn't the best but it's far from bad. I have soli switched off and no AOD and I am getting between 5 and 6 hours screen on time.

I had a busy day yesterday with friends round in the evening so didnt use my phone a whole lot, come 11pm ish I still had 60% odd left. It is more than enough for me.

A couple of days ago I was heading out and I was around 40%, a quick blast on the charger seen me up to 80% so no dramas there. I'm actually quite happy with the Pixel 4 in general, my only gripe is certain apps still don't support the Face Unlock.

It's bad. There's no other word for it. The Pixel 2 had bad battery life, the 3 had bad battery life and so does the 4. It's a huge concern that Google can't get this right.

Cool if it works for you but I have never ever got anywhere near 5-6 hours SoT on a regular Pixel. I also have Soli and AoD turned off, features I shouldn't have to relinquish to try and get better battery but it's a trade off.

Could be the Beta making it worse, but even our of beta it's crap battery.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
It's bad. There's no other word for it. The Pixel 2 had bad battery life, the 3 had bad battery life and so does the 4. It's a huge concern that Google can't get this right.

Cool if it works for you but I have never ever got anywhere near 5-6 hours SoT on a regular Pixel. I also have Soli and AoD turned off, features I shouldn't have to relinquish to try and get better battery but it's a trade off.

Could be the Beta making it worse, but even our of beta it's crap battery.
Soli isn't a useful feature for me and I never use always on display so it's not really a sacrifice - if being disabled helps with battery then that's great.

I never had the Pixel 2 but did have the 3 and can agree the battery on that was poor, I struggled to get 3 hours screen on with it, I sold it within a week.

In the beginning I was apprehensive about the small battery on the 4 but decided I would give it a punt(like I do with most phones). To my surprise, for whatever reason, its doing OK for me, not great, but OK.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Soli isn't a useful feature for me and I never use always on display so it's not really a sacrifice - if being disabled helps with battery then that's great.

I never had the Pixel 2 but did have the 3 and can agree the battery on that was poor, I struggled to get 3 hours screen on with it, I sold it within a week.

In the beginning I was apprehensive about the small battery on the 4 but decided I would give it a punt(like I do with most phones). To my surprise, for whatever reason, its doing OK for me, not great, but OK.
I'm being honest on this post, I literally want to know. For me I just use my phone for calling and texting. I use Google maps and Spotify but that's in the car and a charger. So for me battery life has never been an issue. I use my laptop for doing searches, browsing the web, Netflix etc. To me I guess I think of my phone as a backup of my laptop in case it isn't working or around. Why do anything on the phone if you have a much larger screen on a laptop unless it's something only the phone can do? Such as browsing the Internet, Facebook, etc?

Is it social media mainly? I'm one of the people who hate Facebook other than just to chat with my old friends from school and Navy? The last time I was interested in social media was Myspace lol and that was mostly because you could have an add on to see who and many times someone viewed your profile.... (In HS at the time so you could see if a certain female was interested in you) So why waste phone battery instead of computer? But as I said what do I know because i will drive off not realizing I left my phone at home, where as most people won't get in a car until they know they have their phone. ?

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
The beta (to my knowledge) is only available on Pixel phones? But yeah, seeing both the issues as posted above. It's no big deal, the flicker isn't visible in day time and the photos thing doesn't bother me as it still works the same way.

Bound to happen on a beta as long as it doesn't happen in the full release. ?
The Google photos app got updated to the new one on my pixel running the beta so might want to check that out!

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Received my pixel 4xl and been using it exclusively. This is the first vanilla Android I’ve had since the old nexus days.
The only thing is, I’m not really that taken with it if I’m honest. I miss the extras that come with a Samsung. I’m disappointed as a really wanted to like the phone after all the rave reviews over its software but sadly I miss one UI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.