Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Received my pixel 4xl and been using it exclusively. This is the first vanilla Android I’ve had since the old nexus days.
The only thing is, I’m not really that taken with it if I’m honest. I miss the extras that come with a Samsung. I’m disappointed as a really wanted to like the phone after all the rave reviews over its software but sadly I miss one UI
I'm the opposite, my pixel 4xl is the first vanilla android I have ever had, and I have only used Samsung Phones only on android and I love the Vanilla over One UI. The good thing about Android is that it doesn't matter, you can just go to the play store and download a launcher that pretty much copies one UI and an Icon theme pack if you really want to and pretty much have the same. Hell they have an iOS like launcher, a windows mobile like launcher with the live tiles (which i tried out) a launcher that turns your phone into pretty much Windows 10, I'm sure they have one to mimic MacOS and also Microsoft has a launcher that is a lot like One UI and IMO is better. I always ended up going to it over the One UI launcher in the end anyway. Try Microsoft's, it's called Microsoft Launcher and see if you like that one, you can also use an icon pack on it unlike Pixel Launcher. As i said if there is ever something I dont like about my android, there is always an alternative on the play store that I can get and customize it to how I like unlike iOS

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Mine isn't the best but it's far from bad. I have soli switched off and no AOD and I am getting between 5 and 6 hours screen on time.

I had a busy day yesterday with friends round in the evening so didnt use my phone a whole lot, come 11pm ish I still had 60% odd left. It is more than enough for me.

A couple of days ago I was heading out and I was around 40%, a quick blast on the charger seen me up to 80% so no dramas there. I'm actually quite happy with the Pixel 4 in general, my only gripe is certain apps still don't support the Face Unlock.
I agree with what you said. I have even gotten to the point where I have forgotten the phone even has soli. I know my Pixel 4 is my secondary phone but even on my heaver days of Pixel usage I never had any real battery issues. But on the other hand I could also see why some people would want a bigger battery.

Reactions: MarkX

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Further update now I've used the Android 11 beta for a few days.
One strange quirk - screen flickering. This is only noticeable in dimmer lighting condition s but I read a Google article about it earlier. Apparently it's a known issue... It isn't noticeable in the day.

In addition, the new Google Photo app (new logo, revamped UI) is not available on the beta for some users. Myself included. It's gone back to the old logo and UI. Not a big deal as photos was ok before but it's just a bit of a strange one.

Still very stable and still think the new screenshot method is great!
Heads up. Beta 2.5 is out and supposed to take care of the screen flickering issue.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Being on Paternity Leave means you have a bit of spare time when you’re not changing nappies and doing bottles, so I read through the thread from October onwards.

What a ride! ?

It’s certainly made my mind up and should the Pixel 5 flatter to deceive, I’ll be picking up a 4XL when my contract is up in a couple of months.

robertts

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Pixel 4 will probably be my last Pixel device I purchase. Everything up until the last 3 days has been a wonderful experience. I've been rocking the regular Pixel 4 for about 8 months or so, and it's been the best smartphone experience I've ever had. But 3 days ago, I woke up and noticed that the back had popped out (I speculate the battery was swelling/expanding).

A quick search brought up a Google Reddit post acknowledging the issue and recommending their 1:1 support. Quickly, I contacted them, but this is where it all went down hill. They asked for pictures as they needed to confirm the damage. But when I sent them, they "could not verify that the damage was as described" and "needed 24-48 hours to review the case and if approved, will take 5-10 business days to process. And then additional time to handle the replacement"...

My Pixel 4 looks pristine, and it had been up until this issue, there were no visible signs of wear and tear. However, the rep seemed to suggest that water damage could cause such issue... There was no water damage, and even though it has an IP68 rating, I still avoid any and all liquids. The charger I use is the Pixel Stand, and I say this b/c support recommended that I stop using it and to only use the included charger, since it is supported.

I haven't heard back from Google Support, but this is where we stand. I have, since, ordered and received an iPhone SE, since it seems a bit dangerous to use the Pixel. Anyway, I just wanted to share

• Angry
Reactions: 5105973 and yui4

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Pixel 4 will probably be my last Pixel device I purchase. Everything up until the last 3 days has been a wonderful experience. I've been rocking the regular Pixel 4 for about 8 months or so, and it's been the best smartphone experience I've ever had. But 3 days ago, I woke up and noticed that the back had popped out (I speculate the battery was swelling/expanding).

A quick search brought up a Google Reddit post acknowledging the issue and recommending their 1:1 support. Quickly, I contacted them, but this is where it all went down hill. They asked for pictures as they needed to confirm the damage. But when I sent them, they "could not verify that the damage was as described" and "needed 24-48 hours to review the case and if approved, will take 5-10 business days to process. And then additional time to handle the replacement"...

My Pixel 4 looks pristine, and it had been up until this issue, there were no visible signs of wear and tear. However, the rep seemed to suggest that water damage could cause such issue... There was no water damage, and even though it has an IP68 rating, I still avoid any and all liquids. The charger I use is the Pixel Stand, and I say this b/c support recommended that I stop using it and to only use the included charger, since it is supported.

I haven't heard back from Google Support, but this is where we stand. I have, since, ordered and received an iPhone SE, since it seems a bit dangerous to use the Pixel. Anyway, I just wanted to share

Had a near identical issue a few months ago with my Pixel 3XL. I only charged it use the Pixel stand and all of a sudden one day, back panel is just popping off and it’s quite obvious it due to a swelling battery. My Pixel doesn’t leave the house (or it had not in many month prior) as it’s my secondary phone and setup as our home phone, so water damage was a non-issue.

robertts

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Had a near identical issue a few months ago with my Pixel 3XL. I only charged it use the Pixel stand and all of a sudden one day, back panel is just popping off and it’s quite obvious it due to a swelling battery. My Pixel doesn’t leave the house (or it had not in many month prior) as it’s my secondary phone and setup as our home phone, so water damage was a non-issue.

Did you get it replaced? My case is still being reviewed by the original case agent (day 4)... I've contacted support, but they can't do anything about it since a case agent has already been assigned to it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Did you get it replaced? My case is still being reviewed by the original case agent (day 4)... I've contacted support, but they can't do anything about it since a case agent has already been assigned to it.

Nope...I was out of warranty and wasn't going to pay the device replacement cost...couldn't remember what it would've been. Again, wasn't my daily driver so didn't have the same motivation I likely would've had if it was my primary.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
The sensible option is clearly to get the 4a going from all the reviews, but the 4XL Clearly White edition clearly has some mystical powers over me because I keep thinking “if there is a decent deal about come October, maybe I could get that instead....”

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The sensible option is clearly to get the 4a going from all the reviews, but the 4XL Clearly White edition clearly has some mystical powers over me because I keep thinking “if there is a decent deal about come October, maybe I could get that instead....”

If you can get the 4XL for even $100 more than 4a, do it.

Reactions: jamezr

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
D847575-A-B9-CB-4-B56-BC58-B8969311-AD2-F.jpg

Yeah so this happened....😂

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Definitely keep us posted on what happens with your case. Sorry you’re going through this.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I’m still waiting for my number to be ported over to my new network but I’ve had a great first day with my P4.

- Been used to Face ID for a couple of years now but Google’s implementation is even better. Which is why I’m sad they didn’t stick with it.

- Two rows of icons, at the bottom. Everything else is in the app drawer. Bliss.

- Screen is beautiful.

- Apps seem to be on par with the majority of the ones I used on my iPhone so no complaints there either.

Need to pair up my Pixel Buds and see how they fit/feel. But all in all, I think I’m going to enjoy my Pixel experience.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I kind of miss the days when Android updates came with huge changes and features. But I suppose it's better that it's so refined that it's just more refinement at this point.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Welp... Guess it's time to unroot and take the OTA. Meh, who am I kidding? I'll probably wait a while so I can root it lol :rolleyes:?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.