Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's not really a problem, just an annoyance when sending videos to people. Relatives have made comments to me that I always go back and forth from a blue bubble to green and what is the deal with me always switching phones, haha. iMessage is just so quick and effortless.

So true. It wasn’t a dealbreaker but most of my friends and family are on iMessage and my primary form of communication is thru text. So it makes things a ton easier being on that platform.

Reactions: Harthag

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
So true. It wasn’t a dealbreaker but most of my friends and family are on iMessage and my primary form of communication is thru text. So it makes things a ton easier being on that platform.
Same—I only know one Android user, and the rest of my contacts are iPhone users. So, being a green bubble would be difficult for me, unfortunately.

I think it will take Apple a couple of years to implement RCS. I think they will try to hold out for as long as they can.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's not really a problem, just an annoyance when sending videos to people. Relatives have made comments to me that I always go back and forth from a blue bubble to green and what is the deal with me always switching phones, haha. iMessage is just so quick and effortless.
LOL...i get the same thing all the time! One friend always tells me to just pick a color and stick with it....like it was that easy :oops:

MJI

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
I keep swapping between my Pixel 4 and 11 Pro.
I think if someone made me choose one I'd have a really difficult time.

They both offer a similar experience in the software department. As in, it's smooth, easy, and has no lag or bloatware anywhere. Not that this is much of a problem with other Android's anymore, but there is still some element of it going on with Samsung, Sony etc.

I love both cameras, and they come into their own at different times. Anything that needs portrait shot, I reach for the Pixel. Whereas I was using the Pixel yesterday when we were out on a day trip and it wasn't getting the shots I wanted. I switched to the iPhone's wide lens and got some amazing photos that the Pixel is just not capable of snapping without the wide lens.

I've just bought a new car (pick it up tomorrow), I have a BMW i3 currently (which I love) but am getting an all electric eGolf for the better range and because it's new. Both cars have apps that allow you to connect to the car from the house or office and interact with the car. The Android version of my BMW app is not good, and I have read the same for the Volkswagen one.
I've just downloaded the VW app on my Pixel - it won't even let me log in. The iPhone one is up and running.
This is a common theme with these apps generally though (they're a bit buggy), but it's another case of iPhone apps being better and more reliable which I have found does happen on a number of occasions.

The 90hz is such a draw with the Pixel and makes a huge difference to the overall performance of the phone. iPhone can't compete there.

Battery. Well, we all know about it. My Pixel died on the way home from our day trip yesterday at about 4pm. I managed about 3 hours 30 SoT. It was used for Maps, YouTube music streaming, camera and social media, but it's still terrible.
I had to have the brightness on max when taking photos as I was outside a lot, so couldn't really see what was going on otherwise.

Even with the downside of the Pixel battery, I still really love the phone. I think an XL is definitely the way to go though, and people (like me) who prefer smaller phones would maybe need to adjust to a bigger device if they really wanted the full, Pixel experience without much compromise.

My sim is back in my iPhone (for now), so will see how long I last with that until I swap back! :)

How do you manage things like WhatsApp (if you use it) and banking apps or 2FA authentications when swapping around?

I‘m considering buying the Pixel 4 and swap back and forth like you do but am wary of the work involved to keep both functional as I’d like.

Same question @jamezr if you don’t mind

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
How do you manage things like WhatsApp (if you use us) and banking apps or 2FA authentications when swapping around?

I‘m considering buying the Pixel 4 and swap back and forth like you do but am wary of the work involved to keep both functional as I’d like.

WhatsApp, I can’t do anything about. It should be cross platform, but it isn’t so chats cannot be downloaded onto devices.
I just have to deal with that as it is though.

Banking apps, makes no difference because I can use the same app on multiple devices, so it can be used by both phones at the same time.

Not sure what you mean by 2fa?
Google has all my passwords saved, as does Apple Keychain so?

MJI

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
I meant authenticators (autocorrect!), sorry.

I can only have my banking secure key app on one device.

Guess I also need to think about mobile payments too (Apple Pay v google pay)

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Is there going to be a 4a? Haven't heard anything anywhere about it?? I don't think it'd even make sense to put out a 4a, it'd probably way cannibalize the sales on the "flagship"

I'm just waiting for the 300 dollar off offers to start hitting my mailbox. I'm about fed up with my 3 XL... I'm still not sure if I want to continue on with pixel phones any more. Nearly every device I've had has had some sort of issues.

A 4a might be an easier buy. If their is one... And I would be surprised if their is. I'm actually surprised the 3a is still available... I would for how long.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Is there going to be a 4a? Haven't heard anything anywhere about it?? I don't think it'd even make sense to put out a 4a, it'd probably way cannibalize the sales on the "flagship"

I'm just waiting for the 300 dollar off offers to start hitting my mailbox. I'm about fed up with my 3 XL... I'm still not sure if I want to continue on with pixel phones any more. Nearly every device I've had has had some sort of issues.

A 4a might be an easier buy. If their is one... And I would be surprised if their is. I'm actually surprised the 3a is still available... I would for how long.
What’s going on with your 3 XL?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

Nothing official but they’d be fools to not have them. The 3a was widely regarded as the best budget phone and sales numbers were much better than the flagship Pixel 3.

I agree regarding Pixels and the issues they always have.I know your issues are long term ones but I can’t see why anyone would buy pixels on release with the price and inevitable issues. It seems like the sweet spot is around Christmas. They will have dropped price and most of the big bugs will have been patched.

Reactions: drinkingtea

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I’m realizing there are certain things about the iPhone that I would really miss if I switched over:

- iMessage
- Having access to my widgets from anywhere on the screen
- Shortcuts has changed how I use my phone
- Safari. I love that I can change the text size and I love reader mode
- True Tone. It saves my eyes. I know that Pixel 4 has Ambient EQ, but it’s barely noticeable in comparison to True Tone
- Certain apps like Notability and Things. I use both extensively for my classes
- The silent/ringer switch
- AppleCare

As of now, the iPhone is truly my only option. Yes, iOS is dull, but, damn, its subtle touches make it an amazing OS.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
If you still haven't received the November security update, it looks like it's rolling out again

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I’m realizing there are certain things about the iPhone that I would really miss if I switched over:

- iMessage
- Having access to my widgets from anywhere on the screen
- Shortcuts has changed how I use my phone
- Safari. I love that I can change the text size and I love reader mode
- True Tone. It saves my eyes. I know that Pixel 4 has Ambient EQ, but it’s barely noticeable in comparison to True Tone
- Certain apps like Notability and Things. I use both extensively for my classes
- The silent/ringer switch
- AppleCare

As of now, the iPhone is truly my only option. Yes, iOS is dull, but, damn, its subtle touches make it an amazing OS.
I've been trying to find good uses for Shortcuts but have come up short so far, what do you use them for?

And what do you mean about widgets? I mean, I like the swipe in from the left side of the home screen, but sometimes I do miss having ones that are directly visible on the home screen for immediate info. And from within apps they're kind of a hassle to get to, either swipe back to home page and then in from left, or swipe down notification pane and then left.

Reactions: jamezr

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I've been trying to find good uses for Shortcuts but have come up short so far, what do you use them for?

And what do you mean about widgets? I mean, I like the swipe in from the left side of the home screen, but sometimes I do miss having ones that are directly visible on the home screen for immediate info. And from within apps they're kind of a hassle to get to, either swipe back to home page and then in from left, or swipe down notification pane and then left.

For me personally, I only use shortcuts to launch playlists in Apple Music. On the flip side, there’s a wonderful 3rd Spotify Playlist for Android that kicks balls.

Reactions: Oohara

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Aaaargh I ordered one!!! Arrives within a week!!

EDIT: Scratch that, they mysteriously cancelled and refunded it. Ugh, sucks. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: nospleen

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
For me personally, I only use shortcuts to launch playlists in Apple Music. On the flip side, there’s a wonderful 3rd Spotify Playlist for Android that kicks balls.
Sorry for the daft question, but how do you do that specifically? Like, you have one shortcut for one specific list and use the Shortcuts widget to open it without going into the Music app first?

Today I realised that I actually do have a very handy shortcut which I put together myself :D but then had forgot about until now! It opens any currently viewed web page in Safari Reader. I set it up because I prefer Google News to all other news aggregators, but wanted to be able to view its pages in Reader mode (especially in darkness/at night).

I stopped using the shortcut because finally I just started using the Google News web page in Safari instead, and there I could just 3D touch on its links, have them open in a new page and then activate reader mode on that. Now that I have the 11 Pro however, for some reason I prefer the Google News app again, and so its pretty handy to have that shortcut. I was able to move it up in the share menu priority list so that it comes up as the second alternative.

So yeah, I guess that's one implementation of an iOS-only function which I do really like. At the same time though, on Android the share menu is always more versatile so there I probably even wouldn't need such a shortcut. Then again, Android doesn't have as good a reader mode as iOS' Safari. Then again, on Android I can get a good AMOLED screen even on a cheap phone, so night reading doesn't require a reader mode as much as with a cheap iPhone. But then again...

I dunno, in the end, any direct Android vs iOS "Which is better OMGZ?!!1?" comparisons usually just end up feeling futile to me. Too much of an Apples (see what I did there) and oranges situation.

Reactions: tbayrgs

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Sorry for the daft question, but how do you do that specifically? Like, you have one shortcut for one specific list and use the Shortcuts widget to open it without going into the Music app first?

Today I realised that I actually do have a very handy shortcut which I put together myself :D but then had forgot about until now! It opens any currently viewed web page in Safari Reader. I set it up because I prefer Google News to all other news aggregators, but wanted to be able to view its pages in Reader mode (especially in darkness/at night).

I stopped using the shortcut because finally I just started using the Google News web page in Safari instead, and there I could just 3D touch on its links, have them open in a new page and then activate reader mode on that. Now that I have the 11 Pro however, for some reason I prefer the Google News app again, and so its pretty handy to have that shortcut. I was able to move it up in the share menu priority list so that it comes up as the second alternative.

So yeah, I guess that's one implementation of an iOS-only function which I do really like. At the same time though, on Android the share menu is always more versatile so there I probably even wouldn't need such a shortcut. Then again, Android doesn't have as good a reader mode as iOS' Safari. Then again, on Android I can get a good AMOLED screen even on a cheap phone, so night reading doesn't require a reader mode as much as with a cheap iPhone. But then again...

I dunno, in the end, any direct Android vs iOS "Which is better OMGZ?!!1?" comparisons usually end up feeling futile to me. Too much of an Apples (see what I did there) and oranges situation.

Super simple. Choose “Play Playlist” shortcut and then it will prompt you to assign a playlist. I have it set to shuffle. It’s great for when I’m in my car and I decide that I want to listen to something different without having to fumble through my large Apple Music library.

a4bd6c3c93409ea05e6cb608f19c2c58.png

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Super simple. Choose “Play Playlist” shortcut and then it will prompt you to assign a playlist. I have it set to shuffle. It’s great for when I’m in my car and I decide that I want to listen to something different without having to fumble through my large Apple Music library.

a4bd6c3c93409ea05e6cb608f19c2c58.png
Ok thanks for explaining, I can definitely see the use for that then!

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Well I see the Black Friday sales prices are up in the Google Canada store. Looks like $250 off the Pixel 4/4 XL and $150 off the 3A/3A XLs.
Sales start November 28th, and the 24th for the Pixel 4.
I'll be ordering a 4 XL then.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinIllini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.