Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Frigging Google is eating up my battery all of a sudden. Never had this before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191121-064632.png
    Screenshot_20191121-064632.png
    249 KB · Views: 119

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think MKBHD’s daily driver is the P4XL. I think he likes the phone more than he’s willing to admit.

I don't know..during last weeks podcast (I believe), he admitted to switching back to the OnePlus 7T over the Pixel 4XL. He even admitted that if push came to shove and he could only choose one phone camera, it would be the iPhone 11 Pro, though he said for well lit still photos, the Pixel 4 is still his favorite.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Played with a Pixel 4 and 4 XL for the first time when I went to a Verizon store to buy a charger. Only took 30 seconds before I realized I really like them both haha. Best Buy currently has $300 off the top as a down payment, it's so hard to resist temptation and wait until next week when they will offer $400 off. Will most likely go with a 64gb Pixel 4 XL. Must...resist...

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
As I predicted, the Black Friday discounts from Google for the Pixel 4 are incredibly low so it's just not worth buying from them directly.

Even eBay has stopped declining so quickly, so I think I'll have to wait another month or so.

Part of me wonders if I should just stick with my 2 XL for another year, but the battery life is getting worse by the day, I think the battery itself seems to be in trouble.

Is it easily replaceable? Never investigated.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
As I predicted, the Black Friday discounts from Google for the Pixel 4 are incredibly low so it's just not worth buying from them directly.

Even eBay has stopped declining so quickly, so I think I'll have to wait another month or so.

Part of me wonders if I should just stick with my 2 XL for another year, but the battery life is getting worse by the day, I think the battery itself seems to be in trouble.

Is it easily replaceable? Never investigated.

Might want to check ifixit they may have kits and guides but I'm not sure.

Another option is a 3a to tie you over a year, I think Amazon has them on sale a 100 bucks off

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Currys have £70 off the Pixel 4's too, but they'realso doing a deal (that isn't widely advertised) where they're giving you 5% back via an evoucher (redeemable in store or online) for purchases.
So for a £700 purchase (for instance), you'd get £35 back as an evoucher, which takes it to around £100 off in total for the XL or just under for the regular 4.

Not bad!

Reactions: JaySoul

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
You should also order a Note and keep both. Lol
Honestly I would prefer a Note over either of those. But with how often I switch phone I Leah’s look at value and resale. On Swappa Notes are now going for in the $700 range. I would be buying for $900. I’m losing a lot of the bat in that move.

Compare to Oneplus for $550 or Pixel xl for $700 and the resale for those is close to what I’m paying. So the big drops for those won’t impact me as much.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Honestly I would prefer a Note over either of those. But with how often I switch phone I Leah’s look at value and resale. On Swappa Notes are now going for in the $700 range. I would be buying for $900. I’m losing a lot of the bat in that move.

Compare to Oneplus for $550 or Pixel xl for $700 and the resale for those is close to what I’m paying. So the big drops for those won’t impact me as much.

Totally hear you. And I don’t get why Sammy’s resale value is so bad. My prediction is that you’ll stay with the Pixel because of the camera.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Totally hear you. And I don’t get why Sammy’s resale value is so bad. My prediction is that you’ll stay with the Pixel because of the camera.
I’d say the most likely is that I hold onto my Pro Max, but I’ve always preferred android. Honestly it’s probably going to come down to if the Pixel 4 xl battery is something I can live with.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’d say the most likely is that I hold onto my Pro Max, but I’ve always preferred android. Honestly it’s probably going to come down to if the Pixel 4 xl battery is something I can live with.
I don't think you will like the P4 xl battery life compared to the Pro Max

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Yeah I’m nervous the camera quality is going to be a huge letdown. Is Gcam easily installable now without root or is it still needed to get all cams working?

It was easily installable when I did it a few months back. The stock camera was very disappointing for me, but gcam was good enough to make me consider keeping.

I’m using an iPhone 11 right now though.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I don't think you will like the P4 xl battery life compared to the Pro Max

I don’t expect it to be. The battery with the Pro Max is crazy good but I see it as a bonus and not a necessity. I am around chargers enough that I just need something that is average. I don’t want to worry about it but if charging at my desk and when I’m in the car is enough to get me through a day then that’s good enough.

Bigger issues for me are an OS I enjoy, features that I use, performance, lack of major issues, and a camera that takes good snaps of my kids (def not a pro photog). Pixel should be ok in those areas and maybe even the OP7 Pro. We will see.
[automerge]1574543810[/automerge]
It was easily installable when I did it a few months back. The stock camera was very disappointing for me, but gcam was good enough to make me consider keeping.

I’m using an iPhone 11 right now though.

That will be the test for me. I expect to love everything but the camera. If it’s usable I’ll be in good shape. If it’s anywhere near my Pro Max for less than half the price, I’m happy to give up the Pro Max. I love the phone but I don’t think it’s that much better than everything else for the premium price it requires. Plus I’m not entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so I can bounce in and out.

Reactions: nospleen

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Same here but the 64GB version. Looking forward to it. I did try the smaller 4 right when it came out but want to try the bigger version
I don’t expect it to be better than my Pro Max. But at a nearly $550 difference, it doesn’t have to. If it’s good enough for me to sell my Pro Max, I will.

Reactions: drinkingtea
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.