Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
See, now that's a great price.

Our discount in the UK will be £70 according to Google's site today - not great at all :(

1574096784667.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JaySoul

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I recon Amazon will probably join in on some sales, probably matching what ever Google is doing but last time I bought a Nexus from Amazon that developed issues Google wouldn't touch it.

The 3a is 100 bucks off (299), at least it was last night and I did snag one! The XL I think is at 380.

Not sure if I'm going to try for the 4xl yet...still depends if I get a wild hair or not and find a good sale.

Been hard to snag a OnePlus 7 pro but haven't ruled one out totally. The camera and curved screen and sometimes OnePlus comes off as a bit sketchy or irksome. Not sure why.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Has anyone watched Zach's roast errr... Teardown of the XL? It's pretty rough and he clearly has a beef with the device. It's here if you want to watch. I'm just passing the info along :)

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Everyone (well most) are dumping on the Pixel 4 because everyone loves the Pixel lines but Google keep failing to deliver a real flagship device comparative to the price. For most, like me, its not dumping on it to be dumping on it. It's genuine disappointment at a phone that couldve been great if Google didnt cut corners.

That said, I still plan on getting one on Black Friday to test out myself.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
My I'm the strange one, but I really like my Pixel 4 XL, right now at 6:43pm I have 76% battery left. Was a light use day at work. Its fast and smooth. And I like stock Android over other Android UI's

Sure are there bones to pick with Google on creating this phone, absolutely yes. It should have had a 4,300mAh battery. 8GB RAM, and a display like the 11 Pro Max's. But it doesn't and it's still a great phone.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
My I'm the strange one, but I really like my Pixel 4 XL, right now at 6:43pm I have 76% battery left. Was a light use day at work. Its fast and smooth. And I like stock Android over other Android UI's

Sure are there bones to pick with Google on creating this phone, absolutely yes. It should have had a 4,300mAh battery. 8GB RAM, and a display like the 11 Pro Max's. But it doesn't and it's still a great phone.

I think the general consensus is that the phone is great in a vacuum, but when compared to the other phones in its price range it doesn’t match up. Google cut corners on hardware like always. But for $200 off MSRP it starts to make a more sense.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I think the general consensus is that the phone is great in a vacuum, but when compared to the other phones in its price range it doesn’t match up. Google cut corners on hardware like always. But for $200 off MSRP it starts to make a more sense.

Agree and another thing that slows me down is the XL 2 I carry, the XL 3 which I didn't intend to get until I borked the 2 and the 3a that's priced to sell.

I think if I didn't have the XL 3 (even though it frustrates me at times since the Q update) I'd probably had ordered the 4 by now.

--

I still think Google should bring back the Nexus program 3a, 4a for example, ditch the flagships or reach out to say Samsung and do Google play editions. Seriously, an S10 or note 10 with the backing xda devs? I think that would be awesome!

Reactions: jamezr

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I still think Google should bring back the Nexus program 3a, 4a for example, ditch the flagships or reach out to say Samsung and do Google play editions. Seriously, an S10 or note 10 with the backing xda devs? I think that would be awesome!
Remember that Google has gone through changes in its leadership, and it’s now a more cunning for profit company than before. Remember the old Google, where they have many small but useful projects that they keep, and now they cut every single thing, even their own url shortener. The Nexus program is the old Google, their attempt to provide an inexpensive reference phone for developers. The new google saw it as an opportunity to profit, so they rebranded it into the Pixel lineup.

as for Google Play editions, those things weren’t popular to begin with. And Samsung probably doesn’t want their signature UI and hardware to be confused with stock Android. It was an experiment that didn’t go anywhere other than the tinkering geeks.

Reactions: slitherjef

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Everyone (well most) are dumping on the Pixel 4 because everyone loves the Pixel lines but Google keep failing to deliver a real flagship device comparative to the price. For most, like me, its not dumping on it to be dumping on it. It's genuine disappointment at a phone that couldve been great if Google didnt cut corners.

That said, I still plan on getting one on Black Friday to test out myself.
I can see that...but the Pixel line has never really been about being a real flagship. But mainly to show phone makers how stock android could function on phones. It has always been about the user experience.
But I do agree with the Pixel being slightly overpriced.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I can see that...but the Pixel line has never really been about being a real flagship. But mainly to show phone makers how stock android could function on phones. It has always been about the user experience.
And that’s fine, but then the Pixel should have been a continuation of the Nexus line and priced as a mid tier phone like the Nexus line. They shouldn’t up charge just for their software experience. It’s like they want to continue the Nexus tradition but start competing with Apple. I’ve said it here before but they need to either price like a Nexus, or keep it at flagship prices and add the hardware specs to justify it. I’d be fine either way but they can’t do both.
[automerge]1574135266[/automerge]
Remember that Google has gone through changes in its leadership, and it’s now a more cunning for profit company than before. Remember the old Google, where they have many small but useful projects that they keep, and now they cut every single thing, even their own url shortener. The Nexus program is the old Google, their attempt to provide an inexpensive reference phone for developers. The new google saw it as an opportunity to profit, so they rebranded it into the Pixel lineup.

as for Google Play editions, those things weren’t popular to begin with. And Samsung probably doesn’t want their signature UI and hardware to be confused with stock Android. It was an experiment that didn’t go anywhere other than the tinkering geeks.

Google play editions weren’t unsuccessful because they were only for “tinkering geeks”. They were unsuccessful because they came out during a time when nobody bought phones outright. Everyone was buying subsidized phones on two year plans through a carrier. So seeing a $500 + phone with no way to finance was never going to sell well. Plus almost everyone bought (and still does) their phones through the carrier and the google play editions were only available through Google.

Google play editions were so google can show off stock android to the masses to see what Google had in mind. But they didn’t have the hardware division to put out their own devices yet.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You are describing the Nexus program. The Pixel brand is no longer about developers, but more of a premium consumer brand, at least that is what Google wanted it to be. But clearly the team doesn’t have as sharp vision as a typical consumer companies like Apple our Samsung. So now they just rely on the youtubers (by sending them fancy packaging and demo units) and the premium pricing (without any real meaning of premium other than price).

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And that’s fine, but then the Pixel should have been a continuation of the Nexus line and priced as a mid tier phone like the Nexus line. They shouldn’t up charge just for their software experience. It’s like they want to continue the Nexus tradition but start competing with Apple. I’ve said it here before but they need to either price like a Nexus, or keep it at flagship prices and add the hardware specs to justify it. I’d be fine either way but they can’t do both.
[automerge]1574135266[/automerge]

Google play editions weren’t unsuccessful because they were only for “tinkering geeks”. They were unsuccessful because they came out during a time when nobody bought phones outright. Everyone was buying subsidized phones on two year plans through a carrier. So seeing a $500 + phone with no way to finance was never going to sell well. Plus almost everyone bought (and still does) their phones through the carrier and the google play editions were only available through Google.

Google play editions were so google can show off stock android to the masses to see what Google had in mind. But they didn’t have the hardware division to put out their own devices yet.
I would love to see them bring back the Google edition phones. But some phones would lose features not supported by stock Android.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That’s not surprising. The specs and pricing and bend resistance and quality control and batteries are crap, yet Pixels seem to be partly made of Pixie dust.

I own a Note 10+ and a Pixel 3XL. I use the Note 10+ on WiFi as a sort of little home computer since I don’t really use my desktop PC much outside of gaming. My Note 10+ is fabulous. It’s just a bit big to take everywhere.

The 3XL is excellent, but more remarkable is the resurgence of my Pixel 2, “Snowball”. Right now I’m into carrying smaller phones and so Snowball is once again in the spotlight.

Pixel 2 is now giving me good battery performance. Thanks to software updates it feels surprisingly current. I’m really just comfortable with this phone.

It is just really very strange how things work out with Pixels. It just doesn’t seem to be something you can predict.

I’m the girl with the most cutting edge flagships in my house, but I’m carrying around a single lens, almost 2 year old phone that has a faulty half pink display. Not that long ago I deemed it unsuitable to donate to charity. And yet I found when I put my sim back in it and got my husband to fix what was slowing it down and draining the battery that I love it. Go figure.

I am equally enthralled with my iPhone 11 Pro, nicknamed “Spinach”. I hate to admit that, because I’m so spitting mad at Tim Cook over China. But Apple finally made me a phone that ticks all the boxes. It is my best phone. But I honestly did not expect that it would end up partnered with Snowball as my “always with me” team.

Snowball and Spinach for the win!

So yeah, even with reviews and specs and all being what they are, I can understand this article.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Mentioned this in the OnePlus thread but my Black Friday purchase is between this and the OnePlus 7 pro. Which should I get? Hopefully someone here has owned both and can give me a breakdown.

Oneplus is currently $150 off and the Pixel will be $200 off plus I have a $100 Google store credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm not a fan of curved edge displays plus I'll take the monthly security updates from Google.

Wireless charging and IP68 rating And always on display our nice features for the Pixel that the OnePlus doesn't have

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Mentioned this in the OnePlus thread but my Black Friday purchase is between this and the OnePlus 7 pro. Which should I get? Hopefully someone here has owned both and can give me a breakdown.

Oneplus is currently $150 off and the Pixel will be $200 off plus I have a $100 Google store credit.

Suppose it depends if you want a good camera or not... :p

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
That and the $100 google store credit is why I’ll probably lean that direction. I played with both in stores and really it just made me lean more towards the Note 10 plus. The display on that thing is ridiculous. The Pixel wasn’t underwhelming but it wasn’t anything special. Still, with another little one on the way soon having a good camera is a must. I wouldn’t even have second thoughts if the video recording wasn’t so awful.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That and the $100 google store credit is why I’ll probably lean that direction. I played with both in stores and really it just made me lean more towards the Note 10 plus. The display on that thing is ridiculous. The Pixel wasn’t underwhelming but it wasn’t anything special. Still, with another little one on the way soon having a good camera is a must. I wouldn’t even have second thoughts if the video recording wasn’t so awful.

Maybe get the Note, dude. It’s such a beast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.