Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Can anyone recommend a wireless charger that will “fast charge” the Pixel 4 XL? I know they have to be EPP certified. I just bought a Mophie charger from Verizon but have read it may not be on Google’s short list. I am sure it’ll work with Samsung.

It’s getting harder and harder for me to justify buying this phone, even at $400 off the top from Best Buy later this week. Compromise upon compromise. Can’t believe my brand new fast charger works with everything except maybe the Pixel 4. Also can’t believe I even have to ask the question in the first place.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Can anyone recommend a wireless charger that will “fast charge” the Pixel 4 XL? I know they have to be EPP certified. I just bought a Mophie charger from Verizon but have read it may not be on Google’s short list. I am sure it’ll work with Samsung.

It’s getting harder and harder for me to justify buying this phone, even at $400 off the top from Best Buy later this week. Compromise upon compromise. Can’t believe my brand new fast charger works with everything except maybe the Pixel 4. Also can’t believe I even have to ask the question in the first place.
Pixel stand would be your best bet. Works flawlessly in my Pixel 3 and Pixel 4 xl.

Reactions: Harthag and tbayrgs

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Almost every wireless charger now is EPP certified, shouldn't be an issue finding a cheap one.

Reactions: Harthag

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Well, I'm only half a day into day 1 with my Pixel 4 XL and so far.....it really bums me out. This is the best Android experience I've had on any Android device froma software standpoint. Again, it's still day 1 but everything is smooth and excellent. Zero complaints.

I even love a majority of the things with hardware. But the battery absolutely ruins it. I'm hoping it improves as things settle but right now it just melts away. I'm going to get right at 5 hours of SOT today and that's just not good enough. Which really sucks because I love this phone so far, more than I thought I would. I don't need it to reach Pro Max levels of SOT but it has to be above average and it's just not.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Well, I'm only half a day into day 1 with my Pixel 4 XL and so far.....it really bums me out. This is the best Android experience I've had on any Android device froma software standpoint. Again, it's still day 1 but everything is smooth and excellent. Zero complaints.

I even love a majority of the things with hardware. But the battery absolutely ruins it. I'm hoping it improves as things settle but right now it just melts away. I'm going to get right at 5 hours of SOT today and that's just not good enough. Which really sucks because I love this phone so far, more than I thought I would. I don't need it to reach Pro Max levels of SOT but it has to be above average and it's just not.

Do you leave the refresh rate at 90hz forced all the time or no? That’s really disappointing. Everyone uses their phones differently so we’ll see what happens when I get mine.

Best Buy $400 off / down payment with Verizon is live now. Placed my order for a Pixel 4 XL 64gb and it’ll be ready for pick up on Sunday. The battery can’t be worse than the 3a (non XL), which has been OK for me. I’m excited. At $499 the price is right!

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Do you leave the refresh rate at 90hz forced all the time or no? That’s really disappointing. Everyone uses their phones differently so we’ll see what happens when I get mine.

Best Buy $400 off / down payment with Verizon is live now. Placed my order for a Pixel 4 XL 64gb and it’ll be ready for pick up on Sunday. The battery can’t be worse than the 3a (non XL), which has been OK for me. I’m excited. At $499 the price is right!

At that price I'm sure you can live with it. Some of the issue is that in coming from the Pro Max where I could probably get 10 hours of SOT. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near that but I need a phone that can get around 6 hrs SOT.

I do have 90hz forced on, which imo should be the default. Why not utilize one of the best features on the phone? If Google threw a 4000 mAh battery on it, which is pretty standard, they would have an excellent device here. It still is, but they should've known better.

Reactions: Harthag and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
At that price I'm sure you can live with it. Some of the issue is that in coming from the Pro Max where I could probably get 10 hours of SOT. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near that but I need a phone that can get around 6 hrs SOT.

I do have 90hz forced on, which imo should be the default. Why not utilize one of the best features on the phone? If Google threw a 4000 mAh battery on it, which is pretty standard, they would have an excellent device here. It still is, but they should've known better.
the Pixel 4XL is a great device....but really suffers when it comes to battery life.

My 2 biggest complaints are battery life and how narrow the phone is.

Reactions: nospleen

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Trying to resist. I’m currently using an iPhone 11 and love it, the camera is great, battery is too. I’ve always loved Pixels. 400 off and I have 140 in Best Buy credit. This should be a good test of my ability to adult.

My ability to adult is cleeeaarly not there yet... as I personally feel like you're silly to not jump on that with that kind of saving!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
i love our “continue bad decisions support group.” It’s exactly what I need right now. (Along with some 90hz goodness)

No bad decision here. Had you have bought this thing at full price on launch... maybe.
But a tasty Black Friday deal along with additional money off makes for an even tastier deal.

I love the iPhone 11... but portrait mode photos don't quite cut it compared to Pixel's. And imagine all the photos of that lab!
I'll see you when you're order is placed. :D

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
the Pixel 4XL is a great device....but really suffers when it comes to battery life.

My 2 biggest complaints are battery life and how narrow the phone is.
I actually don't mind how narrow it is. One of my only complaints with the Pro Max was that it's not a comfortable device to use....it's just too heavy. So the pixel 4 XL feels great to me.

I'm actually getting better battery today now that it's settled. I'll see if it ends up being good enough for me to live with it. The Pro Max, other than being a bit heavy, has no real flaws. It's easy to see that heads up with the Pixel 4 XL that the Pro Max is the better device. But seeing as I got the 4xl for $700 and the iPhone is something like $1250, I need to decide if the iPhone is $500 better. I'm not sure it is.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I actually don't mind how narrow it is. One of my only complaints with the Pro Max was that it's not a comfortable device to use....it's just too heavy. So the pixel 4 XL feels great to me.

I'm actually getting better battery today now that it's settled. I'll see if it ends up being good enough for me to live with it. The Pro Max, other than being a bit heavy, has no real flaws. It's easy to see that heads up with the Pixel 4 XL that the Pro Max is the better device. But seeing as I got the 4xl for $700 and the iPhone is something like $1250, I need to decide if the iPhone is $500 better. I'm not sure it is.

Everyone is different of course, but I’ve stopped paying attention to the cost differences of devices, and just go with the one I enjoy using. Otherwise I’m always regretting my decision.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Everyone is different of course, but I’ve stopped paying attention to the cost differences of devices, and just go with the one I enjoy using. Otherwise I’m always regretting my decision.
I wish I could do that but value is one of the biggest things I look at. I'm willing to make compromises if there's enough value. From my brief time with the 4xl, it reinforces what I thought before. For $1000, it's not worth it and there are better phone in that price range. But for $700, you'll be hard pressed to find a better phone.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Pretty sure the Pixel 4 XL is going back. There are some things I really like and some things that are just not good enough. It's a great phone but it just doesn't match up to my Pro Max.

The 90hz screen is excellent and I still think Pixels are the best point and shoot cameras for the average person. Android 10 is the best version of Android yet and everything is very smooth and logical. Soli is pretty useless so far but has potential and the face unlock is amazingly fast.

However, battery life is not average, it's unacceptably bad. Barely getting to 5 hours of SOT so far. My other main complaints are bad password manager implementation in Android which is way lacking behind iOS. The other is app quality is just not the same even those others may think differently. The polish on iOS apps is noticeably better. Oh and video recording is average at best.

I get that some of the things I listed are Android and not pixel specific, but the battery and poor video are the deal breakers. If battery was a little better I would keep it.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Pretty sure the Pixel 4 XL is going back. There are some things I really like and some things that are just not good enough. It's a great phone but it just doesn't match up to my Pro Max.

The 90hz screen is excellent and I still think Pixels are the best point and shoot cameras for the average person. Android 10 is the best version of Android yet and everything is very smooth and logical. Soli is pretty useless so far but has potential and the face unlock is amazingly fast.

However, battery life is not average, it's unacceptably bad. Barely getting to 5 hours of SOT so far. My other main complaints are bad password manager implementation in Android which is way lacking behind iOS. The other is app quality is just not the same even those others may think differently. The polish on iOS apps is noticeably better. Oh and video recording is average at best.

I get that some of the things I listed are Android and not pixel specific, but the battery and poor video are the deal breakers. If battery was a little better I would keep it.

Well thanks for taking one for the team. I was really tempted to just try one out, but what you described are the exact things that would cause me to send it back too.

And you’re absolutely correct about the apps. iOS just works better and anyone that says differently is inaccurate. For example, when I had the Note 10+ (which is an amazing phone and I still miss sometimes), following my fantasy football team on the yahoo app was frustrating beyond belief. I literally had to kill the app anytime I wanted to refresh the scores. It’s little thinks like this that you rarely see on iOS.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Well, I have avoided the 400 off deal at Best Buy on the Pixel 4. My only real complaint about the iPhone over the last few years has been the camera and I am happy with the camera on the 11.

I plan to stick with the iPhone 11 for a few reasons:
  • iMessage - my wife, kids and the rest of my family are all in iOS
  • FaceTime - my daughter loves to FaceTime me, she rarely just calls
  • Apple Watch - super convenient and the other day it indicated I was in Afib! Quite a shock as I am healthy, exercise regularly and eat mostly healthy. (resting heart beat has always been in the low 40's) Anyways, appt set up to see the Doc!
  • Wireless CarPlay - works great in my Element and is less buggy than Android Auto (might be a head unit thing and not OS specific)
  • Battery Life - awesome
  • Ecosystem - Apple TV+, I also own an iPad and MBP, it all just works well together
What I will miss:
  • 90hz screen
  • OLED screen
  • Android Notifications
  • Google Assistant
  • What's playing near me
  • Customization - I am not one to use launchers or icon packs, but for the love, I wish I could put my apps where I want on the iOS homescreen
In a perfect world, I would prefer the Pixel, with iMessage, FaceTime, and the battery life of iOS. I know that will never happen, so for now, I think the iPhone 11 just checks a few more boxes for me.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well, I have avoided the 400 off deal at Best Buy on the Pixel 4. My only real complaint about the iPhone over the last few years has been the camera and I am happy with the camera on the 11.

I plan to stick with the iPhone 11 for a few reasons:
  • iMessage - my wife, kids and the rest of my family are all in iOS
  • FaceTime - my daughter loves to FaceTime me, she rarely just calls
  • Apple Watch - super convenient and the other day it indicated I was in Afib! Quite a shock as I am healthy, exercise regularly and eat mostly healthy. (resting heart beat has always been in the low 40's) Anyways, appt set up to see the Doc!
  • Wireless CarPlay - works great in my Element and is less buggy than Android Auto (might be a head unit thing and not OS specific)
  • Battery Life - awesome
  • Ecosystem - Apple TV+, I also own an iPad and MBP, it all just works well together
What I will miss:
  • 90hz screen
  • OLED screen
  • Android Notifications
  • Google Assistant
  • What's playing near me
  • Customization - I am not one to use launchers or icon packs, but for the love, I wish I could put my apps where I want on the iOS homescreen
In a perfect world, I would prefer the Pixel, with iMessage, FaceTime, and the battery life of iOS. I know that will never happen, so for now, I think the iPhone 11 just checks a few more boxes for me.

I hope all is ok!

I did really like the “What’s Playing Near Me” feature. I’d love if iOS could replicate that.

I’m actually thinking about using that makeover website to create empty icons so I can just put 4 folders on the bottom of my screen. Maybe a project for later. Here’s to hoping iOS 14 gives us that option. Never say never. We finally have a swipe function on the stock keyboard and I thought we’d never see it.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That and the $100 google store credit is why I’ll probably lean that direction. I played with both in stores and really it just made me lean more towards the Note 10 plus. The display on that thing is ridiculous. The Pixel wasn’t underwhelming but it wasn’t anything special. Still, with another little one on the way soon having a good camera is a must. I wouldn’t even have second thoughts if the video recording wasn’t so awful.
I just read through all of this thread and all I dab say is, with a little one on the way, (congratulations!) definitely keep the Pro Max. Or go with the smaller Pro. But really keep the iPhone camera! I’m getting fantastic video and photos under terrible lightning conditions.

We were looking at old photos of the babies over Thanksgiving and noticed when there’s a new baby most the lightning will be dim because they’re adorable when they are sleeping. Otherwise they’re screaming bloody murder for one thing or another and crapping their nappies. Just kidding...sort of...but like those little Gremlin creatures, babies don’t like bright lights in their faces initially. If you try to photograph them in bright outdoor lighting they scrinch their little faces up like prunes. 🤣

I’m finally getting good indoor photos of moving targets like the cats and it’s thanks to my 11 Pro.

I love my Note 10+ but the camera’s auto mode tends to blow out highlights more than my 11 Pro which rarely ever does that now.

Reactions: Awesomesince86

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
One thing I didn't mention is that if you're interested in the Pixel 4 XL but are a smaller phone person and are worried about the size, don't be. The 4 XL is the smallest feeling big phone I have used. Coming from the brick that is the Pro Max, it felt downright tiny. Most of that is because of how narrow it is. It feels really good in hand.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
And you’re absolutely correct about the apps. iOS just works better and anyone that says differently is inaccurate
Maybe in your experience but not in mine. I've found Android apps equally as good. And from what I can remember, pretty sure I prefer Twitter on Android.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.