Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Let me try to capture a video, it's hard to explain.
Infuse is able to use tvOS' 'Fast Scrolling' - is that what you're seeing?

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
What is the difference between Plex and Infuse? I was reading the site and see it connects to Plex, so it's confusing. They appear on the surface to be both media players for various platforms.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
What is the difference between Plex and Infuse? I was reading the site and see it connects to Plex, so it's confusing. They appear on the surface to be both media players for various platforms.
Plex and Infuse have some similarities, and also have differences.

Both are media player apps that allow you to organize and play your videos.

However, Plex consists of both a server and client app (the server runs on a Mac/PC/NAS, and the client runs on a device like the Apple TV). You cannot use Plex without installing the server, and this needs to stay running in order to play videos.

Infuse is a little more versatile, as it does not require a server and can access your files wherever they may be located (Mac, PC, NAS, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...). Instead of using server software, it uses iCloud to keep all your info in sync. Of course, Infuse can also connect and stream files from your Plex server if you prefer to use that.

Reactions: serpico007

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. I see the aTV Flash is still around on the site for older AppleTV models. I have all generations and now recall trying them before on the first generation AppleTV. I will give it a try.

Reactions: firecore

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Infuse is able to use tvOS' 'Fast Scrolling' - is that what you're seeing?

That might be it, makes it really jumpy...is there a way to disable and see?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 6.3 has arrived and includes some exciting new features.

Dolby Atmos
Infuse's arsenal of codecs is now a little bit bigger with the addition of Dolby Atmos (E-AC3). Dolby Atmos provides 2-4 new height channels (IE ceiling speakers) which allow for audio effects to come at you from even more places. With this new update, Infuse becomes the first and only 3rd party video player app on iOS or Apple TV to feature full support for both Dolby Vision (single-layer) and Dolby Atmos (E-AC3). Hooray!

Dolby Atmos

Variable-speed playback
Easily speed up or slow down videos to accommodate a wide variety of different watching scenarios. Choose from one of the pre-defined speeds, or set a custom speed of your own in increments of 0.05x. You can also set a preferred playback speed in Settings, so the speed won't need to be adjusted each time a new video is started.

Variable-speed playback

Plus a few other things...
We've also packed in a litany of other improvements and fixes to ensure everything continue working smoothly. A complete list of what's new can be found here.

Thanks!
We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions—so please feel free to post a message in our forum, @ us on Twitter or drop us a note anytime.

Thanks so much for using Infuse! ?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Wow, I am shocked that you guys cracked the Dolby Atmos issue. I am so happy if that is the case.
I just updated my ATV and Infuse but my sample Atmos files still play as PCM. Is there a setting I am missing?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Wow, I am shocked that you guys cracked the Dolby Atmos issue. I am so happy if that is the case.
I just updated my ATV and Infuse but my sample Atmos files still play as PCM. Is there a setting I am missing?
This update allows for Dolby Atmos when using E-AC3 audio tracks only.

We're still hoping Apple will implement a few changes which will allow for even more support. https://firecore.com/forum/topic/20983

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Oh, ok thanks. Then I'm in the same place I was before. I didn't think it could happen without Apple allowing it.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
We're still hoping Apple will implement a few changes which will allow for even more support. https://firecore.com/forum/topic/20983
Isn’t the core claim of this petition wrongly put?
There is no restriction for Atmos playback from local library/network.
The problem is with TrueHD playback. It is the format (Mostly) ripped from Blurays.
If someone invented Atmos conversion from TrueHD into DD+, the problem would also be solved (kind of, as we’d lose lossless audio).

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Infuse keeps getting better and I'm generally very happy. However, there are two things that are really getting a bit annoying:

- No ability to handle different versions of a movie in a good way (e.g. theatrical/director's cut). If you just add both, you get two identical looking entries in the library, and there's no easy way to tell which is which (without enabling filename display).
- No ability to handle extras. There's just no good place to put them at all.

These items have been on the wish list for a long time. Any progress to report?

Reactions: oneMadRssn

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
The problem is with TrueHD playback. It is the format (Mostly) ripped from Blurays.
If someone invented Atmos conversion from TrueHD into DD+, the problem would also be solved (kind of, as we’d lose lossless audio).
Not my question to answer but I would say once you start messing with taking a licensed codec and changing it to another licensed codec, without a license, well you are opening a whole can of worms.
The easiest way is to let us decode the raw feed how we want.
But I could be wrong.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Most local Atmos content is going to be TrueHD based. There is some local content which uses E-AC3, and support for this has been added in 6.3. This is the situation we've tried to describe in the post.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
... taking a licensed codec and changing it to another licensed codec, without a license, well you are opening a whole can of worms.
The easiest way is to let us decode the raw feed how we want.
That may be correct. But the precedent has already been created - DVDFab claims it can create a tvOS-compatible profile 5 Dolby Vision stream from a 2-stream profile 7 Dolby Vision ripped from the UHD disk. No-one knows how or what are they really converting, but the end result is functional and plays back in Dolby Vision on aTV 4K.
Most local Atmos content is going to be TrueHD based. There is some local content which uses E-AC3, and support for this has been added in 6.3. This is the situation we've tried to describe in the post.
OK, I get it. Just that E-AC-3 Atmos is native to tvOS player and does not need any help.
You just need to have the EC-3 atom magic cookie right and it will work.
For the TrueHD usecase, besides converting it to E-AC-3+JOC, also bitstreaming and decoding in aTV and sending out as PCM+MAT would work.
I know, it is easier said than done, as most of the specs are not public.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
@firecore is there an issue with refreshing Plex libraries on tvOS? Updated Infuse and now I just get a spinner in the top right and it never fetches my new content?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
@firecore is there an issue with refreshing Plex libraries on tvOS? Updated Infuse and now I just get a spinner in the top right and it never fetches my new content?
I get that also but it does add new content eventually.
Sorry about that.

A fix for this will be part of 6.3.1, which was submitted to Apple today.

Reactions: bumbo

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
love Infuse on iOS so im excited to try it on the AppleTV good Job @firecore

love that variable speed has been added it means i can finally make Infuse my main player and ditch VLC completely.

i only wish they was a plus and minus so we could rapidly adjust it on the HUD
like volume, pause play skip etc. are rather than being nested in the settings gear

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
love Infuse on iOS so im excited to try it on the AppleTV good Job @firecore

love that variable speed has been added it means i can finally make Infuse my main player and ditch VLC completely.

i only wish they was a plus and minus so we could rapidly adjust it on the HUD
like volume, pause play skip etc. are rather than being nested in the settings gear
Not sure if this helps in your case, but you can set a default playback speed in the main settings menu. Might help if you find yourself wanting to play most videos at higher/lower speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.