Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Hi @wicknix. Can you please share how you enable the Quartz specific settings in InterWebPPC-G4-RR3-Quartz? I'd like to add the ability to add those in the dev toolkit?

Thanks again for providing these builds!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi @wicknix. Can you please share how you enable the Quartz specific settings in InterWebPPC-G4-RR3-Quartz? I'd like to add the ability to add those in the dev toolkit?

Thanks again for providing these builds!
Unless @wicknix knows otherwise, it's enabled by extra entries in the Info.plist inside Contents within the app bundle.

Trying the standard and Quartz enhanced versions I found no performance difference between the two - I suspect it favours very specific GPUs not just any that are "Leopard approved."

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Unless @wicknix knows otherwise, it's enabled by extra entries in the Info.plist inside Contents within the app bundle.

Trying the standard and Quartz enhanced versions I found no performance difference between the two - I suspect it favours very specific GPUs not just any that are "Leopard approved."
Ah thanks. That would explain why the only difference I saw when I made a list of md5 sums to compare the quartz and non-quartz contents was info.plist. I didn’t actually look at its contents because I assumed it had to be something else like a prefs file.

I’ll dig deeper next time. Thanks again!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I know nothing. Lol. Those are repacks by z970. I assumed it had a custom prefs file added also. Never really looked in to it.

Cheers

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
@wicknix I running into an interface issue with new builds of InterWebPPC. I still need to test with TenFourFox but I'm reporting it here in the meantime. Here's what the title bar looks like on the builds you distribute.

Picture 2.png

Here's what it looks like on the build the toolkit makes.
Picture 1.png

Yours has the tabs next to the window controls and mine is under. I tried right clicking on the tab bar and going into customize but it doesn't bring up the customize settings at all on the build, whereas yours works.

Thanks.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
@wicknix I running into an interface issue with new builds of InterWebPPC. I still need to test with TenFourFox but I'm reporting it here in the meantime. Here's what the title bar looks like on the builds you distribute.

View attachment 2152333
Here's what it looks like on the build the toolkit makes.
View attachment 2152337
Yours has the tabs next to the window controls and mine is under. I tried right clicking on the tab bar and going into customize but it doesn't bring up the customize settings at all on the build, whereas yours works.

Thanks.

There should be an option to enable the combined menu bar. Weird

smnbldwn

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2016
I am using my PowerBook G4 again after a 2 year break and am finding InterWebPPC is the best browser now available, thank you for this. I can't get Viewtube to work though. I managed to install Greasemonkey and it looks like it is enabled but it doesn't pick up the Viewtube script and prompt me to install it. Is there a way of installing manually?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@smnbldwn I will point out that Viewtube won't give you any advantages in InterWebPPC - unless you can get it to invoke Protocol method and pass the stream to an external player - this is very efficient and what I used to use but alas, with inevitable coding changes at Youtube this now only works about 1 time in a 100.

You're better with NinjaKit/Viewtube on LWK, TenFiveTube or passing video URLs to PPCMC7 (either through the app or with shortcut scripts.)

NODEraser

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
Astoria, Oregon
Can this excellent project be added to MacPorts for easy installation and upgrading? Don't know how difficult it would be, but I've been playin around with it to try and kludge some more modern software onto my PowerBook G4.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Currently, no. My github for this project is b0rked. I only create 1 or 2 new builds a year, so looking for updates regularly isn't really needed.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Rolling Release 4 is now available. Download: here or here.

Notice: As of 2023 i will no longer be building separate G3 / G4 / G5 releases as it's very time consuming and hard on my machines.

iwppc-rr4-build-finished.png

It literally consumes 10-12 hours to set everything up and compile IWPPC 3 times for each build on my dual 2.3ghz G5, or worse yet... 10 hours per build on my 1.6ghz G5.

Cheers

Rolling Release 4 is now available. Download: here or here.

Notice: As of 2023 i will no longer be building separate G3 / G4 / G5 releases as it's very time consuming and hard on my machines.

View attachment 2195414

It literally consumes 10-12 hours to set everything up and compile IWPPC 3 times for each build on my dual 2.3ghz G5, or worse yet... 10 hours per build on my 1.6ghz G5.

Cheers

That you compile even one is a gift to the PowerPC community, and I thank you for your amazing work. 🏆

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Up until at least a couple of months ago I was able to access iCloud on InterWebPPC. I tired today on the RR 3 G4 optimized version of InterWebPPC. Then I noticed release 4 and tried that as well.
I assume this is just the end of the line for iCloud on PPC.

Here is a screenshot of what shows up now when I navigate to icloud.com

Picture 1.png

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
On tiger / leopard yes. On PPC Linux, no.
TFF and IWPPC are like 65 releases behind current firefox and the changes to the modern web. Linux and it's browsers on the other hand are a bit better suited for the modern web.

View attachment 2196317
That is understandable! OneDrive still works for now.

That screenshot isn't from Linux, is it? Or is it a desktop environment meant to look like Windows?

Reactions: AphoticD

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That screenshot isn't from Linux, is it? Or is it a desktop environment meant to look like Windows?
@wicknix is well known for making his Linux/IceWM desktops look like Windows 2000. :) One small detail that gives it away is that the Start button and system tray use a smaller font than the application buttons in the task bar and window title bars, which isn’t possible on Windows.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
@wicknix is well known for making his Linux/IceWM desktops look like Windows 2000. :) One small detail that gives it away is that the Start button and system tray use a smaller font than the application buttons in the task bar and window title bars, which isn’t possible on Windows.
What version of Linux? I tired to install Void on a PowerMac G5. I was unsuccessful

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Firstly I just want to say thank you @wicknix for your ongoing dedication to the platform! :apple:

Would it be possible for you to give your G5s a break and cross-compile for PowerPC from an Early Intel Mac running Tiger? Or a Tiger VM on more recent Mac or PC hardware?

I have personally had success with the shared workgroup build (distcc) feature to distribute the compilation for PowerPC and/or Intel/Universal under Tiger Xcode 2.5 across a mix of Tiger equipped Intel Macs and VMs.

Or pick up a few Core2Duo minis to make a tidy Xcode cluster :cool:

Attachments

• mini-cluster.jpg
    mini-cluster.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 48

PC mcLinMorph

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2021
Can InterWebPPC be run on fienix? How?

Update: I found the installer for the interweb-2021.07.26 version. It works very well on most of the sites i visit. Is this the latest version?

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah. I haven't updated the ppc linux version in ages. If you want the latest and greatest (ability to access discord web, twitch.tv, github, etc) you should really look in to SeaLion. You will need to install 1 extra file to run it on Debian though. See here.

It's a standalone package. Just extract it and run it (cd /sealion then ./sealion). Or manually copy it to say /opt and create a /usr/share/applications/sealion.desktop for it for it to show up in your menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.