Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I found everything goes a whole mess faster when wanting to load and view the MR forums via InterwebPPC (or whichever Mozilla browser is your preferred go-to), once uMatrix puts the kibosh on all — ::cough:: 22 (!!!) — of the Javascript calls from forums.macrumors.com:

1645151463120.png

Of course, this means I can’t post or reply from the 466MHz iBook G3 unless I reload the page with all 22 of those Javascript calls green-lighted. But seriously, have you experienced how slow the key press echo lag time is for a sub-500MHz G3 when you’re trying to write a MR forum reply via the current Xenforo forum platform? I’d just as soon watch salt water taffy be made before my very eyes.

Anyway, file this under “Respect your G3: skip the JS.”

NOTE: This post was written and sent from a 2.6GHz C2D MacBook Pro… hey, wait, why are you looking at me like that… I’m not being hypocritical!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Wicknix,

Again, thank you very much for keeping our PowerPC macs alive with InterwebPPC, however I have an issue and maybe you can assist. Some websites I tried to load are giving me SSL errors. I thought InterwebPPC loads most if not ALL the internet websites out there. If I send you a list of the websites that are not allowing me to visit them, can you tell me what the issue is ? I am currently using InterwebPPC and love it as it loads most if not all websites, but a couple are bothering me as to why they are not opening up.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I found everything goes a whole mess faster when wanting to load and view the MR forums via InterwebPPC (or whichever Mozilla browser is your preferred go-to), once uMatrix puts the kibosh on all — ::cough:: 22 (!!!) — of the Javascript calls from forums.macrumors.com:

View attachment 1960566

Of course, this means I can’t post or reply from the 466MHz iBook G3 unless I reload the page with all 22 of those Javascript calls green-lighted. But seriously, have you experienced how slow the key press echo lag time is for a sub-500MHz G3 when you’re trying to write a MR forum reply via the current Xenforo forum platform? I’d just as soon watch salt water taffy be made before my very eyes.

Anyway, file this under “Respect your G3: skip the JS.”

NOTE: This post was written and sent from a 2.6GHz C2D MacBook Pro… hey, wait, why are you looking at me like that… I’m not being hypocritical!
Hi B S, Magnet got a quick question. Now that the old web 1.1 is picking up, I wanted to know does MacRumors have a backdoor where it can be accessed as if it were 2000? I was just wondering.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
www.penfed.com - For some reason interweb is not allowing me to access my bank account, on Intel it works.. so, does this mean PowerPC macs can no longer access bank and or government websites ? That is so unfair.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Rolling Release 2 is now available. Get it from here.
It's now much smaller in file size than TFF.

Crashes immediately on my G3 iBook - seems it's looking for 7 libraries not bundled.

From the crash log:

Library not loaded: /opt/macports-tff/lib/libgcc/libatomic.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/InterWebPPC.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozglue.dylib
Reason: image not found

Not tried G4 version yet - maybe this accounts for the smaller file size this time around?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks for the info. I tested the G4 and G5 builds on both 10.4 and 10.5. I built these on leopard this time rather than tiger. In doing so i was supposed to add 3 libs from a tiger build. I may have forgotten to do that for the G3 build. Will take a look tonight after work.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Figured it out i think. Looks like i forgot to relink the libs to the app from macports. Should work now. Uploaded new files. Let me know the results. Thanks.

Nvm, its still not right. Full rebuilds are required. Stay tuned.

Fixed!

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Not tried G4 version yet - maybe this accounts for the smaller file size
It was just a typo in my relink script. It's smaller because i changed the way the browser is packaged. TFF's default way of packaging left lots of unneeded and unused files in the .app. Show the contents of both IWRR2 and TFF and you'll see the difference.

Cheers

G4PPC

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Rolling Release 2 is now available. Get it from here.
It's now much smaller in file size than TFF.

Cheers
Thank you for this when TFF reached it's end of support I thought I'd never be able to surf the web securely again with my G4. Using the last version of TFF I could find when ever I clicked on a link I would get a error saying Your connection is not secure and I would have to add an exception in order to open even a trusted site. However once I got InterwebPPC I can visit all the sites with out that error which is great.

On a side note I found that InterwebPPC RR2 can install certain add-ons from Seamonkey found Here

alphaer

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Hello all
I would like to raise the discussion so that the browser for PPC is still useful. InterWEB has become much lighter and faster, that's a very good thing, many thanks to Wicknix. But at the same time, functionality was lost. I'm surprised: the old tenfourfox opens more sites correctly than InterWEB does. It seems, in pursuit of speed, the necessary functionality has been removed. And unfortunately I excited to stop using it. We already have one lightweight browser, ArcticFox, which does not always work correctly, but very quickly.
Why do we need ArcticFox number 2?
I think, we must go to another way
Yes, I'm one of the crazy ones who really still has mac ppc in one of the my workplaces and still does useful work. I run two browsers "fast" and "full"- ArcticFox for regular pages (approximately 50.. 65% it opens well)
for others that ArcticFox did not open next 25% - tenfourfox, the rest that I cannot open - a tablet with chrome.
I think that we need to move not in the direction of reduction, but on the contrary, in the direction of increasing functionality, try to make as many sites work as possible. Let it be huge, very slowly, but works correctly
So there will be two browsers: fast, quick and durty browsing - ArcticFox, if functional is needed - updated slow "tenforfox", or firefox or so on. What does anybody think about it?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Anybody can freely compile the latest tenfourfox source, but only for their own personal use. That binary can not be shared however.

Being that TFF is still only FF45 a lot of sites will continue to quit working more and more every day.

The AF build for 10.4/10.5 is 3 years old now and wasnt easy to port, and didnt fully work. Interwebppc is my attempt to fill that void. I prefer speed on old machines, and interwebppc is provided free of charge out of the goodness of my heart. I havent seen or heard of anybody else stepping up to continue the TFF legacy, or create any other forks of it. So until that happens.... what you see is what you get. ;-)

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Apologies if answered in the 8 pages (havn't read through).
I opened this page on my 1ghz G4 PB in Leopard, if I click the GitHub link Safari won't open the page.

Is there a knack, short of downloading from a modern mac.

And which build would I need.....

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I went for the QGL version, coz I am pretty sure that rings a bell (Nvidia GeforceFX go5200 gpu).
All seems good.
Doing some googling, does QGL need to be activated in Leopard.....?

@wicknix damn fine job by the way, it looks great compared to Safari.....:p

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I went for the QGL version, coz I am pretty sure that rings a bell (Nvidia GeforceFX go5200 gpu).
All seems good.
Doing some googling, does QGL need to be activated in Leopard.....?

@wicknix damn fine job by the way, it looks great compared to Safari.....:p
I'm guessing Quartz GL is enabled in the prefs.js file for InterWebPPC - systemwide activation of it can decrease performance.

Reactions: MarkC426

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Just wanted to say that I really like InterWebPPC. I use the Quartz GL enabled G5 version on my PM G5 and the regular G4 and G3 versions on my Sawtooth and iBook G3 respectively. I find the Quartz GL enabled edition to be a much smoother browsing experience compared to the last release of TFF.

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Hi all!

I am the happiest interwebppc user on the planet and I use it on my eMac 1.25, my iMac 500 and, I was hoping on my overclocked iMac 233 (now 300) but...
No joy!

I just installed tiger using xpostfacto.
The machine is g3 300mhz, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hdd.

Tiger works imho quite decently but when I start interwebppc tells me: "You cannot use InterWebPPC with this version of Mac OS X"...
I am suffering so much!

Is this fixable? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.