Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
The 64 bit version is for 10.7 and above. It lacks the relinked libs needed to run on 10.6 unless you have macports installed.

Thanks for noting this. I found it wasn’t running on the ’08 MacBook I gave to my friend’s kid, despite my having set it up to boot in 64-bit mode (it definitely lacks macports). I kept 60.9.7 on there and I’m running 60.9.8 on my A1261 (which does have macports installed) using the compiled 64-bit build you made available.

(This was, incidentally, the same update I couldn’t build a few weeks ago, no matter what method I tried.)

Reactions: lepidotós

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
On the Windows side of pre SSE2 hardware we’re stuck with Firefox 48 or 45 ESR. On Linux we have Firefox 78.8 at the very least.
Roytam1 from MSFN builds the latest releases of UXP for SSE only processors on Windows. I run them on my Athlon XP, and Pentium III's.

Reactions: lepidotós

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
The 64 bit version is for 10.7 and above. It lacks the relinked libs needed to run on 10.6 unless you have macports installed.
Ok, that explains it. So, if I just install MacPorts it will then run ? Can you explain what to do get it to run in 64-bit ? My SL is running only 64-bit kernel.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I will try that. Its not alarming, just weird that my kernel is all 64-bit with no rosetta installed and Interweb 32-bit runs and runs rather well. Thank you for keeping our machines alive and going. I can use Snow Leopard again.

The 32-bit intel build is the recommended version for 10.6, as it supports all the good plugins, like quicktime, evernote, iphoto, etc. If you really want the 64-bit version, install these 2 files to /usr/lib on 10.6. No need for macports then. The intel interweb support pages are here, here, and here.

Cheers

Thanks for providing those files. I look forward to giving a compile a go soon.

(As shared before, I like to compile the builds not because of anything special, feature-wise, but because I enjoy the exercise of troubleshooting to make a build happen successfully.)

Reactions: Amethyst1

tomnic

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Wonderful, my Dual and Quad G5 came back to life... I've found two "bugs": in Facebook if you try to click on a reaction the page scrolls automatically instead of displaying the reactions, in Open Spotify the page is blank: are these issues "fixable" or am I asking too much?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Facebarf has been causing issues with even more mainstream browsers recently as well. Your best bet is use the mobile version of the site (m.facebook.com) as it still works fine, or grab my old FaceIt app (Leopard only). Spotify has been a no go on PowerPC OSX for a few years now. It won't work with any PPC browser either as spotify requires googles widevine plugin which is not available for PowerPC.

Cheers

Facebarf has been causing issues with even more mainstream browsers recently as well. Your best bet is use the mobile version of the site (m.facebook.com) as it still works fine, or grab my old FaceIt app (Leopard only). Spotify has been a no go on PowerPC OSX for a few years now. It won't work with any PPC browser either as spotify requires googles widevine plugin which is not available for PowerPC.

Cheers

F A C E B A R F

Mat MacOS9

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Should it be possible to use addons like with TFF? Somehow I am not able to install uBlock or others.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Yes. You'll need "legacy XUL" versions of extensions like uBlock found here or noscript found here.

Cheers

With uBlock it's useable even on my DP 550 MHz GE with 1GB RAM under Sorbet, with QE (but not the CI) capable card.

What are your experiences with uBlock vs noscript performance-wise? On the same hardware ofc.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If you use a hosts file to block ads / trackers (which sorbet comes with), there really is no need for ublock.

If you dont use a hosts file, ublock wont kill performance if you only use 1 or 2 filter lists. If you load it up with too many it will slow the browser down a bit.

Ive always been a fan of noscript since way back in the day. Simple and efficient.

I guess play around with both and see what you like better.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.