Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkerholt16

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
I assumed that storing the messages in the cloud would make my iPhone/iPad storage go down and my iCloud storage go up.

Before messages in cloud: iPhone storage 121gb. iCloud storage 113gb
After messages in cloud: iPhone storage 116gb. iCloud storage 34gb

Does that seem weird? I have a lot of messages and attachments. Around 85gb

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
View attachment 763767 View attachment 763768 Anyone know why iCloud shows 56GB of messages but only 6GB on my device in convos? I’m confused

Can you check something for me? Are the conversations the only chats that has media shared within the convo. Pictures for example.

I am also confused by this but it seems on my phone that the chats listed under conversations all have media shared whereas the rest don’t.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I assumed that storing the messages in the cloud would make my iPhone/iPad storage go down and my iCloud storage go up.

Before messages in cloud: iPhone storage 121gb. iCloud storage 113gb
After messages in cloud: iPhone storage 116gb. iCloud storage 34gb

Does that seem weird? I have a lot of messages and attachments. Around 85gb

Give it a few days. It took 2 days for everything to sort itself out. Messages in iCloud take up 240 MB and the Messages storage space on my phone dropped from 105 MB to 5 MB. My iPad is also at 5 MB, so I assume it dropped as well.

That does make me wonder why iCloud is using over double the storage that each device was using when the messages on each were nearly the same.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Can you check something for me? Are the conversations the only chats that has media shared within the convo. Pictures for example.

I am also confused by this but it seems on my phone that the chats listed under conversations all have media shared whereas the rest don’t.

I haven’t been able to figure which conversations actually show up there. Before my iPhone fully synced the conversations that showed up in iCloud storage on my iPad, matched the ones stored locally on my iPhone, but neither matched all the actual conversations in Messages.

It doesn’t appear to be based off attachments as one of the conversations had none and was only 512 bytes.

My best guess is that only conversations with a certain number of messages show up.

I’ll note that since Messages in iCloud doesn’t show photo, video, etc sizes in iCloud storage (like it did in local storage) it makes cleaning up large videos/photos a lot harder than it used to be. I guess Apple just wants you to buy more storage rather than delete message attachments.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta

No it’s both pics and no pics

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
My messages keep saying "downloading from iCloud" - Been that way on and off since I turned it on. When it's doing that, messages app gets slow/sluggish and buggy. Really hope it hasn't messed anything up. :(

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
I haven’t been able to figure which conversations actually show up there. Before my iPhone fully synced the conversations that showed up in iCloud storage on my iPad, matched the ones stored locally on my iPhone, but neither matched all the actual conversations in Messages.

It doesn’t appear to be based off attachments as one of the conversations had none and was only 512 bytes.

My best guess is that only conversations with a certain number of messages show up.

I’ll note that since Messages in iCloud doesn’t show photo, video, etc sizes in iCloud storage (like it did in local storage) it makes cleaning up large videos/photos a lot harder than it used to be. I guess Apple just wants you to buy more storage rather than delete message attachments.

No it’s both pics and no pics

I wonder what defines a thread as a conversation then. Strange.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
Does anyone have a “Zero KB” conversations in the messages section of iCloud? I have around 150 MB of messages and apparently they are synced.
Yeah im notivcing this too what is the difference between the 2 storage options my conversations are showing as zero kb and 138kb in the settings tab for messages its weird

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Turned off iCloud messages. Too many issues. Causing iMessage to send/revert to text sporadically, messages don't send to non iMessage people sometimes. Downloading messages notification is still going. I get failures but then people are really getting them. It's not good.

Turned it off and restarted my phone. Unfortunately its STILL trying to upload after that.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
my advice is to leave apple feedback on their feedback site. thats what ive done and if enough people do it they might change it. its not very intuitive like in photos if a photo is uploading it tells you its uploading etc messages doesnt do that and we no longer have a manual sync option. They had this in the earlier betas.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have a sincere question closely related to this thread. At what point in time did smartphone users start assuming and expecting that SMS or iMessages would be permanently stored, like email?

I'll admit that I'm an 30+ year technology professional and therefore rarely see technology from the same viewpoint as the younger crowd. However, I have always considered iMessages and SMS messages as only effective for short and ephemeral communication. Never, ever, have I cared that the iMessage that I sent or received even a day ago persisted into next week or across devices. I have always assumed that it was my responsibility to take any included information such as a photo, contact information, or address and save that information to the appropriate storage such as my contacts or Photo library.

A great concern of mine is that I frequently observe that the vast majority of current technology users (young and old) naively accept that it's fine to just assume that technology is handling their data and that they have no care or responsibility whatsoever to maintain, organize, archive, or backup their information. And, it's not just iMessage. It troubles me greatly the number of times that I have attempted to provide support to someone that has misplaced a file and I struggle to assist them when the answer to my question of "where do you think you saved the file", is, "on my computer" or "on my phone". Unfortunately, I think that that many of the same users consider SMS/iMessage to be a communication method that is permanent in nature.

It seems, from my perspective, that the majority of today's technology users simply lack the care or patience to understand the appropriate and most effective use of the diverse communication and storage technologies that they use every day. So, maybe we need someone to set up a poll. I honestly want to know what percentage of current iMessage users expect their messages to be available/preserved forever, just like email.

You’re living in a world where United States policy is communicated by tweet.

I’d agree with you that the user should take some responsibility for managing texts, but Apple has never provided the tools to save threads — so there’s that.

And texts have become a major source of replacing correspondence via email — much less letters. For many entire business and personal transactions occur faster than the user can manage them, so like email, the text app has become an archive repository, taking the place of the show box in your closet holding all those love letters from a past romance.

Reactions: HDJulie

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'm in love with finally being pushed to enable 2-factor-authentication. Sure, I should have had it on long ago, but I didn't - ah, well... After enabling it, I get a weird glitch and get stuck on the confirm screen when it's nearly finished. It finishes... I get 3 emails that 2-factor was enabled. Weird.

I now can't click Name / Password / Payment under my name in Settings on my iPhone 7. It says "Cannot Connect to iCloud". 45 minutes on the phone with Apple, and they can't determine what the issue is. Great.

One messages glitch was that the pictures of folks turned up in my Messages app, but not their names over their phone numbers. I had to turn off and back on my contacts in iCloud to get that fixed. Not happy with this so far at all.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Also note that this only works on actual messages and not attached photos unfortunately. Still have to manually go in and delete them on each device separately. Kill me now

This is annoying. I have recently been individually deleting photographs from four devices and assumed Messages in the Cloud would mean I only need to delete from one device to delete everywhere. Surely it's not meant to work like this.

I’ve been experimenting with the sync features. Deleting an entire message thread works fine across iOS devices. But, if go into a message thread and try to delete a single message from the conversation (tap and hold a message, click “More”, select the individual message, and click delete), it works on the device I’m using, but deletes the ENTIRE message thread from my other iOS devices. Can anyone else confirm this?

Also annoying. And also can't be how it's meant to work.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Turned off iCloud messages. Too many issues. Causing iMessage to send/revert to text sporadically, messages don't send to non iMessage people sometimes. Downloading messages notification is still going. I get failures but then people are really getting them. It's not good.

Turned it off and restarted my phone. Unfortunately its STILL trying to upload after that.

Curious what device you are using?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
This is annoying. I have recently been individually deleting photographs from four devices and assumed Messages in the Cloud would mean I only need to delete from one device to delete everywhere. Surely it's not meant to work like this.

According to Apple's support document, deleting photos should sync.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532
When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices.

Maybe it just takes awhile to sync.

Reactions: sananda

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
So when 10.13.5 is released, would it be better to delete messages on my Macs and let them download from iCloud since my iPhone and iPad are already using Messages in the Cloud? It seems that every device you add uploads all of the messages and adds to the amount of iCloud storage used. It doesn't appear that iCloud is merging the messages and deleting the redundant copies, just making a big pool of data.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
does anyone know at what point do message backup to the cloud i noticed my messages were say 12kb originally but after i did an iCloud backup it changed to 13kb and each time id send a new message or thread and did another iCloud backup it would increase again to 14kb etc. So im wondering does iCloud backup backup the messages to the cloud and then the green switch in messages under iCloud settings pulls them down to all devices

s2s

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
I enabled on both iOS and MacOS 10.13.5, I keep all Conversations on iOS but few of them on Mac in the past, by enabled iMessages on iCloud I expect all messages should be synced eg those missing Conversations will be put back to Mac.

But it didn't work that way, Mac didn't seem to download those Conversations that are in iOS but not in Mac...

----

Edit. The missing Conversations won't be downloaded by default, however if you receive any new message from one of the missing Conversation, the complete thread of Conversation will be downloaded. Looks like it will take some time to fully sync all Conversations.

Last edited:

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
Yeah I’ve noticed that too. I had some missing messages on some devices but they appeared after a while. But yeah your right it seems to copy the missing ones when all are downloaded. I know new messages are stored locally on the devices and older ones are in the cloud how do the older ones get onto the devices is it by scrolling down and they appear

ThePeacemaker02

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I wish Apple was a little more descriptive about it. I have 6.4 gb of messages uploaded to iCloud. When I click conversations it lists around 5 gb. Then clicking conversations doesn't show all the threads in my messaging app. I turned the feature on on my iPad and it's only showing those more recent ones and I can't see the older conversations (never had iMessages activated on that). 6.4 gb seems about right for the size of my messaging app but I don't know how to access them. If I turned it on on my iPad shouldn't I be able to see everything on my iPad?

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
I wish Apple was a little more descriptive about it. I have 6.4 gb of messages uploaded to iCloud. When I click conversations it lists around 5 gb. Then clicking conversations doesn't show all the threads in my messaging app. I turned the feature on on my iPad and it's only showing those more recent ones and I can't see the older conversations (never had iMessages activated on that). 6.4 gb seems about right for the size of my messaging app but I don't know how to access them. If I turned it on on my iPad shouldn't I be able to see everything on my iPad?
Yes to my knowledge you should be able to although I tested this too and it didn’t work I have noticed it works when he device is signed into for the first time all the messages appear so perhaps it only works for first time sign in maybe but not sure

Also u mention conversations I’m noticing issues with that too I’ve 11kb stored in iCloud but conversations says I’ve 2.2 mb I’m confused as to what the difference is how could I have 2.2 mb conversations but 11mb stored in the cloud

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
Can someone explain for me:

On icloud messages are 1.5GB
On my phone its only 130mb.

I did set up phone as new .

Its seems like i have everything...but still im confused how it works?
[doublepost=1527955363][/doublepost]Can someone explain for me:

On icloud messages are 1.5GB
On my phone its only 130mb.

I did set up phone as new .

Its seems like i have everything...but still im confused how it works?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
So, this whole messages in the cloud thing seems to be half baked.

On my iPhone X, some of my messages are going through as SMS. Those same messages show as iMessage on my computer. As well as, attachments going to my computer but not going to my phone. Really aggravated about that. Phone is not syncing them up and constantly keeps saying "DOWNLOADING FROM ICLOUD"

I now have a conversation that won't update on my phone anymore but only on my computer. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.