Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mloiterman

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I'm having a more nuanced problem with mine - Upgraded from iPhone 6 to 8 and now, bluetooth in my 2015 VW Golf cuts out. Similar to a CD skip, intermittently the song will stop playing and "skip." I then also have issues 25% of the time when I turn the car on it will say bluetooth is connected and even show that it is playing but there is no audio. Only way to fix it is to completely turn off and restart bluetooth on the phone and car and this doesn't always work. Issue is present with Apple Music, Spotify, and Apple Podcasts.

This weekend, I test drove a 2017 BWM 330xi and it had the same exact issue.

This problem is NOT present with my Beats Solo3 bluetooth headphones, only with car bluetooth.

This is the exact problem I have.

Could you try erasing all network settings and seeing if that works for you? It didn’t for me.

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
This is the exact problem I have.

Could you try erasing all network settings and seeing if that works for you? It didn’t for me.

If you're on an iPhone X/8/8+, the issue is most likely that you're car isn't compatible with BT 5.0 and either Apple will need to make the BT 5.0 radio better backwards compatible with older devices through an update or your car manufacturer will need to update your firmware in your radio/infotainment system to make it compatible with the new BT. Chances are, your car manufacturer isn't going to do anything.

andx

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
So it would be up to the car brand to issue an update for their systems? Just checked with BMW but they don't have any recent updates I'm afraid.
I think it's an excuse...
They told the same also with speaker or headphone...
How can you update a headphone ?
My car for example was unable to connect iphone with ios 10.1, apple told my car manufacturer must update...but no problem with 10.2...

mloiterman

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
If you're on an iPhone X/8/8+, the issue is most likely that you're car isn't compatible with BT 5.0 and either Apple will need to make the BT 5.0 radio better backwards compatible with older devices through an update or your car manufacturer will need to update your firmware in your radio/infotainment system to make it compatible with the new BT. Chances are, your car manufacturer isn't going to do anything.

I get what you’re saying, but I saw the exact same behavior with my iPhone 7 only AFTER updating to iOS 11. Prior to iOS 11, my iPhone 7 worked perfectly with the same car.

It’s possible there is some compatability issue with the Bluetooth hardware in the new iPhone when linked with my BMW. But it seems unlikely that I would have the exact same behavior and failures with iPhone 7 and iPhone X if hardware were the root cause of the problem.

andx

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
I get what you’re saying, but I saw the exact same behavior with my iPhone 7 only AFTER updating to iOS 11. Prior to iOS 11, my iPhone 7 worked perfectly with the same car.

It’s possible there is some compatability issue with the Bluetooth hardware in the new iPhone when linked with my BMW. But it seems unlikely that I would have the exact same behavior and failures with iPhone 7 and iPhone X if hardware were the root cause of the problem.
It’s absolutely a software issue, not hardware;
Issue are exactly the same with SE, 6,7,8,X ecc.
No problem with 10.3.3
For example my car didn’t loss connection with spotify or play music, but did when i reproduce apple music....
Same with my iphone SE and iphone 8 plus
How this could be hardware ?!

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011

I definitely think this can be fixed by Apple with some form of software/firmware update for the BT radios in iOS 11 so they can be backwards compatible with our cars. This is utterly ridiculous.

andx

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
I definitely think this can be fixed by Apple with some form of software/firmware update for the BT radios in iOS 11 so they can be backwards compatible with our cars. This is utterly ridiculous.
In previous firmware apple still say : car fault, but fixed with update after some month...
Still said also to ford users “car fault”, but 11.1 fixed with ford sync

Reactions: macfacts

Hisartwork

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
i have a 2012 Mazda 3 and Bluetooth also worked fine on my 6S until ios11. Since 11 The music still plays normal, but phone calls are extremely low, even at MAX volume you can barely hear. Tried repairing the phone, nothing. Just upgraded to iPhone 8. Same exact issue.

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Anyone tested this yet with 11.2 beta?

Beta 1 exactly same issue of 11.1
Beta 2 completely stop working

I'm running 11.2 public beta 2 right now on my 8 Plus, installed it on Tue night and so far yesterday and today I haven't had my BT disconnect from my Acura. I'm not getting too excited yet but so far so good the past 2 days. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it keeps performing.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
My husband and I both have 6S Plus phones now running iOS 11.1. Only my iPhone seems to be affected. It started as soon as I upgraded to iOS 11. Had my BMW for 3 years and 3 iPhone models... 4S, 5S, and 6S Plus. All have integrated perfectly. Typically my husband's and my phone both are paired and connected at the same time when we are both in the car. Whoever gets an incoming call, the car's bluetooth picks up. Since iOS 11 my phone seems to keep losing it's connection. When it happens the only way to reconnect is to remove the device from the car... forget the device on the iPhone and re-pair the connection. I was hoping 11.1 would fix it but I have experienced no change. Nothing is wrong with my iPhone, I know it's the iOS. How much longer until they fix this? I'm not used to Apple issues... this is wearing me out.

jhersco

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
For me, the problems with my iPhone and my Acura RDX started with iOS 11 running on an iPhone 7 Plus. That that iPhone didn't have Bluetooth 5.0.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
For me, the problems with my iPhone and my Acura RDX started with iOS 11 running on an iPhone 7 Plus. That that iPhone didn't have Bluetooth 5.0.

This is also my experience.

So far, I have failed with my original 7 Plus (Intel), my backup iPhone SE (Qualcomm), and a new 8 Plus (Qualcomm).

Just in case, I have an X (Intel) on the way, and I'll give it a try. But I really and truly do not believe that I want an iPhone that does not work with my car's Bluetooth.

In another thread, a user of 11.2 beta versions says that he is okay, but he hasn't answered the question yet whether he was having a problem before 11.2, and that 11.2 made it better.

Meanwhile, my LG V30 is working embarrassingly perfectly, and I am facing the prospect of having to figure out how to have a V30 in my otherwise all-Apple ecosystem, and having to start using a "work phone" because I cannot use the V30 for work (at one job).

This is all very discouraging and very un-Apple-like, and I wish they'd admit there's an issue they need to fix, and get on with it!!
[doublepost=1510406257][/doublepost]
I'm running 11.2 public beta 2 right now on my 8 Plus, installed it on Tue night and so far yesterday and today I haven't had my BT disconnect from my Acura. I'm not getting too excited yet but so far so good the past 2 days. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it keeps performing.

Thank you!

That is very encouraging. :)

It almost makes me want to rejoin beta testing!

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
This is also my experience.

So far, I have failed with my original 7 Plus (Intel), my backup iPhone SE (Qualcomm), and a new 8 Plus (Qualcomm).

Just in case, I have an X (Intel) on the way, and I'll give it a try. But I really and truly do not believe that I want an iPhone that does not work with my car's Bluetooth.

In another thread, a user of 11.2 beta versions says that he is okay, but he hasn't answered the question yet whether he was having a problem before 11.2, and that 11.2 made it better.

Meanwhile, my LG V30 is working embarrassingly perfectly, and I am facing the prospect of having to figure out how to have a V30 in my otherwise all-Apple ecosystem, and having to start using a "work phone" because I cannot use the V30 for work (at one job).

This is all very discouraging and very un-Apple-like, and I wish they'd admit there's an issue they need to fix, and get on with it!!
[doublepost=1510406257][/doublepost]

Thank you!

That is very encouraging. :)

It almost makes me want to rejoin beta testing!

So far through last night, no connection drops as of yet since I installed 11.2 PB2 on Tuesday.

I’m hoping nothing gets broken whenever PB3 comes out as I’m quite pleased so far. Other than BT working as it should, PB2 has been running very solid and fluid on this beta so far. As reference, my BT was still jacked on 11.2 PB1 so I think Apple did a positive change to the BT stack in PB2. Maybe enough people submitted bug reports.

The only issue/bug I’ve had is that when my phone detects any BT connection, the music app likes to start playing upon connection and I’ve submitted a bug report for that.

MikeRadio

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
I am having the disconnect problem with iPhone X and 11.1.1.

Seems to disconnect often when connecting then is OK after awhile.

I have Acura TLX

Does anyone with Acura TLX running 11.2 beta 2 still have this issue?

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I am having the disconnect problem with iPhone X and 11.1.1.

Seems to disconnect often when connecting then is OK after awhile.

I have Acura TLX

Does anyone with Acura TLX running 11.2 beta 2 still have this issue?

2016 Acura TLX Tech & Advanced packages, using an iPhone 8 + on iOS 11.2 beta 2 and so far no issues and the phone stays connected to the car. All previous versions of iOS 11 wouldn't stay connected. So far 11.2 beta 2 seems to be solid since installing it last Tuesday.

Reactions: George Knighton

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles

I'm on the beta too. Phone calls work, Music app works, Spotify acts like it's working, but puts out no sound at all. No problem with disconnects.

This is on a Toyota Sienna w/OEM Nav and a Honda with an aftermarket Kenwood that had issues after the iOS 6 update.

Reactions: George Knighton

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
2016 Acura TLX Tech & Advanced packages, using an iPhone 8 + on iOS 11.2 beta 2 and so far no issues and the phone stays connected to the car. All previous versions of iOS 11 wouldn't stay connected. So far 11.2 beta 2 seems to be solid since installing it last Tuesday.

Very encouraging. Thank you.

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
11.2 Beta 2, added feedback for this -

Phone playing music on Mercedes, either Spotify or Music over Bluetooth.
Use Siri to call.
Returns to either say music paused when on device the music is playing but certainly no sound out of car speakers.

frustrating and have to re start Music or Bluetooth to get it working again.

If I use car bluetooth, go home for lunch use Spotify from my phone on my Sonos then go back into the car again no sound but playing on device.

Reset app and works again...

Frustrating and no very safe to fix whilst driving...

itsgoofy

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
IPhone X - IOS 11.1.1 with BMW 5 series 2011. Bluetooth software latest version in car.
Like other car owners the issue is exactly the same for my car. The connecting keeps on being refreshed - on and on. Extremely annoying. Will also test other functions as I learned from others in this thread that also other functions might not work properly anymore.
Waiting for apple to resolve (again).

wendellg85

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Same problem here, iPhone 8+ iOS 11.1 with BMW M235 2015. iPhone Music & Audible sound does not come through car audio despite BT showing as being connected. It worked fine until yesterday and I hadn't updated the iOS at that time. Just did the 11.1.1 update but not expecting it to help based on feedback here.

Apple please fix this, it's ridiculous.

ukwildcatfan2017

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Just updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 and the Bluetooth connection with my car (Renault, using R-link 2) has stopped working. They connect automatically, but a few seconds later the connection is lost. Then they reconnect again and lose connection again. Over and over again.

I've tried everything I can think of: Rebooting both the iPhone and car. Re-pairing devices. Resetting the phone to factory settings. Updated car software. Even tried to shut down my Apple Watch, so it didn't interfere.

Nothing helped.

Everything worked perfect yesterday before the update.
I use the car+phone 2 hours every day, so I'm desperate to get it fixed.

Anyone knows what to do?

I have an Iphone 6s (do not judge) and a subaru outback.
Noticed that as I was listening to phone through bluetooth and then playback was interrupted the bluetooth would show connected on radio but no sound.
Found turning SIRI on and of would reestablish connection.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
By the way, this mostly happened to me with Apple Music, I have since switched to Tidal (free with my mobile plan) and I have no issues anymore.

pdm32

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Just updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 and the Bluetooth connection with my car (Renault, using R-link 2) has stopped working. They connect automatically, but a few seconds later the connection is lost. Then they reconnect again and lose connection again. Over and over again.

I've tried everything I can think of: Rebooting both the iPhone and car. Re-pairing devices. Resetting the phone to factory settings. Updated car software. Even tried to shut down my Apple Watch, so it didn't interfere.

Nothing helped.

Everything worked perfect yesterday before the update.
I use the car+phone 2 hours every day, so I'm desperate to get it fixed.

Anyone knows what to do?
[doublepost=1510756822][/doublepost]In my case, on a X, after the 11.1.1 update, BOTH Bluetooth and USB connections drop after a few minutes in a 2015 BMW X3. The X has been terrific, until this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.