Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
With previous IOS releases, how long after Beta 1 before Apple released Beta 2? I recall in later betas it was pretty much every 2 weeks but I'm not sure about earlier betas. This is the first time I jumped in before the public beta was released.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Chances of dp2 coming tomorrow?

I’d say there’s an ok chance Monday, higher Tuesday/Wednesday, but best chances next week, same time frames. The smoothness of this build might argue for a release this week, but I’m not sure Apple does its release scheduling based on the apparent success of any particular build.

Reactions: 3:16

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
I’d say there’s an ok chance Monday, higher Tuesday/Wednesday, but best chances next week, same time frames. The smoothness of this build might argue for a release this week, but I’m not sure Apple does its release scheduling based on the apparent success of any particular build.

They usually allow themselves about 2 weeks between betas. Sometimes, they release earlier if there are some critical usability bugs. WWDC ended a week ago, so I expect the next batch of betas on the week starting one the 25th of June. But since watchOS 5.0 is in a catastrophic state, they can release a “beta 1.5” next week and then have an extended period of testing resulting in a public beta on the 27th of June (dev beta 25th).

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'm guessing it'll be sometime this week. Last year, the 2nd beta came out on a Wednesday or a Thursday at an unusual time if I'm remembering correctly.

pamar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Guys if you are clueless dont write on the forums! Last few years beta 2 comes the second week after beta 1. And PB1 later the same week. Beta 2 will most likely be released by Thu this week and PB1 by Fri. Stop writing misleading info about past releases

ohernan

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Dedham, Massachusetts
They usually allow themselves about 2 weeks between betas. Sometimes, they release earlier if there are some critical usability bugs. WWDC ended a week ago, so I expect the next batch of betas on the week starting one the 25th of June. But since watchOS 5.0 is in a catastrophic state, they can release a “beta 1.5” next week and then have an extended period of testing resulting in a public beta on the 27th of June (dev beta 25th).
Wasn't the WWDC June 4th, it would make today 2 weeks.

atton

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2016
London, UK
Guys if you are clueless dont write on the forums! Last few years beta 2 comes the second week after beta 1. And PB1 later the same week. Beta 2 will most likely be released by Thu this week and PB1 by Fri. Stop writing misleading info about past releases

I'll believe this guy. Why? Because he provides something most others don't. HOPE :p:D

...that or I'm just eager to get on the public beta.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Be careful making statements like you made in your first 2 sentences. For iOS 10, the interval between the release date of 10.0 DB 1 (June 13) and 10.0 DB 2 (July 5) was 22 days, which, by my reckoning, is NOT the second week after beta 1 was dropped, unless weeks now have 12 or more days in them.

Every year its been different, depending, likely, on events within Apple that we no nothing about. It has become almost impossible to generalize about release dates based on past data.

All that said, you may be correct about about the release timeframe for DB2. I do not think PB1 will come only 1 day later and almost certainly not on a Friday (leaving hapless PB users with a weekend of a messed up phone if something goes wrong).

Last edited:
Reactions: jhall8

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
Be careful making statements like you made in your first 2 sentences. For iOS 10, the interval between the release date of 10.0 DB 1 (June 13) and 10.0 DB 2 (July 5) was 22 days, which, by my reckoning, is NOT the second week after beta 1 was dropped, unless weeks now have 12 or more days in them.

Every year its been different, depending, likely, on events within Apple that we no nothing about. It has become almost impossible to generalize about release dates based on past data.

All that said, you may be correct about about the release timeframe for DB2. I do not think PB1 will come only 1 day later and almost certainly not on a Friday (leaving hapless PB users with a weekend of a messed up phone if something goes wrong).

Come on guys. It’s all speculation on when Apple releases beta 2...

Relax and let’s just wait it out! :)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Really looking forward to beta 2 dropping today (it WILL happen) for a potential fix to the banking app mishap and the intermittent Bluetooth audio cutouts that started over the weekend.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Yes.

http://www.thinkybits.com/blog/iOS-versions/

With iOS 11.0 it was 16 days between beta 1 and beta 2...

So beta 1 came out on a Monday... it’s a possibility we may not see beta 2 till early next week.

I hope it’s this week, preferably today. :)

We really should focus on PB1, as that will drive the date for DP2. PB1 is due before end of June per Apple. The last date I can see Apple releasing a PB during a typical week is Thursday, to allow time for potential fire drills to be addressed later that day or the following day, on Friday, before a weekend (especially before a holiday week, which many probably plan to take vacation). This means PB1 will come no later than 6/28. We also know that PB1 of any major release never comes the same day as a DP early on in the cycle, but usually follows by at least 1 if not 2 days. Therefore, the last day we should expect DP2 is Tuesday of next week or 6/26.

That said, as you mention, usually DP2 follows DP1 by 14 or more days but usually not as many days as 21, so it's going to come between today (6/18) and next Tuesday (6/26). I'd hedge this week and by Thursday.

Reactions: bigjnyc

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I would really like an B2 before I travel to Toronto on Thursday morning. Everything was going well until Saturday when I used navigation.... Ever since then my battery life has been terrible and my phone has been getting really hot with limited use.

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
Remember that at this point Apple is very unpredictable, last December they released an iOS public release on a saturday...so at this point Apple can do whatever they want...
Also, this is a public beta not a public release, so it shouldn't be as stable as a full release...

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Remember that at this point Apple is very unpredictable, last December they released an iOS public release on a saturday...so at this point Apple can do whatever they want...
Also, this is a public beta not a public release, so it shouldn't be as stable as a full release...
That was an emergency release to fix the date bug if I remember correctly.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Also, and this is not a nitpicky point, this is NOT a public beta. This is a developer beta. And Apple may be unpredictable to us, I am sure they have their own timeline and are proceeding very nicely along it.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.