Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I deleted my account, rebooted, deleted the app, rebooted , put my account back in etc and the mail app still freezes when I click on a notification. I’m getting used to just not clicking on mail notifications now.

Same.

It’s utterly ridiculous that we’re being forced to simply adjust to these ridiculous bugs.
[automerge]1574360018[/automerge]
Ugh - is Mail search broken again, too?

The simplest things don’t work in a simple Mail application. Damn, Apple.

Last edited:

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I haven’t done a ton of rigorous testing, but I feel like the “ALL MAILBOXES” section of the Mail app is responsible for a lot of the issues we’re experiencing.

Searching, for example, seems to work decently well when searching individual mailboxes, but not ALL MAILBOXES.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
It could also be phone specific. We have an on-call phone (iPhone 7) that doesn't have this issue with Mail. I have an iPhone X that does.
My iPhone 7 also does not have this freezing issue. The issue I have is a syncing issue. My mail will not sync until I open the app so I never know what I have if anything in there. I’ve just been using Gmail instead works perfectly

Reactions: tspear8183

MCKLMT

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2018
France
I still have the same bug with Siri and French. Siri still pronounces the hyphen (tiret) in CarPlay when reading messages.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
My iPhone 7 also does not have this freezing issue. The issue I have is a syncing issue. My mail will not sync until I open the app so I never know what I have if anything in there. I’ve just been using Gmail instead works perfectly

The on call iPhone 7 we have had the same issue. It doesn't have it in the latest public version of iOS.

Reactions: tspear8183

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Siri is very intermittent now using my AirPods pro. Beta 2 had no issues, now with beta 3, Siri rarely works.

anyone else seeing this issue?

newjerseydamo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
The music app is really starting to frustrate me, especially as it’d be my most used app.
The up next/history listing is bugged beyond belief. even when you clear it via multiple methods multiple times, it retains songs.

Also, battery got worse in 13.3 beta 2, but beta 3 is a whole new level of bad.
I could still be in the ~90% level getting to work, and that’s via listening to music and general browsing.

Today, I’m down to 84% and not even at work yet.

That, and the weird keyboard bugs too.

Just terrible.

(On an iPhone 8 Plus that was bought in August 2018. Battery health showing 99%, and only recently was at 100% up until a couple of weeks ago).

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
After installing I was having severe cellular connectivity issues. Cellular data would stop working every several minutes and I'd have to toggle airplane mode to fix it. Resetting Network Settings didn't help. A hard reboot eventually did.

iPhone 11 Pro Max.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Nah mine stopped showing old devices several betas ago. Maybe in 13.2

Thanks. Mine no longer shows an old iPhone X but there are two entries for my watch. I renamed it not long ago so I’m assuming both entries are for the same watch. Perhaps there is a time out and it will just go. However, when I get screen time to just show the watch there is never any data anyway. Oh well.

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
After installing I was having severe cellular connectivity issues. Cellular data would stop working every several minutes and I'd have to toggle airplane mode to fix it. Resetting Network Settings didn't help. A hard reboot eventually did.

iPhone 11 Pro Max.
I have noticed it 2 times today, hard reboot worked for me!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Resetting network settings does a hard reboot, so what likely happened is your cellular provider had issues right around the time you upgraded. Coincidences happen. :)

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
The music app is really starting to frustrate me, especially as it’d be my most used app.
The up next/history listing is bugged beyond belief. even when you clear it via multiple methods multiple times, it retains songs.

Also, battery got worse in 13.3 beta 2, but beta 3 is a whole new level of bad.
I could still be in the ~90% level getting to work, and that’s via listening to music and general browsing.

Today, I’m down to 84% and not even at work yet.

That, and the weird keyboard bugs too.

Just terrible.

(On an iPhone 8 Plus that was bought in August 2018. Battery health showing 99%, and only recently was at 100% up until a couple of weeks ago).
In fairness betas are not supposed to be optimized for battery life. Especially an early beta. There is a lot of logging and reporting and such going on, attempts on fixes and changes to be tested. Optimized battery life most likely isn't at the top of the list.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
In fairness betas are not supposed to be optimized for battery life. Especially an early beta. There is a lot of logging and reporting and such going on, attempts on fixes and changes to be tested. Optimized battery life most likely isn't at the top of the list.
I agree with your statement but I'm getting the best battery life ever on the 13.3 betas, iP11Pro. The public releases I've ran since 13.1 have not been this good in both usage and standby.

newjerseydamo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
13.3 beta 1 was fine. These are also incremental updates, not a major release.
Beta 2 and 3, especially 3, has been nothing short of horrid.
Also, considering I’m pretty much enrolled in the beta program and have nothing but betas the past several years, this is the worst I’ve ever seen it.
the battery drains like nothing else.

Reactions: Ninflu

Kermetajb

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
I know there are a lot of complaints being discussed in this thread, and I am not dismissing any of them, but my experience has been excellent on this beta. I don’t think I’ve ever made any comment about smoothness on a beta, but I am definitely noticing that and a general overall responsiveness that was lacking on iOS 13 until now (iPhone X).

I know the mail issues are still a problem for many users, but I can happily say that I have avoided all of that by using Spark for the past three years. I am not criticizing anyone for using Mail, but it just seems that many of you could avoid your heartache by just using a third-party client until things become stable again.

There are definitely some bugs that still need to be addressed, but for anyone wondering how the overall progress is, things are definitely improving and I think iOS 13.3 will be a reliable, smooth release.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
If one has to avoid a major feature of iOS such as Mail then neither the release nor the beta is “smooth.” I’m on 13.3 and I see multiple threads concerning syncing and other issues between Notes, Mail, Reminders, Messages, and App Store updates. I do agree that several significant issues have been resolved in 13.3. My impression is that it is really the first non-beta release. It should have been the 13.0 release. There are still multiple issues but functionality is very good on various devices and would have prevented all the negative feedback Apple has gotten.

Kermetajb

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
If one has to avoid a major feature of iOS such as Mail then neither the release nor the beta is “smooth.” I’m on 13.3 and I see multiple threads concerning syncing and other issues between Notes, Mail, Reminders, Messages, and App Store updates. I do agree that several significant issues have been resolved in 13.3. My impression is that it is really the first non-beta release. It should have been the 13.0 release. There are still multiple issues but functionality is very good on various devices and would have prevented all the negative feedback Apple has gotten.
Yeah I agree with the problems with mail. That does stink for those users and I do agree that a fundamental, stock like mail should work reliably. However, for many users they are going to describe iOS 13.3 as smooth (such as myself) who don’t use mail.app. That’s the beauty of the App Store! :)

I’m not defending Apple or saying it’s ok for bugs to exist. I’m just saying that if you read this thread you would think that iOS 13.3 is absolutely horrid. It’s just not. There are problems, but we’re seeing some solid improvements. Also, I was encouraged to read the report the other day that Apple is revamping their software development practices to prevent buggy releases of iOS in the future. They proved they could do that with iOS 12. I figured they had already corrected that ship, but iOS 13 proved that theory wrong.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I agree with the problems with mail. That does stink for those users and I do agree that a fundamental, stock like mail should work reliably. However, for many users they are going to describe iOS 13.3 as smooth (such as myself) who don’t use mail.app. That’s the beauty of the App Store! :)

I’m not defending Apple or saying it’s ok for bugs to exist. I’m just saying that if you read this thread you would think that iOS 13.3 is absolutely horrid. It’s just not. There are problems, but we’re seeing some solid improvements. Also, I was encouraged to read the report the other day that Apple is revamping their software development practices to prevent buggy releases of iOS in the future. They proved they could do that with iOS 12. I figured they had already corrected that ship, but iOS 13 proved that theory wrong.
Hopefully they do with iOS 14 what they did for 12, and give compatibility to every generation that got the previous release. There’s still a 6s in my house, and one more major update to stabilize would do it some good! iOS 12 was amazing on it

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Intel iPhone 7 modem firmware updated to 4.01.02 now.
I see this update reported frequently. What exactly do these modem firmware updates provide, other than perhaps greater reliability? In other words, why do we care?
[automerge]1574443429[/automerge]
Hopefully they do with iOS 14 what they did for 12, and give compatibility to every generation that got the previous release. There’s still a 6s in my house, and one more major update to stabilize would do it some good! iOS 12 was amazing on it
I don't necessarily want to go "full iOS 12" for iOS 14. I'd be happy with the hybrid that seemed to be the point of the Bloomberg piece: Announce features at WWDC, release those you can with the X.0 release coinciding with the new iPhone models and release the rest when they are complete and don't have deleterious effects on other portions of the OS.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I haven’t done a ton of rigorous testing, but I feel like the “ALL MAILBOXES” section of the Mail app is responsible for a lot of the issues we’re experiencing.

Searching, for example, seems to work decently well when searching individual mailboxes, but not ALL MAILBOXES.
Mail is still not fixed for me as well.
Mail does not go to the All Inbox. Instead it goes to the individual Inbox and ONLY after I pull down. Then after some time when I go back to the All Inbox, it's there. I've missed a few emails by this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.