Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iOS 16.1 beta that was provided to developers today introduces a new Clean Energy Charging feature, which is designed to help iPhone users cut down on their carbon footprint.

clean-energy-charging-ios-16-1.jpg

Available in the Battery section of the Settings app, Clean Energy Charging selectively charges when lower carbon emission electricity is available in an effort to provide a more green charging method.

Apple says that the iPhone will still reach a full charge before it's needed based on a user's daily routine, and the feature can be toggled off if desired. It is enabled by default.

Apple first mentioned the Clean Energy Charging feature with the launch of iOS 16, adding it as an upcoming option.

Article Link: iOS 16.1 Beta Adds Clean Energy Charging Option to iPhone

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Does anyone know how it checks when cleaner energy is available? I read the press release and the footnote but it doesn't share if it checks local municipal databases, attempts to guess based on common schedules, or what. Just curious to read more.
This ^^^

How is my phone going to know what 'kind' of energy its getting. I dont get this feature at all.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Most people charge overnight. Most clean energy sources peak during the day (solar, wind, etc.) How is this going to do much of any good?
wind may peak during the day but wind turbines can still run overnight even if it’s not at its peak. Demand is also much lower at this point.

im wondering if their definition of clean should taken so literally.

overnight many power networks produce excess power and their generation can’t be reduced instantly. Using that power reduced demand at peak time.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
so no charging in china or india? I mean they are the LEAST "green" right?

China leads the world in almost all types of renewable energy, in research, in manufacturing, and in market adoption. Biggest wind farms, and solar farms are all in China.

A few days ago, China's Academy of Engineering Physics created a commercially viable grid scale implimentation of nuclear fusion reactor (artificial sun). A prototype plant was just approved by the government and will be completed in 2028. It's wildly believed to be viable because it uses a very different approach to solve the fusion problem, where energy spent sustaining the core must be lower than the energy generated by the core. It will be the world's first. After that human civilization will enter a new era.

audiophilosophy

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
This is greenwashing nonsense. It costs about $1 worth of electricity to charge a phone for a whole year (Google it if you think that’s unrealistic). Besides the points already mentioned by other commenters, Apple pushes wireless charging which is not nearly as efficient as wired charging. Wireless charging wastes a lot of electricity to heat. If they wanted to make a legit environmental difference, they’d let you have an option in settings to not charge your phone past 80% since that will noticeably increase the lifespan of your battery and let you keep your device longer before a battery replacement or device upgrade.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have a feeling this isn't going to really check for clean energy information, but rather it will push the bulk of the charging later into the night (maybe starting at 3-4AM) when overall energy demand is low.

If my phone has at least 20%, I'd rather it wait to charge until T-minus alarm time, where T is the time it takes to charge to 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.