Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Driving a Tesla while charging on a coal powered grid does nothing. You know it’s absurd when Elon Musk is even suggesting to drill more oil and gas. We aren’t ready, not even close to having the ability to have a renewable energy grid. So having a clean energy charging mode on an iPhone that is pulling electricity from coal powered plants does what now?
TBH I don't know enough about this so called clean energy charging and no doubt you are right, I would need to dig into the detail more but I guess if nothing else, it helps to bring this to the forefront of peoples mind, and if that can help change the way in which people consider the environment in other areas, that surely is a good thing if they start to change their habits.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
TBH I don't know enough about this so called clean energy charging and no doubt you are right, I would need to dig into the detail more but I guess if nothing else, it helps to bring this to the forefront of peoples mind, and if that can help change the way in which people consider the environment in other areas, that surely is a good thing if they start to change their habits.
Agree with you there!

Reactions: Chrjy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, it’s a collective effort by “everyone”, you, me, other members, and more importantly, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, real estate builders, and more. Our tiny effort of charging our phone “greenly” may never reach the critical mass it requires to even Slow down the global warming. I’m not saying we shouldn’t do anything. I’m saying those companies (and a certain country) have to play their part a lot more, faster, and harder. Unless, they want the world be destroyed and no one alive can enjoy their services and products.
How exactly would increasing development cycles save the planet? Would apple stop manufacturing phones, bricks, cables? Would apple save energy by not making zoom calls?

It’s very interesting and would love to hear how this would have a nice meaningful downstream impact on the planet.

• Haha
Reactions: Boyyai

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
You know we’ve come far with phones (or tech in general) when this is what we complain about now lol.

ouruniverse06131986

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2021
Turning off this stupid feature right away after I update. When I plug in my phone I want it to charge and quickly finish charging so I can use it. I didn’t buy a thousand dollar phone for a compromised user experience.
EXACTLY. So if I turn this option on and I plug in the cable it won’t charge until it “detects” carbon whatever the f is called?.

Cause if that’s the way is going to work. That is sooo dumb.

I like Apple but COME ON.

• Haha
Reactions: Huck and T Coma

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Turning off this stupid feature right away after I update. When I plug in my phone I want it to charge and quickly finish charging so I can use it. I didn’t buy a thousand dollar phone for a compromised user experience.
Sure, it’s called options. Turn it on, turn it off…you can do what suits you. Are you part of the crowd that belittles apple for not having enough options?

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Most people charge overnight. Most clean energy sources peak during the day (solar, wind, etc.) How is this going to do much of any good?
It's pure virtue signaling nonsense by Apple.

Just like making people buy chargers for iPhones is "saving the planet."

Reactions: T Coma and Boyyai

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
This ^^^

How is my phone going to know what 'kind' of energy its getting. I dont get this feature at all.
Yeah. I pay $8/month for 100% clean energy. Does it take this into account as well as looking at my location to determine if I am at an office with on site solar for example?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Although I understand what you're saying and I would agree that ideally changing to a release cycle of 18 months or more would be very advantageous (👍) we shouldn't use that as an argument not to make even these small changes. No matter how small the change, it will grow to make a difference if only everyone played their part.
Why is there virtue signaling about an extended release cycle when nobody can explain why this helps the environment to any significant degree with concrete information?

The amount of negativity about this clean energy charging option is appalling.

Reactions: Chrjy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Driving a Tesla or having a clean energy charging mode on an iPhone that is pulling electricity from coal powered plants does what now?
Well nothing if the electric supply for your Tesla is on a grid where the only option is coal powered plants. But if one has a supplier with options every bit helps I suppose.

Reactions: GuruZac

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I don’t get it. Is that an American thing that your power is generated by a different resource depending on the time of day?!
Definitely. Different sources feed into the grid as they're able to depending on sun, wind, water flow. If one of those isn't delivering, they fill it in with fossil-fuel sources that can be spun up on demand like gas powered "peaker" plants. Other sources like nuclear are, I assume, a lot more consistently available.

I don’t think that’s the case here. You get whatever source you signed the contract with here as far as I know.
From what I understand, here you can sign a contract that incentivizes your utility to buy from renewable sources -- but at the end of the day the grid is energized from a mix of sources and I don't know how much control they have over it moment to moment.

Also how would the phone KNOW.
Historical trends, I'd guess? Curious about that myself. I'd imagine it depends on where you live. If you're in the region of a lot of solar panels and it's a bright day it might prefer day charging over night.

It seems like it would be pretty hard to coordinate when you need to charge your phone with when power is being drawn from the cleanest sources. This is where something like those Tesla PowerWalls would make a lot of sense: some way to bank clean power when it's available so you can use it whenever you feel like.

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
I'm sure there are people out there that this appeals to. But this is yet *another* example of our society spending time and effort to fix non-problems while we pander to an extremely small minority.

Here's how this conversation *should* go:
"I wonder if charging my iPhone has any impact on the environment..."
"Merely *purchasing* your iPhone had a much bigger impact on the environment than charging your phone ever will. Shut up and move on."

Seriously. We have much bigger fish to fry right now, Apple.

On the flip side, maybe Apple did the humanitarian thing here and invented a position to give a job to a poor college grad with student loans.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'm sure there are people out there that this appeals to. But this is yet *another* example of our society spending time and effort to fix non-problems while we pander to an extremely small minority.

"Merely *purchasing* your iPhone had a much bigger impact on the environment than charging your phone ever will. Shut up and move on."

On the flip side, maybe Apple did the humanitarian thing here and invented a position to give a job to a poor college grad with student loans.
I think this thread is yet *another* example of people jumping to conclusions without data or understanding.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The small Minority of people who care about the various facets of the environment?
How do you reconcile trying to do good for the environment whilst manufacturing in the least harmful way?
The environment isn’t a big fish?
Maybe.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Well nothing if the electric supply for your Tesla is on a grid where the only option is coal powered plants. But if one has a supplier with options every bit helps I suppose.
I wish would invest in nuclear in the interim. The cleanest non-renewable source of energy for the time being. We are way away from being able to rely on wind and solar…see Germany as a shining example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.