Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Please explain further. I’d like to hear the rational behind this well thought out statement.
Not too hard to understand. Building and shipping an iPhone is more damaging for the environment than you charging it for 10 years in a row.

Maybe we should all stop buying iPhones if they care so much about the carbon footprint all in a sudden.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
This really feels like a dumb gimmick. I understand trying to charge an EV which consumes tens of kilowatts of energy during "optimal" times, but an iPhone charging is unnoticeable on the grid.
With over a billion purchased iPhones, this is not unnoticeable. To avoid the inevitable, it will take each and everyone of us to make a change. It's very obvious that we are destroying our planet. all these small steps taken by each and everyone of us will make a huge difference. Let's not ignore it.

Last edited:

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I don’t get it. Is that an American thing that your power is generated by a different resource depending on the time of day?!

I don’t think that’s the case here. You get whatever source you signed the contract with here as far as I know.

Also how would the phone KNOW.
So let me get this straight. You're saying that you can sign up for solar generation, but once the sun goes down your electricity goes away because that's the only source you signed up for? Or are you saying that you are served by a single power plant, and if it needs maintenance then you lose electricity for however long that maintenance takes (potentially weeks)?

Using multiple power generation sources, yes each potentially using a different method of generating that power, has been part of power grids for GENERATIONS now. And no, this is not just a thing in the US. Why do you think Germany is considering delaying/scrapping their plans to retire multiple nuclear power plants with the Ukraine war going on and Russia cutting off their natural gas supply? It's because they use multiple methods of generating electricity, despite having some of the highest adoption of renewable energy in the world.

Source: My father was plant manager for multiple power plants while I was growing up. These included coal, natural gas, and hydro power. And ALL of these power plants served a single mid-sized city in the western US.

Edit to add: Or perhaps you meant that your power grid only uses a single resource for its entire power generation. That must be one small grid. Either that or you're claiming that every single power plant in a place such as Europe all use the exact same resource for their electrical generation, since every power generation source in Europe is connected to the synchronous grid of Continental Europe.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not too hard to understand. Building and shipping an iPhone is more damaging for the environment than you charging it for 10 years in a row.

Maybe we should all stop buying iPhones if they care so much about the carbon footprint all in a sudden.
Nice strawman. We should stop buying iPhones. What about the remainder of the items including food and clothing and consumer oriented electronic devices, or is it only apple that is responsible for the environment? Maybe we should shut down hospitals also, I’m sure they are responsible for much of what you accuse apple of.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Does anyone know how it checks when cleaner energy is available? I read the press release and the footnote but it doesn't share if it checks local municipal databases, attempts to guess based on common schedules, or what. Just curious to read more.

[sarcasm mode on]
Apple has added a hidden sensor that detects if the electricity from the socket smells green, grey or dirty. :D
[sarcasm mode off]

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This is one of those things that makes perfect sense if you’ve never left California.

Even in California, the energy used by people charging their phones is probably one of the smallest uses of energy in the state.

Agree this was a waste of time to engineer. If they care this much they should just sell a solar charging kit.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I love this. I encourage everyone to utilise this feature to help save the planet. This could be the game changer the environment needs.
Who are you? I just checked out "your website" (registered 9/2/22) and "your twitter" (joined 9/2022) but everything looks suspiciously fake. Almost like you're not even real at all. Looks like someone is just building up an online persona for the future.. and for what, I really don't know. Interesting....

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Nice strawman. We should stop buying iPhones. What about the remainder of the items including food and clothing and consumer oriented electronic devices, or is it only apple that is responsible for the environment? Maybe we should shut down hospitals also, I’m sure they are responsible for much of what you accuse apple of.
If I buy a pair of jeans they don’t tell me to wash them only off peak hours. Yet.

Apple plays it that way. We should play back!! Wake up folks

Reactions: Boyyai and Huck

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Greenwashing at its new peak essentially.

Wth is the meaning of this feature? How on earth would apple figure out which part of the energy is “clean”? Not to mention those “clean” energy sources may not be built cleanly to begin with.

This must have something else to do with matter and HomeKit and whatnot. Maybe there will be “smart” solar stations down the line to let those home owners managing their power generation somehow to get lower carbon footprint. For majority of people who doesn’t get bothered with solar panels and whatnot, it is a placebo toggle at best.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If I buy a pair of jeans they don’t tell me to wash them only off peak hours. Yet.

Apple plays it that way. We should play back!! Wake up folks
Apple isn’t the only one that does peak non-peak. Power companies have smart meters and plans around peak and non-peak.

If you’re so inclined then ramp up your energy usage during off-peak hours. You’ll do the grid a favor.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
With over a billion purchased iPhones, this is not unnoticeable. To avoid the inevitable, it will take each and everyone of us to make a change. It's very obvious that we are destroying our planet. all these small steps taken by each and everyone of us will make a huge difference. Let's not ignore it.
Ahem, big offenders can easily wipe off the effort of 200 million people By doing things a little bit more in the wrong direction. If anything, changing release schedule of iPhone from 12 months to 18 months will have a far greater impact to the environment than everyone recharging their phone using renewable sources.
Would love to see a meme of a guy charging his iPhone out of a wall socket inside a coal-fired power plant, while it’s showing him “green charging” 🤣
Yeah. While we are at it, charge the iPhone in a coal mine or near a portable petrol generator. That’ll be absolutely “green energy” lmao.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is one of those things that makes perfect sense if you’ve never left California.

Even in California, the energy used by people charging their phones is probably one of the smallest uses of energy in the state.

Agree this was a waste of time to engineer. If they care this much they should just sell a solar charging kit.

• Haha
Reactions: Boyyai

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ahem, big offenders can easily wipe off the effort of 200 million people By doing things a little bit more in the wrong direction. If anything, changing release schedule of iPhone from 12 months to 18 months will have a far greater impact to the environment than everyone recharging their phone using renewable sources.
Citation or your opinion.
Yeah. While we are at it, charge the iPhone in a coal mine or near a portable petrol generator. That’ll be absolutely “green energy” lmao.

• Disagree
  • Haha
Reactions: Boyyai and lxmeta

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK

Although I understand what you're saying and I would agree that ideally changing to a release cycle of 18 months or more would be very advantageous (👍) we shouldn't use that as an argument not to make even these small changes. No matter how small the change, it will grow to make a difference if only everyone played their part.

• Haha
Reactions: Huck

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Although I understand what you're saying and I would agree that ideally changing to a release cycle of 18 months or more would be very advantageous (👍) we shouldn't use that as an argument not to make even these small changes. No matter how small the change, it will grow to make a difference if only everyone played their part.
Yes, it’s a collective effort by “everyone”, you, me, other members, and more importantly, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, real estate builders, and more. Our tiny effort of charging our phone “greenly” may never reach the critical mass it requires to even Slow down the global warming. I’m not saying we shouldn’t do anything. I’m saying those companies (and a certain country) have to play their part a lot more, faster, and harder. Unless, they want the world be destroyed and no one alive can enjoy their services and products.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Noble effort, as are electric cars. But unless you are recharging in a solar powered house or grid/building, it’s not doing anything for the environment or otherwise.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Noble effort, as are electric cars. But unless you are recharging in a solar powered house or grid/building, it’s not doing anything for the environment or otherwise.
I disagree. Not doing anything does nothing. Adding these small extras, even if they are only tiny is better than doing nothing at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.