Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
Can someone please tell me that this means? Sorry if I sound stupid but that does not make cense to me in cell phones.
Is it suppose to be like distributed computing? Or something else.
Thanks

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Can someone please tell me that this means? Sorry if I sound stupid but that does not make cense to me in cell phones.
Is it suppose to be like distributed computing? Or something else.
Thanks

I know it’s in a beta, but that doesn’t tell you everything about how it will be implemented in different areas. We will know a lot more when it’s actually released 🤷.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
China leads the world in almost all types of renewable energy, in research, in manufacturing, and in market adoption. Biggest wind farms, and solar farms are all in China.

A few days ago, China's Academy of Engineering Physics created a commercially viable grid scale implimentation of nuclear fusion reactor (artificial sun). A prototype plant was just approved by the government and will be completed in 2028. It's wildly believed to be viable because it uses a very different approach to solve the fusion problem, where energy spent sustaining the core must be lower than the energy generated by the core. It will be the world's first. After that human civilization will enter a new era.
China's achievements are stolen innovations propped up by lies. China is a joke.

Reactions: xpxp2002

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Does anyone know how it checks when cleaner energy is available? I read the press release and the footnote but it doesn't share if it checks local municipal databases, attempts to guess based on common schedules, or what. Just curious to read more.
That's what I was wondering. My electric utility has an optional variable rate program and you can choose your generation provider and whether they use renewables, but by default you just get their generation partner and pay the same rate no matter the time of day.

I'm wonder how Apple will know whether you participate in variable rates or buy from a green power generator (maybe they just ask?), and how they determine when those greener options are in use. As was pointed out, most people just charge at night. That's when solar is least effective. It will be interesting to see how they implement all this.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's what I was wondering. My electric utility has an optional variable rate program and you can choose your generation provider and whether they use renewables, but by default you just get their generation partner and pay the same rate no matter the time of day.

I'm wonder how Apple will know whether you participate in variable rates or buy from a green power generator (maybe they just ask?), and how they determine when those greener options are in use. As was pointed out, most people just charge at night. That's when solar is least effective. It will be interesting to see how they implement all this.
The grid is the grid. At any one point in time your grid may consist of a mixture of coal, nuclear, hydroelectric fossil fuel , or wind turbine regardless of your chosen provider. Apple may know what’s in the grid and pick the best time.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
This will not be a drop in a waterfall, but, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Its not. Its making a guess about where your power is coming from based on the time of day, its just delaying your charging until later... so if you plug your phone in and its an emergency to charge, and you forget about this, it may not be charged when you need it.

The exact opposite of what a mobile phone is to me... a useless brick
Yes, will you get a popup that states, "No charging due to dirty power"?

• Disagree
Reactions: bwillwall

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
is this true?

iPhone users claim Apple is trying to TRICK them into upgrading by quietly slowing charging when 'clean energy' isn't used​

If it's the Daily Mail, it's clickbait. Find a better source for your information, you won't regret it.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
You know, I was wondering how this could possibly have been worthy of the "political news" subform. Somehow, I'm not even surprised at this thread devolving by the third reply for an optional feature. But at least I know now. I mean, I do think it's a silly attempt at greenwashing as well, and Apple seems to be really leaning into that angle, but I think a couple people here could use a hobby.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.