Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Turning off this stupid feature right away after I update. When I plug in my phone I want it to charge and quickly finish charging so I can use it. I didn’t buy a thousand dollar phone for a compromised user experience.
It’s pretty gross it’s enabled by default upon updating to the 16.1 beta. Hopefully they change that before final release…

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If they wanted to make a legit environmental difference, they’d let you have an option in settings to not charge your phone past 80% since that will noticeably increase the lifespan of your battery and let you keep your device longer before a battery replacement or device upgrade.
This. On MacOS, there's even a third-party app allowing for doing this. Too bad it's in the Task list so it's very hard to just kill it when it's operating.

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Is this Apple voodoo magic? I can't think of a way this could be possible but I'm open for sensible explanations.

Reactions: djstile

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Is this Apple voodoo magic? I can't think of a way this could be possible but I'm open for sensible explanations.

Its not. Its making a guess about where your power is coming from based on the time of day, its just delaying your charging until later... so if you plug your phone in and its an emergency to charge, and you forget about this, it may not be charged when you need it.

The exact opposite of what a mobile phone is to me... a useless brick

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Turning off this stupid feature right away after I update. When I plug in my phone I want it to charge and quickly finish charging so I can use it. I didn’t buy a thousand dollar phone for a compromised user experience.

Same thing here and I also immediately disable the ‘optimized’ charging feature too. I need my phone charged FULL and as quickly as possible. I don’t need it basically pausing @ 80%.

Reactions: Boyyai and egeek84

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
People all over the country don’t get their electricity from the same generators. So How will apple know when someone say in Texas or New York is likely getting power from low carbon sources? What if the person lives in a state or country with little to no low carbon generation, what the phone won’t charge? Lol.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is greenwashing nonsense. It costs about $1 worth of electricity to charge a phone for a whole year
So 1 billion iphones being charged greener will fail to make a difference.
(Google it if you think that’s unrealistic). Besides the points already mentioned by other commenters, Apple pushes wireless charging which is not nearly as efficient as wired charging.
So what? You can still wireless charge using more green energy.
Wireless charging wastes a lot of electricity to heat. If they wanted to make a legit environmental difference, they’d let you have an option in settings to not charge your phone past 80% since that will noticeably increase the lifespan of your battery and let you keep your device longer before a battery replacement or device upgrade.
Apple already does, it’s called optimized charging.

Last edited:

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
How does it know when a cleaner option is available? Are they pulling this information from power companies?

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Let's see...X number of managers meeting Y number of hours to decide to do this (after who knows how much time and energy to come up with it) working in air conditioned offices or houses possibly traveling back and forth to work or the bedroom and spinning up the fans on their computers to Zoom with others to formalize the memos to tell Z number of programmers to work on this from air conditioned offices or homes traveling back and forth to work or the bedroom and spinning up the fans to Zoom to with others to add W number of lines of code thus increasing the CPU time required to repeatedly write/compile/write/compile to test the code to get it working and through some review process by who knows how many people working in air conditioned offices or traveling back and forth to work or the bedroom for testing on how many devices that don't charge greenly since they don't have the update yet and then more managers and memos and any number of marketing people figuring out the naming of this feature (gems like 'dynamic island') and creating glossy web pages and brochures from their air conditioned offices or bedrooms while spinning up their computer fans to Zoom back and forth in collaboration to add a feature that in the end doesn't actually save one electron of electricity because by the time this feature is available there will be who knows how many more iPhones out on the street with even larger batteries. Is nuclear power considered green? Let's take a look at how many managers and designers working in air conditioned offices it takes to plan...

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Does anyone know how it checks when cleaner energy is available? I read the press release and the footnote but it doesn't share if it checks local municipal databases, attempts to guess based on common schedules, or what. Just curious to read more.
Laying the groundwork for the next big scam, you’ll charge only if your carbon credit is allowing you to.
That’s how it’s gonna work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.