Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Maloney~888

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2018
Will this update be coming out OTA? I cannot install via iTunes because

"there are purchased items that have not been transferred" to my iTunes library​

I’ve selected devices and transfer purchase to iTunes from my iPhone but still get this message!

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Possible cause for the 237-build:

[edit] ...and why it's not needed as OTA update.

Spline

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
As usual, Apple doesn't provide specifics on its updates and the fixes it makes.
Yesterday I had installed 21E236 on my 15PM via IPSW. Does 21E237 actually have any new fixes or can I ignore it?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
As usual, Apple doesn't provide specifics on its updates and the fixes it makes.
Yesterday I had installed 21E236 on my 15PM via IPSW. Does 21E237 actually have any new fixes or can I ignore it?
Yes it will have fixes or they would not have released it. But sure you can ignore if you wish but why?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Anyone with the 17.4.1 V.2 on an A15 device can report the battery life behavior? Damn, now that I was really decided to update…

Jaxjie

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Anyone with the 17.4.1 V.2 on an A15 device can report the battery life behavior? Damn, now that I was really decided to update…
There were no changes except for resolving the update issue. There were cases where the phone 'broke' during the update to 17.4.1, and 21E237 addresses this problem. It can only be updated through IPSW. This is aimed at those who encountered issues updating in the previous version.That's all

Spocky

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
There were no changes except for resolving the update issue. There were cases where the phone 'broke' during the update to 17.4.1, and 21E237 addresses this problem. It can only be updated through IPSW. This is aimed at those who encountered issues updating in the previous version.That's all
Can I ask where Apple reported this?

Spline

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Yes it will have fixes or they would not have released it. But sure you can ignore if you wish but why?
What fixes? Source? Why is it not OTA, which is a departure from Apple's usual practice?

You ask why ignore it, well it's time consuming to DL and install through ipsw. Given the buggy state of iOS most of us have gone to a wait-and-see posture, I don't know anyone who blindly does first-day anymore unless they have other problems with their device. Hopefully more will be revealed to give us a sound footing on update choices.

Reactions: Mangelwurzel

mariuskv

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2022

Attachments

• IMG_0085.png
    IMG_0085.png
    342.6 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: phrekaru

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
My battery has been amazing on 17.4.1 but once I installed they quiet revision from finder now it’s dropping much quicker like 1% a min using it

Reactions: iLuddite and Ninflu

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My battery has been amazing on 17.4.1 but once I installed they quiet revision from finder now it’s dropping much quicker like 1% a min using it
This makes me reconsider it. Damn I’ll have to wait until 17.5 at least. I wanted to update (restoring vía IPSW) now that I have some free days.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
My internet connection was slow after updating. I did another install and a few hard restarts. I had zero issues after that and it’s been running very smoothly now. Very low battery drain overnight as well.

Reactions: Kylo83

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
Guys, iOS 17.4.1 apparently fixes the poor battery life that 17.4 had on iPhone 13, so as an owner of an A15 device, I’m seriously considering to pull the trigger and make a clean install.

Currently, I’m on 16.6.1 on all my devices. Do you think this is the best iOS 17 version so far?
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max which has A15 inside and I’ve been complaining about battery life on iOS 17 since 17.0 beta 6 I guess? And I know some people are already sick of seeing my name but well... I'm just sharing MY experience with iOS 17 🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s just bad and I’m getting half of the battery life (SOT) I used to get on iOS 16. I have started from scratch two times. The second time was on 17.3 and that didn’t make any difference so I restored my backup every time. I only lost time doing that.

Today, it’s 3pm and I’m down to 35% with 4h SOT which means I’ll probably be able to hit amazing 6h SOT, from a full charge of course.

This phone used to have the best battery life and now it’s the same or sometimes even worse than my old iPhone X and 12 Pro used to have with worse battery health. And keep in mind it has way more efficient processor and has a lot bigger battery.

I used to be a huge fan of apple products but I’m getting sick of this phone, it’s big, it’s HEAVY and has pathetic battery life. It’s unacceptable for me that it won’t last me till 10-11pm with the same usage I had on previous iOS versions especially considering the fact I used to go to sleep with 40-50% battery left on iOS 15 and 16.
I never believed those conspiracy theories that apple slows down or make battery life worse with every update but after iOS 17 I’m starting to believe them - because that happened to me. I wanted to upgrade to iPhone 16 Pro but right now I’m considering to try some android phones. And even if I get 16 Pro, I’m not updating that phone past iOS 18.

It’s your decision if you want to update to iOS 17. I would only for security updates, but at the same time if I had a chance to downgrade to iOS 15 or 16, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Also - not sure if it’s AppStore problem or iOS 17.4.1 but after the update some apps don’t want to update at the first try. It stops, let’s say, at around 90% and does nothing. I have to pause the update and start again.

Attachments

• IMG_8993.png
    IMG_8993.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max which has A15 inside and I’ve been complaining about battery life on iOS 17 since 17.0 beta 6 I guess? And I know some people are already sick of seeing my name but well... I'm just sharing MY experience with iOS 17 🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s just bad and I’m getting half of the battery life (SOT) I used to get on iOS 16. I have started from scratch two times. The second time was on 17.3 and that didn’t make any difference so I restored my backup every time. I only lost time doing that.

Today, it’s 3pm and I’m down to 35% with 4h SOT which means I’ll probably be able to hit amazing 6h SOT, from a full charge of course.

This phone used to have the best battery life and now it’s the same or sometimes even worse than my old iPhone X and 12 Pro used to have with worse battery health. And keep in mind it has way more efficient processor and has a lot bigger battery.

I used to be a huge fan of apple products but I’m getting sick of this phone, it’s big, it’s HEAVY and has pathetic battery life. It’s unacceptable for me that it won’t last me till 10-11pm with the same usage I had on previous iOS versions especially considering the fact I used to go to sleep with 40-50% battery left on iOS 15 and 16.
I never believed those conspiracy theories that apple slows down or make battery life worse with every update but after iOS 17 I’m starting to believe them - because that happened to me. I wanted to upgrade to iPhone 16 Pro but right now I’m considering to try some android phones. And even if I get 16 Pro, I’m not updating that phone past iOS 18.

It’s your decision if you want to update to iOS 17. I would only for security updates, but at the same time if I had a chance to downgrade to iOS 15 or 16, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Also - not sure if it’s AppStore problem or iOS 17.4.1 but after the update some apps don’t want to update at the first try. It stops, let’s say, at around 90% and does nothing. I have to pause the update and start again.
Well, I am sorry that you have such disappointing experience, but you know..its battery, its not new, its under daily usage...you see where I am going with this? ....its going to degrade. And based on what you wrote...you have the phone with iOS 15 and iOS 16 and you are now using it with iOS 17 which is halfway through its lifetime. Yes, processor is more efficient, but software is getting more complex and power hungry no matter what they do, so just be true to yourself before you run to any other android device, as there are tradeoffs to be made. Not saying android phones are garbage like they used to be in the past (yeah some still are, but thats not the point).

Not to say, you have sign up for a beta program, which isn't as polished as the GM release so maybe try step out from the beta train for a while, review your app usage, notification frequency for updates, Location service...there are many battery saving tips... at the end, you can change your battery and will be happy for quite some time. It's certainly less expensive then any new phone.

And last but not least, for couple months already I have literally nothing to complain about, its been for me mostly unicorns and rainbows...OK, I have new phone, but I am on a beta program since 2012 and can say, that my experience with beta software remains pretty much consistent...btw, I would bet my money the phone was big and HEAVY from the day one you bought it.
So consider if battery and dimensions is really what is bothering you..just food for thought.
Peace brother ☮️✌️

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
Well, I am sorry that you have such disappointing experience, but you know..its battery, its not new, its under daily usage...you see where I am going with this? ....its going to degrade. And based on what you wrote...you have the phone with iOS 15 and iOS 16 and you are now using it with iOS 17 which is halfway through its lifetime. Yes, processor is more efficient, but software is getting more complex and power hungry no matter what they do, so just be true to yourself before you run to any other android device, as there are tradeoffs to be made. Not saying android phones are garbage like they used to be in the past (yeah some still are, but thats not the point).
Battery degradation is not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is that I magically lost half of the battery life I used to have on iOS 15 and 16 by just upgrading to iOS 17.0 beta 6 or 7 I don't remember at this point. It was sudden. It was just one update and boom. I patiently waited for 17.0 RC, then for all the 3rd party apps to be updated (even though I knew that won't help) and guess what? That didn't help. And we're at 17.4 and it still the same.

Also, even if my battery was at 80% health (it's not), I shouldn't have such a major decrease in battery life. 1-2 hours is understandable, but not 6 and not after one iOS update.

Not to say, you have sign up for a beta program, which isn't as polished as the GM release so maybe try step out from the beta train for a while, review your app usage, notification frequency for updates, Location service...there are many battery saving tips... at the end, you can change your battery and will be happy for quite some time. It's certainly less expensive then any new phone.

I'm not on beta since 17.3. Well actually the only "beta" I installed lately was 17.4 RC.

And last but not least, for couple months already I have literally nothing to complain about, its been for me mostly unicorns and rainbows...OK, I have new phone, but I am on a beta program since 2012 and can say, that my experience with beta software remains pretty much consistent...btw, I would bet my money the phone was big and HEAVY from the day one you bought it.
So consider if battery and dimensions is really what is bothering you..just food for thought.
Peace brother ☮️✌️
Of course it was big and heavy from the day one. But I don't like to bring a powerbank with me, that's why I decided to buy a Pro Max iPhone.
What I'm trying to say is that with iOS 17 this phone is big, heavy AND has the battery life of an iPhone 13 mini.

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
Battery degradation is not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is that I magically lost half of the battery life I used to have on iOS 15 and 16 by just upgrading to iOS 17.0 beta 6 or 7 I don't remember at this point. It was sudden. It was just one update and boom. I patiently waited for 17.0 RC, then for all the 3rd party apps to be updated (even though I knew that won't help) and guess what? That didn't help. And we're at 17.4 and it still the same.

Also, even if my battery was at 80% health (it's not), I shouldn't have such a major decrease in battery life. 1-2 hours is understandable, but not 6 and not after one iOS update.

I'm not on beta since 17.3. Well actually the only "beta" I installed lately was 17.4 RC.

Of course it was big and heavy from the day one. But I don't like to bring a powerbank with me, that's why I decided to buy a Pro Max iPhone.
What I'm trying to say is that with iOS 17 this phone is big, heavy AND has the battery life of an iPhone 13 mini.
Have you tried battery calibration?
It's possible that your battery meter is out of whack and could be one of those cases where you might be using your device for hours while it's at 1%.

• Charge to 100% + 1hr
  • Use your phone as normal but enable Low Power when it's at 1%
  • Disable Cellular and avoid using any resource heavy apps at this point
  • Let it drain till it shuts off. Leave it for maybe half hour.
  • Charge it back to 100% + 1-2hrs using a 5W charger if you can
  • Don't touch the phone if possible during the entire process.
  • Repeat the process again if needed.
Please post the results after the calibration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.