Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Can't you just switch your iMessage email when you go to Settings -> Messages -> receive imessage at?

LoboKendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
NY
Moar and Moar!

Keep em coming. Glad to see so many people are coming aboard!

stern25

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I got an issue with my imessage when i enter ONLY the email of someone i want to imessage in the contact app and then i go to my message app and press the + button to add somoeone and chose the contact that only have an EMAIL address to send message it said can't send message because there no phone number can anyone help me with that?

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
so you all are just messaging random people?

now if you dont have an ipad and you use someone's email, wjhere does it go?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
so you can imessage to a gmail, me.com, phone number?
You can iMessage to any phone number or email address registered to an Apple ID.

----------

so you all are just messaging random people?

now if you dont have an ipad and you use someone's email, wjhere does it go?
It only goes to an iMessage client, aka your iDevice. It doesn't matter what email you use. It won't go to that email's inbox unless somebody creepy decides to send an email instead of an iMessage.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
You can iMessage to any phone number or email address registered to an Apple ID.

hmmm.. interesting.. and all u gotta do is type it in the to box? not to be dumb but if i type an email and they dont have a ipad.. it goes to phone?
if i turn off imessage on my pad, and someine uses my emal it goes??
----------

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I'm sure most people are using their dupe email accounts to post here since they will be spammed in a matter of hours. You can add as many emails as you want to iMessage so just bust out that Yahoo account you use to sign into forums, add it to iMessage, and anybody can iMessage you without ever knowing your primary email address.

Last edited:

redout

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Dublin
I'm sure most people are using their dupe email accounts to post here since they will be spammed in a matter of hours. You can add as many emails as you want to iMessage so just bust out that Yahoo account you use to sign into forums, add it to iMessage, and anybody can iMessage you without ever knowing your primary email address.

So I can add 2 different apple ID and both will be active simultaneously?

redout

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Dublin
i think this is correct, although i'm receiving errors validating the second account.

Edit: tried with another account (gmail) and it's gone through.
i'm changing from my .me to gmail.

Code:
 evan_@me . com

message any time, specifically something useful instead of the "test" i keep getting :)

What is the significance of adding an @me account to iCloud?

The only thing holding me back is that I am not sure what will happen as regards iCloud no longer being associated with my current apple ID (hotmail)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.