Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
What is the significance of adding an @me account to iCloud?

The only thing holding me back is that I am not sure what will happen as regards iCloud no longer being associated with my current apple ID (hotmail)

i already had a mobileme account, so i figured i'd keep it simple ;)

i was stuck at first because, i have seperate accounts for the iTunes Store and icloud/MobileMe. I setup the phone using the mobileme/icloud email, and just went into the app store's preference and swapped the emails over.

worked a charm

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
I noticed you can add any email you want, tried it though and never got the verification email

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
My wife and I both updated to iOS 5 and turned on imessage. I added her to my contacts, and it successfully populates the imessage address field with her address, but when i type "test" in the message box, the send button stays grey, doesn't turn blue.

Is it because she hasn't gotten her verification via email completed yet?

mhayumi

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

can i ask a silly question.... hmm well im just curious , what if you want to sens a person an sms instead of an imessage...??? but everytime u try and send a message it automatically change to imessage ????

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

can i ask a silly question.... hmm well im just curious , what if you want to sens a person an sms instead of an imessage...??? but everytime u try and send a message it automatically change to imessage ????

Go to settings, messages, and then turn off iMessage

mhayumi

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011

oic thanks (",)

mhayumi

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011

errrr... someone mentioned earlier that we can add up as many emails as we want for imessage we dont have to use the primary one, if I will remove my primary email that i used for imesaage that will mean that they will have to add me again ryt??? sorry for asking these silly questions im still exploring this thing :p

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
What is the significance of adding an @me account to iCloud?

The only thing holding me back is that I am not sure what will happen as regards iCloud no longer being associated with my current apple ID (hotmail)

Do it, I tried it earlier today without issue. It adds the @me.com address, as an alternate, to your AppleID. By default your existing email will still be your primary AppleID address, but if you wish you can swap them around using https://appleid.apple.com

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Do it, I tried it earlier today without issue. It adds the @me.com address, as an alternate, to your AppleID. By default your existing email will still be your primary AppleID address, but if you wish you can swap them around using https://appleid.apple.com

I tried to swap them around--using my me.com address as my primary Apple ID--at the address you posted. It wouldn't let me. It gave me this message, "You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID," and in red color!

So does this mean I could use my me.com address instead of my previous email address to log into my iTunes account, Apple online store, Apple support, etc?

LoboKendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
NY
Keeping Us Alive.

7k+ views and counting!

Let's keep the train rolling here guys. You guys rock. So many people. And I enjoy the people from different parts of the world sending pictures of areas/places they live. That was awesome. Keep em coming!

My info is still in my Sig.

mricyfire

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I am not sure why everyone wants to be contacted by a bunch of people they don't know...might as well post your phone numbers.

Honestly what is the point of this?

LoboKendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
NY
I am not sure why everyone wants to be contacted by a bunch of people they don't know...might as well post your phone numbers.

1. Posting a phone number would induce international phone/data charges on the off chance that a Message goes out as a text, rather than an iMessage. The iMessage Email contact feature does not.

2. If you've read any of my posts on here, its for the mere sake of being able to do so. Simply for the gratification that 'We Can.' (Also meeting people across the world is cool too.)

3. You don't like/get it? You're not obligated to partake. Although you're input may be negative and non-motivating, it still is appreciated :)

Good Day Sir!

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)

I am one of them who likes to get to know new people and learn about their culture and lifestyle.

I know there is always chat/forums to do that. But iMessage is the new thing IN and id like to use it. As a benefit, i have made numerous new friends from different parts of the world thanks to this thread!

Cheerz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.