Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

BlazingGold

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2014
I really have to wonder....how in the world does an update like iOS 8 followed by several updates following it manage to be released by a MASSIVE company like Apple and have so many VERY obvious issues? Why are these updates released with all of these issues? If they did not know of them prior to releasing.....how is that? I would think these things are tested extensively and intensely before releasing and factoring in "what will consumers not like?" Incredible considering Apple usually pays attention to details

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
That aint gonna change. All the iPad stutter on the keyboard is due to translucent blurring effect used. Want to solve it? Get an Air 2. Its amazing. Hah

There was plenty of translucent effects on iPad Air running iOS 7.1.2. Yes the main addition is the giant (and utterly pointless) blurred background on Spotlight, but other than that there's very little else. Keyboard in Spotlight always had blur, the dock had blur, Notification Centre, Control Centre, etc.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I installed 8.1.1 on a 4s and it feels.... exactly the same. Maybe in a later version? Or it could be a mistake. No performance improvements here.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I really have to wonder....how in the world does an update like iOS 8 followed by several updates following it manage to be released by a MASSIVE company like Apple and have so many VERY obvious issues? Why are these updates released with all of these issues?

It's more profitable to get the product out the door, no matter what. Apple's created the perfect environment for themselves. Buggy software is overlooked because people
think so highly of Apple and will put up with bugs while Apple works to push out even more unfinished work. Conditioned to this the public doesnt care. They know sooner or later Apple will get around to fixing it.

Plus in the meantime people have it to show off. A high profule vantage ty product always sells, buyers will only speak highly in order to carry on the traditiin. It's the Apple way

Just give Apple time to sort it Out

dalbng

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I installed 8.1.1 on a 4s and it feels.... exactly the same. Maybe in a later version? Or it could be a mistake. No performance improvements here.

That's weird. I installed 8.1.1 on my iPhone 4S an hour ago and I can say it's A LOT snappier than 8.1. I don't have scientific data about app loading times, but animations and scrolling smoothness are both VASTLY improved, and they rarely lag now. For example, scrolling through a long list of mails in Mail or through the feed in Twitter used to lag badly, now it just flows nicely. I even went as far as keeping 'Reduce Motion' disabled since the animations work so much better now.

I hope it's not like that only on my device...

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
That's weird. I installed 8.1.1 an hour ago and I can say it's A LOT snappier than 8.1. I don't have scientific data about app loading times, but animations and scrolling smoothness are both VASTLY improved, and they rarely lag now. For example, scrolling through a long list of mails in Mail or through the feed in Twitter used to lag badly, now it just flows nicely. I even went as far as keeping 'Reduce Motion' disabled since the animations work so much better now.

What device? Assuming 4s?

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
That's weird. I installed 8.1.1 on my iPhone 4S an hour ago and I can say it's A LOT snappier than 8.1. I don't have scientific data about app loading times, but animations and scrolling smoothness are both VASTLY improved, and they rarely lag now. For example, scrolling through a long list of mails in Mail or through the feed in Twitter used to lag badly, now it just flows nicely. I even went as far as keeping 'Reduce Motion' disabled since the animations work so much better now.

Yea app loading time is already not slow on ios 8.1. What needed to be fixed is the stuttering animation that occurs time to time, like when scrolling or closing app to go to home screen. I saw a video on youtube comparing 8.1.1 and 8.1 on 4s and they said the performance is pretty much the same, but i saw clearly that closing app animation is smoother on 8.1.1. Not completely fixed but better than 8.1.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I really have to wonder....how in the world does an update like iOS 8 followed by several updates following it manage to be released by a MASSIVE company like Apple and have so many VERY obvious issues? Why are these updates released with all of these issues? If they did not know of them prior to releasing.....how is that? I would think these things are tested extensively and intensely before releasing and factoring in "what will consumers not like?" Incredible considering Apple usually pays attention to details

Apple has choices it has to make:

1. Announce the iphone 6 AFTER iOS 8 is polished and ready (which could result in a very late release of the iphone 6 and drive impatient customers to other devices).

2. Release the iPhone 6 with iOS 7 until iOS 8 is ready (which makes no sense to consumers as a NEW phone should have NEW features).

3. Fix as many critical issues that you can with iOS 8 in time to release it alongside the iphone 6 and patch things shortly after.

It's no mystery that Apple went with #3 as do most software companies.

deadlines drive releases not "readiness".

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I'd be interested in knowing if the "Safari PDF search bug" in iOS 8 is fixed in this release:

1. View a PDF in Safari (e.g. go to a website with a PDF and view it, or directly open the URL of a PDF)
2. Search the contents of the PDF by tapping in the location/search bar in Safari and typing a word that appears in the PDF
3. Does it return any results under the "In This Document" area?

In Safari on iOS 7 this used to correctly search the PDF being viewed in the tab, functioning the same as an in-page website text search, but in iOS 8 this functionality is broken and always returns no results.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
I'd be interested in knowing if the "Safari PDF search bug" in iOS 8 is fixed in this release:

1. View a PDF in Safari (e.g. go to a website with a PDF and view it, or directly open the URL of a PDF)
2. Search the contents of the PDF by tapping in the location/search bar in Safari and typing a word that appears in the PDF
3. Does it return any results under the "In This Document" area?

In Safari on iOS 7 this used to correctly search the PDF being viewed in the tab, functioning the same as an in-page website text search, but in iOS 8 this functionality is broken and always returns no results.

Still broken.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

That's what I wanted, but the animations still stuttered for me.

Here is a video about it on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic15BcQiE1w

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
It's more profitable to get the product out the door, no matter what. Apple's created the perfect environment for themselves. Buggy software is overlooked because people
think so highly of Apple and will put up with bugs while Apple works to push out even more unfinished work. Conditioned to this the public doesnt care. They know sooner or later Apple will get around to fixing it.

Plus in the meantime people have it to show off. A high profule vantage ty product always sells, buyers will only speak highly in order to carry on the traditiin. It's the Apple way

Just give Apple time to sort it Out

Or maybe not everyone experiences the same bugs? You're implying that people keep buying buggy and "unfinished" Apple products because of Apple's reputation. Have you considered that most people aren't experiencing these bugs? Only on a place like MacRumors will you find people that are tolerant regarding bugs in Apple products. The general public isn't going to give Apple the benefit of the doubt when simple things like Wi-Fi stop working. Apple products are successful because the majority of people that buy Apple products have good experiences with them. Simple as that.

And please, stop peddling the old and tired "people love showing off Apple products" line. Why is it so hard to believe that people simply buy what they like to use? I have yet to meet a single person that buys Apple products for the looks. I know tons of people that have Apple products along with Windows computers that use Google services between their devices (or Android devices and Microsoft services... you get the point). People that buy Apple products just for the status exist, but do you think they're the majority of Apple's customers? Again, you're taking the attitudes you see on this site and extrapolating them over Apple's entire customer base. The reality is that the majority of Apple customers don't care enough to post about Apple products online.

Sure, if more and more of these inexplicable bugs pop up over time, it will have an effect on Apple's sales. I'm also not trying to excuse these bugs; they need to be fixed regardless of how many people they affect. But I suspect you're intentionally oversimplifying the entire situation to fit your narrative.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
That aint gonna change. All the iPad stutter on the keyboard is due to translucent blurring effect used. Want to solve it? Get an Air 2. Its amazing. Hah

I agree. Haven't noticed any stutter on my air 2 but I do feel ashamed of myself for falling for apple's scheme to get people to buy new iPads. I will not put iOS 9 on my iPad air 2 when the time comes.

----------

This! A thousand times this! Are the wifi drops and hangs fixed?

It seems to be fixed for me using 8.1 but it cost me 188.99 for a AirPort Extreme today. Wifi on my air 2 is stable and maintaining a 866 Mb/s connection to the extreme according to the airport utility. Tried a net gear r6250 and it was dropping connectin while trying to restore my iPad air 2 from my iCloud backup.

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
To those running 8.1.1 on a 6 plus, Please give any information on if you are still seeing Jetsam events in your diagnostics logs.

Thank you.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
To those running 8.1.1 on a 6 plus, Please give any information on if you are still seeing Jetsam events in your diagnostics logs.

Thank you.

Also do advise us if the animation lags and stutters are still there

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Not much love for third-party keyboards unfortunately. Still the same glitches with scrolling, changing keyboards spontaneously in Messages, and various other little glitches.

Seem to be improved for me. No matter where I am in a convo, touching the text field to bring up the keyboard scrolls to the bottom now (was a bug in 8.1).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.