Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The notifications drop-down is the single most annoying part of using an iPhone. Trying to get to a folder in the top row and suddenly boom! I’m opening twitter instead with the pop up that just showed up just in time.
This is incredibly frustrating to me as well. In general, I don’t like visual alerts while I’m using my phone (I prefer vibrate alerts which lets me check notification center when I’m done with my current task). I even went so far as to keep my phone in Do Not Disturb all the time and just receive alerts on my Apple Watch. That doesn’t actually work out very well since you don’t get alerts on the watch while you’re using your phone, but if you could, that would be ideal for me. At the very least, to avoid the accidental press problem, I wish Apple would not let drop-down/banner notifications be tappable until one second after it appears (though it should continue to be clearable immediately).

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I'm also expecting actual mouse support.
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind 'psuedo' mouse support in ios 13.
It's obviously not a technical hurdle?
[automerge]1576138104[/automerge]
- handwriting recognition input
even fairly evolved versions of handwriting recognition are not useful.

Mainly I think we need more robust apps.
professional apps require keyboard cmnd's and mouse support. So, Apple is halfway there. Trying
Luma Fusion I was struck how much i hate gesture cmnds on a complex app. Clip Studio
leading the way for 'real' app implementation. I think files app is ok, but dev's have to use it
more directly like Sketchbook and ArtStudio

Last edited:

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind 'psuedo' mouse support in ios 13.
It's obviously not a technical hurdle?
That's easy: Apple wants to position the iPad as a device between a smartphone and a notebook. If they'd include proper mouse support, suddenly the iPad experience gets muddled and skewed towards a notebook experience. Plus, every app on iPad is expecting touch input - with a mouse pointer, you as a user are expecting things like mouse-over and right click. These are features that are not and will not ever be supported by apps that are expecting touch only input.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
Count me in for also wanting real mouse support. The Magic Mouse 2 and Trackpad should both work pretty much as they do on macOS, with gestures, automatic connecting, and the like. Right now it feels like a beta. I’m happy to have it, but hope they go all the way with it. I’d really love it if they came out with a Smart Keyboard with an integrated trackpad. I use the Magic Mouse at my desk, but that would be infinitely useful on the go.

I’d also really, really like the missing iOS apps to finally make their way over to the iPad. Specifically: Phone app (hopefully with some clever iCloud integrated voicemail access), Weather, (severe weather alerts and a radar view would also be great additions), Health and Activity (shouldn’t be too hard since that data is already synced and stored in iCloud anyway, and it’s always bothered me I can’t view my health data on my iPad), Wallet (now that Apple Card is out I think that’d be extra helpful for transaction history and such), and Calculator (whyyyyy this still isn’t on the iPad is beyond me!)

There are things that aren’t iPadOS specific that I’d like to see as well. I’d like it for alarms and timers to go off on all of a user’s devices, not just the device they’re set on. I’d like it if all nearby devices showed up in Now Playing so you can control what’s playing on your iPhone from your iPad (would be helpful for when you’re listening to airpods).

So yeah, my wishlist isn’t anything drastic, just a bunch of little things that would make it nicer and easier for my daily use.

you can download storm radar on the App Store and it gives you notifications of weather as well as radar views. It follows your location and is very accurate.

Pe0ter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Eindhoven
I would like to see iPhone apps that force the iPad screen to portrait mode to be caught in a proper sized ‘window’ on my ipad-pro desktop so I do not have to turn my ipad anymore

Reactions: salz4life and w4rm

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Automatic hotspot and persistent hotspot.

Oh wait... It's already in iOS 13 / iPadOS 13... except it doesn't actually work, even in 13.3.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That's easy: Apple wants to position the iPad as a device between a smartphone and a notebook. If they'd include proper mouse support, suddenly the iPad experience gets muddled and skewed towards a notebook experience. Plus, every app on iPad is expecting touch input - with a mouse pointer, you as a user are expecting things like mouse-over and right click. These are features that are not and will not ever be supported by apps that are expecting touch only input.

An unlikely theory. Apple is all about user experiences. Integration of a crappy user experience is not helping them and damaging their brand.

It’s more likely that they caved in in the very last minute before throwing the beta out and had someone implement a few mouse functions. Until I can change the scrolling direction easily mouse is not even worth considering for me.

Pe0ter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Eindhoven
Bring the ‘select-all’ option back when selecting text or images, the new ios13 solution ‘tap on space between words’ only works while editing text but not when copying text from i.g. Websites

Reactions: rui no onna

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Definitely an Apple enforced, universal Picture-In-Picture that works ALL THE TIME... no matter what website, no matter what video/ media or app.

Right now it works half of the time and sometimes it works with YouTube site via Safari and most often not.

Reactions: secretk

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
An unlikely theory. Apple is all about user experiences. Integration of a crappy user experience is not helping them and damaging their brand.
Would make sense in its current state if mouse support was planned to be more than an accessibility option. But as it stands now, it is only that. And Apple wonˋt change that anytime soon.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Would make sense in its current state if mouse support was planned to be more than an accessibility option. But as it stands now, it is only that. And Apple wonˋt change that anytime soon.

True it will be at least WWDC to announce any new features for further down the road.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Definitely multi-user support. Fast switching between user profiles,
I'd really like to see multi user support. I know Apple would prefer each member of the family buy their own iPad, but that's not always practical.

Yes!! Multi-user support and fast-user-switching! This is probably the last thing keeping me from going in on an iPad.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Lasso select items. I mean be able to with a circle or freefrom motion chose items. Particularly useful in keynote but I guess also in Photos and Files where selection is slow or involve many pointing operations. Better two finger cursor function: use two finger cursor to move to a text to be selected, add a third finger and drag until selection is done.

Make more powerful/function rich apps - it is not a big iPhone anymore :)

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
#3: Is there anything where the current 4 GB RAM (6 GB on 1 TB models, I know) hamstring you?

I have written article about this (little older article, I know)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I have written article about this (little older article, I know)

I have read it now. But I think there's nothing right now where you actually can't do stuff on the newest iPad Pros or even lose your progress because of too little RAM. Am I right?

Reactions: iRaynor SK

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Being able to see how large folders are. as of now even when you look up info of a folder it says nowhere how large it is.

Reactions: w4rm

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
I'm also expecting actual mouse support.
I see posts like this throughout these forums.

Aside from the pointer being a stupid circle, I really haven’t felt limited by the mouse on iPadOS. When you say “actual“ mouse support, can you give me some examples?

I can left click, right click, scroll, double click and triple click for text selection, copy, paste. Sure it‘s not EXACTLY the same as MacOS experience, but it’s not that far off to me. But I’d like to hear where it falls short in your opinion.
[automerge]1579128020[/automerge]
Count me in for also wanting real mouse support. The Magic Mouse 2 and Trackpad should both work pretty much as they do on macOS, with gestures, automatic connecting, and the like. Right now it feels like a beta. I’m happy to have it, but hope they go all the way with it. I’d really love it if they came out with a Smart Keyboard with an integrated trackpad. I use the Magic Mouse at my desk, but that would be infinitely useful on the go.

I’d also really, really like the missing iOS apps to finally make their way over to the iPad. Specifically: Phone app (hopefully with some clever iCloud integrated voicemail access), Weather, (severe weather alerts and a radar view would also be great additions), Health and Activity (shouldn’t be too hard since that data is already synced and stored in iCloud anyway, and it’s always bothered me I can’t view my health data on my iPad), Wallet (now that Apple Card is out I think that’d be extra helpful for transaction history and such), and Calculator (whyyyyy this still isn’t on the iPad is beyond me!)

There are things that aren’t iPadOS specific that I’d like to see as well. I’d like it for alarms and timers to go off on all of a user’s devices, not just the device they’re set on. I’d like it if all nearby devices showed up in Now Playing so you can control what’s playing on your iPhone from your iPad (would be helpful for when you’re listening to airpods).

So yeah, my wishlist isn’t anything drastic, just a bunch of little things that would make it nicer and easier for my daily use.
Seriously, why is weather and calculator not on ipads.....why. So stupid.

Reactions: boston04and07

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I see posts like this throughout these forums.

Aside from the pointer being a stupid circle, I really haven’t felt limited by the mouse on iPadOS. When you say “actual“ mouse support, can you give me some examples?

I can left click, right click, scroll, double click and triple click for text selection, copy, paste. Sure it‘s not EXACTLY the same as MacOS experience, but it’s not that far off to me. But I’d like to hear where it falls short in your opinion.
[automerge]1579128020[/automerge]

Seriously, why is weather and calculator not on ipads.....why. So stupid.

Mouse - I'd like to be able to change the pointer and the inverted scroll direction. I like to be able to click and drag to select a range of text. I'd like automatic detection of a connected mouse.

Reactions: Jedimindtrick

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017

You can *kinda* have automatic detection of connected mouse if you turn on the Assistive Touch toggle in your control center. It works great for me with a Logitech Anywhere MX 2S

Reactions: sparksd

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Better App support for Picture-in-Picture mode (YouTube especially).
Not sure what you mean here. Picture-in-Picture I believe is on an app by app basis. YouTube wants your money, so they let you watch, but you have to pay for PNP.
Integration of a crappy user experience is not helping them and damaging their brand.
It‘s not a crappy user experience for folks that need it for accessibility, which is what it’s meant for. If you’ve lost the motor skills or ability to touch a screen, mouse support allows you to use the device.

It’s not meant to bring desktop mouse usability to the iPad, and it’s not likely to ever be that.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
-real mouse support and the ability to change the mouse pointer graphic
-floating windows
-ability to run OS X apps
-ability to run bootcamp (triple boot IOS/OS X/Windows 10)

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.