Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Aside from the pointer being a stupid circle, I really haven’t felt limited by the mouse on iPadOS. When you say “actual“ mouse support, can you give me some examples?

For me, this means full support for the Magic Mouse 2 and the Magic Trackpad 2. Not being able to scroll with gestures just feels wrong. I’m sure others have their own wishlists though. But I agree that other than that, mouse support as it is is pretty good so far. (For me at least).

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not sure what you mean here. Picture-in-Picture I believe is on an app by app basis. YouTube wants your money, so they let you watch, but you have to pay for PNP.

It‘s not a crappy user experience for folks that need it for accessibility, which is what it’s meant for. If you’ve lost the motor skills or ability to touch a screen, mouse support allows you to use the device.

It’s not meant to bring desktop mouse usability to the iPad, and it’s not likely to ever be that.

My point was that more mouse options would not ruin the iPad experience as experience is what Apple like to focus on. I know it’s currently an accessibility feature and what it’s meant for.
Nobody can say for sure if this gets further expanded or not. Given that iPadOS device easily outsold Macs for years I think we all know which platform they’ll work on first.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Given that iPadOS device easily outsold Macs for years I think we all know which platform they’ll work on first.
Yes, and for almost ALL of that time, it sold that well without more robust mouse support. :) You’re right, it’s just my opinion, but I don’t think they ever intend for iPadOS to be a place where people who prefer mouse to touch to feel completely comfortable.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
That is a lot, sure, but in this context, I think revenue would be more pertinent.
Sure, revenue is relevant as well, but that also points to the iPad. That large number of iPad customers likely factors into a big chunk of of the services revenue, far more so than macOS (more customers, more subscriptions).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Sure, revenue is relevant as well, but that also points to the iPad. That large number of iPad customers likely factors into a big chunk of of the services revenue, far more so than macOS (more customers, more subscriptions).
I think revenue is what’s ultimately relevant here. I was curious just about direct revenue figures, but I agree it’s also about associated services. But I’m curious to know the actual numbers regarding that.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think revenue is what’s ultimately relevant here. I was curious just about direct revenue figures, but I agree it’s also about associated services. But I’m curious to know the actual numbers regarding that.

See this -

Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
See this -

Thanks for that.
It looks like the revenue for macs and ipads have been pretty similar for awhile now, with services revenue growing as big as both combined. But obviously, this data doesn’t show which devices lead to more services revenue. That would be more complicated data to show, since people own multiple devices. I’d assume ipads are the bigger contributors, having significantly more numbers of devices out there, but by how much is anyone’s guess.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for that.
It looks like the revenue for macs and ipads have been pretty similar for awhile now, with services revenue growing as big as both combined. But obviously, this data doesn’t show which devices lead to more services revenue. That would be more complicated data to show, since people own multiple devices. I’d assume ipads are the bigger contributors, having significantly more numbers of devices out there, but by how much is anyone’s guess.

My guess is that the iPhone side swamps both out wrt leading to services revenue.

Reactions: subjonas

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
File app:

- „open with“ via long press on files and then able to select an app of choice.

- File extensions (i.e.: .pdf, .mp4, etc) visible at all times option. I‘m not sure if this can be done already via settings? But I haven‘t found it.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
- Shutting iPad down and Restarting options integrated in the swipe-down buttons (where the brightness and volume sliders are). So we don't have to hold 2 physical buttons to do so. And there's no restarting option at the moment.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
App expose needs to be fixed: it’s way too unreliable now. Half of the time it doesn’t work when you swipe up from bottom or do the pinch hand gesture, really annoying.

Also the iOS keyboard auto correction needs to get way better.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Screen Time as a separate app.
Easy movie playback of multiple formats so I don’t have to convert everything to mp4 or resort to 3rd party apps
E2E mail encryption, viz Proton
[automerge]1580094706[/automerge]
And...
A Smart Cover

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Not sure what you mean here. Picture-in-Picture I believe is on an app by app basis. YouTube wants your money, so they let you watch, but you have to pay for PNP.
I only recently realized that Free YouTube PiP works through the website on Safari.

- Play video on Youtube.com
- Click Fullscreen Icon (Bottom right on video)
- Click PiP icon (Upper Left)

I lose a few app functions but now I have YouTube running PiP over anything I work on just like a “real” computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I want a generic folder locally on the iPad, accessible from the Files app, where I can move things and the be able to access them from any app. Heck, DropBox is doing better at this than the native Files ap. But I don’t want to pay for more DropBox space and would rather use the storage I already paid for locally on my iPad.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I want a generic folder locally on the iPad, accessible from the Files app, where I can move things and the be able to access them from any app. Heck, DropBox is doing better at this than the native Files ap. But I don’t want to pay for more DropBox space and would rather use the storage I already paid for locally on my iPad.
What are you trying to do? I produce music using the NOISE app, then I can open GarageBand, go into the NOISE app’s folder and pull the loops from there. My only limitation that I’ve noticed is whether or not the app in question expects or utilizes the media type that you’re trying to consume.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
For example very big PSD files in Affinity Photo may be challenging for its 4 GB of RAM.
Challenging, yes. But it does work, even if the iPad has to page out some things. I think a normal user should not even know the difference between RAM and a pagefile...

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
What are you trying to do? I produce music using the NOISE app, then I can open GarageBand, go into the NOISE app’s folder and pull the loops from there. My only limitation that I’ve noticed is whether or not the app in question expects or utilizes the media type that you’re trying to consume.

The only folders in Files that exist belong to the apps that created them. I want to be able to create a generic one called anything I like and use it, not have to mispurpose one created for another app.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Have you considered a 3rd party file manager app like FileBrowser or FileExplorer? I use FileBrowser for Business and like it, it can now access attached external storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.