Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Have you considered a 3rd party file manager app like FileBrowser or FileExplorer? I use FileBrowser for Business and like it, it can now access attached external storage.

Didn’t know about those - thanks, I’ll give FileBrowser a try.

Reactions: iRaynor SK

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
a way of preventing a iOS device being powered off without entering a passcode first
Yes! This would make stealing iDevices even more difficult!
EDIT: With Touch ID and Face ID it won't even be a problem for the existing user base - and if someone absolutely won't want this, there should be a setting for that in Code & Security. So simple, really.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would like to see wired tethering/hotspot support just like you can do with a Mac.
Afaik, this has been available ever since Apple added tethering.

At the very least, I know iOS 5 has USB tethering. I remember that because I got annoyed with my work desktop tethering to my iPhone when all I want is to charge my phone.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Afaik, this has been available ever since Apple added tethering.

At the very least, I know iOS 5 has USB tethering. I remember that because I got annoyed with my work desktop tethering to my iPhone when all I want is to charge my phone.

I think you might have misunderstood. I meant wired tethering iPhone with iPad not Mac.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think you might have misunderstood. I meant wired tethering iPhone with iPad not Mac.
Got it. Thought you meant USB tethering on LTE iPads (which does work).

Was curious to see what would happen. Looks like the framework might be there but there's a problem with DHCP.

0DE70675-270A-4A93-9D2D-4374ED0F8B6D.png CC7F1CB6-D601-480D-AF55-9CED233036F4.png

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Would tethering be quite a bit more battery efficient than wifi hotspot? If so, I would also find that useful.

it would be better for the iPhone since the iPad will charging it when using wired tethering. But it would be worse for the iPad since it’s draining the battery charging the iPhone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
it would be better for the iPhone since the iPad will charging it when using wired tethering. But it would be worse for the iPad since it’s draining the battery charging the iPhone.
I've still got an iPhone 7 so between the two, the iPad has more power to spare which actually makes this scenario ideal. :p

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
one down, two to go
Now that there is official mouse support, I could see them adding extended desktop in a near-future update. It will probably look like the current implementation (mirroring and presentation mode for some apps) but add the ability to place whole apps onto the second screen, probably with an additional split screen option.

I’m also wondering if they’re going to make touch screen external monitors for iPads, maybe with pencil support. I know there are currently some pen monitors with touch input, but I imagine they won’t work with the iPad unless they are designed for each other.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I want a generic folder locally on the iPad, accessible from the Files app, where I can move things and the be able to access them from any app. Heck, DropBox is doing better at this than the native Files ap. But I don’t want to pay for more DropBox space and would rather use the storage I already paid for locally on my iPad.
Old-ish thread but what are you asking for here exactly? There is already an ‘On my iPad‘ option in Files app. You can add folders to that, name them what you like, and put anything into them...? It’s been around almost since the inception of the Files app. I use it all the time on my ipad and my iphone. Am I missing something that you’re asking for?

Reactions: Ferc Kast

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I still want multiple user accounts.
I’m guessing part of the reason this hasn’t happened is Apple wants the iPad to be a much more personal device than a Mac. Like underwear or a toothbrush, no sharing. But the iPad is changing so who knows.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple’s refusal to do this has been effective in extracting money from our family. We have four family members, and have four iPads. Damn you Apple! ?
Lol, I don't think we can ever go back to sharing iPads. :p

I'd still like support for multiple profiles for personal and work, though. Also, a guest profile.

Reactions: pdoherty

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, you can choose scrolling direction now. Thank the gods.

I tried my magic mouse 2 with it today after using my MX Master. I noticed that scroll direction toggle also seems to effect the swipe gestures, at least on the magic mouse. So swiping forward and back on the magic mouse in Safari was also inversed.

Not sure if that is a bug or intentional, definetely have to turn it off for me though on those types of devices as swapping the left/right swiping direction was a horrible experience ?

Will probably stick to my MX Master for now for the additional buttons.

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
I would love to be able to adjust the size of the split windows even further as it seems that there are 2-3 preset sizes like 1/3 + 2/3 or 1/2 + 1/2 for the screen but according to the apps and the needs that i have on that moment, i would love to be able to adjust even further the division and may be a button/gesture to lock it to avoid readjusting/messing the division while working on the files by accidently touching the division area.

The same for the floating multitasking window/split window. It only has a preset size, i would love to be able to set the size of that floating window as well.

I would also like it if they add the split view to the portrait mode as well splitting it horizontally.

Also sometimes when I want to go on split window, i am not able to find the app that i want to add to the view on the dock in multi tasking view. So i have to reopen it again and do it because may be since the last time i opened it, i had opened other apps as well so there was no space left in the dock for that app. I would like if they could add some kind of swipe future to the dock as we swipe thru several home screen pages, so this way i could find the app easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.