Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
There is a very simple answer to the question about the specs- grow sales on the basis of heightened expectations.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
David Sparks (MacSparky) may be on to something: he thinks Apple has no intention of making the iPad any more like a laptop than it already is. This is their plan, not a miss (in their eyes). Sparks has adjusted his expectations (and use of his iPad) accordingly. I think there is something to this.

Does make you wonder, though, why they endowed it with hardware befitting a powerful laptop.
Yeah, I recall listening to that episode.

But in that same token… his kids (teenagers, I believe) use the iPad as a laptop. It’s always a case by case scenerio… some people can get by using the iPad as a laptop, while some require the use of an laptop.

calmelb

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2016
iPadOS 15 is a bit of an eye sore at the moment. I am so glad I did not buy both the 11“ and the 12.9” models.
As far as I am concerned, Apple is massively dropping the ball on this one. Especially with the powerful new hardware in the new iPads (ie not utilising it one bit)
Something else I read was that they don’t want to make something super crazy limited to the iPad Pros only, so it might be a next year thing once the other iPads get given a bit of a spec bump. Probably isn’t true and that their restrictions to keeping it a tablet are more likely but its something to think about

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah, I recall listening to that episode.

But in that same token… his kids (teenagers, I believe) use the iPad as a laptop. It’s always a case by case scenerio… some people can get by using the iPad as a laptop, while some require the use of an laptop.

Really, it comes down to how you use it as a laptop. If it’s light e-mail, Office-type use, you’re fine. If it’s heavy file access, manipulation of data, etc, it’s a much harder slog. That was his point. He could do it, but it was painful.

SteamedHams

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
Finland
Photo import from SD card randomly fails. It gets stuck loading the contents of the card. Photos app and Lightroom are affected. Reboot usually fixes it.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
if i install the public beta, will Sidecar still work on my Macs (one with Big Sur, the other with Catalina)?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Although it’s minor, but I noticed the text size on iPadOS 15 beta 3 text size of the address bar in Safari is smaller…

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm anxiously awaiting for beta 4 already, I like the new Safari search implementation... but I'm curious as to what plans Apple have for the unified web address/tab bar.

I listen to influencers from Federico, Gruber... ATP crew, Upgrade.. they all have an overwhelming distaste of the new design. It's like... the thought to combine a web address/tab bar should never exist. They all want it to go back to the previous design.

They rolled back changes for Safari in macOS Monterey and it's inevitable when changes will be made in iPadOS 15. Never have I seen a huge design change get reverted back due to criticism from those using it... However, I have a feeling the new Safari (address bar located on bottom) for iOS 15 will remain the same.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Is there some quick way to get to all open tabs in a window now, instead of tapping the LEFT icon, and then tapping again the four box, to get to all open tabs? Used to be easy, upper tap on the two nested squares, now more than 2 steps more?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I’m excited to invoke notes from a corner. How can one CHANGE The corner to left instead of right side, for people who are quite used to swiping up to app drawer from bottom right, and dont’ want a note each time?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m excited to invoke notes from a corner. How can one CHANGE The corner to left instead of right side, for people who are quite used to swiping up to app drawer from bottom right, and dont’ want a note each time?

Presently, this is not possible. Right lower corner gives you QuickNotes. Left lower corner gives you screenshots.

calmelb

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2016
Is there some quick way to get to all open tabs in a window now, instead of tapping the LEFT icon, and then tapping again the four box, to get to all open tabs? Used to be easy, upper tap on the two nested squares, now more than 2 steps more?
Pinch out with your fingers or the trackpad

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Seems that loose all your safari window and tabs but, feature is back with iOS 15. Lost about 350 tabs in a window, wasn’t presented with the usual “open all closed tabs” option. Oh well. Frankly, the safari implementation is really lacking.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
It is no different than the iPhone version...locked and sorted by Apple based on app description/grouping set up by the developer.
As expected. Zero openness, zero desire to do some extra work versus doing the minimum.

Apple is getting way too lazy. I would understand it if they did updates all year long but they literally have one big update a year.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
As expected. Zero openness, zero desire to do some extra work versus doing the minimum.

Apple is getting way too lazy. I would understand it if they did updates all year long but they literally have one big update a year.

there’s always Android if you want openness? Apple’s MO hasn’t changed in many many years. why would it change now?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

I have no problem with the App Library… it gives me an option to look up apps alphabetically (via list) too.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Apple gives you the ability to NOT use app library and arrange your icons in or out of folders in any position on the screen as you see fit. I can see where someone might want the option to turn app library off so you don't accidentally swipe left that one extra time, but big deal, you can still create your own "app library" and have been able to for years.

I prefer the app library as I like to have one screen with my few widgets and apps I access all day. Then I can swip left to get to the library for access to apps I don't use as often. And I like their curated configuration as well...but you have a choice.

Reactions: Ansath

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
I don't mean that. I mean that ios/ipados changes with baby steps- those of a 3-6m old.

I just don't find using my ipad as exciting as I once did. I wanted to build a screen full of widgets and dragging one across results in an endless attempt to get the damn thing to go in the top left hand corner without changing the order of the rest.

The above is just one of many issues I have with the software. The lack of variety and configurability of widgets is another.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
there’s always Android if you want openness? Apple’s MO hasn’t changed in many many years. why would it change now?
Which is why my daily driver is a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. The only reason I still have my iPhone 12 Pro is my Apple Watch Series 6.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Which is why my daily driver is a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. The only reason I still have my iPhone 12 Pro is my Apple Watch Series 6.
I’m curious.

If an Apple Watch is the only reason you own a iPhone, why go with the 12 Pro? An iPhone SE could help in providing a solution unless you value the 12 Pro camera over the S21 Ultra.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
I’m curious.

If an Apple Watch is the only reason you own a iPhone, why go with the 12 Pro? An iPhone SE could help in providing a solution unless you value the 12 Pro camera over the S21 Ultra.
I first got the 12 Pro when it came out on a contract. I actually like the size, which makes it a good backup for when I want something more pocketable.

The S21 Ultra just stomps all over my iPhone- high refresh rate, battery life, ldac, screen quality etc etc.

It is not perfect but I do enjoy using it more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.