Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I encountered the first really useful example of an app clip today. I went to a restaurant and a suggestion for a Yelp app clip came up. Tapped on it and it pulled up the whole menu

D3FBD363-3460-4920-8445-68C139B290D9.png

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I encountered the first really useful example of an app clip today. I went to a restaurant and a suggestion for a Yelp app clip came up. Tapped on it and it pulled up the whole menu

View attachment 1835796

This is the future of mobile computing, I think: context aware suggestions for functionality. However, I think Apple has made at least 3 mistakes rolling this out:

1. They rolled it out during the pandemic, when use would be lower. It then fell into the bucket of “forgotten functionality” (like LiveListen or TapBack/Screen Effects, or Assistive Touch/Backtap). Sure, some people use these features but they are forgotten for most

2. They probably have not educated potential employers of this functionality in any kind of meaningful way. Restaurants could have deployed the same thing Yelp did, for example, instead of having QR code menus. And it would have appeared on people’s phones automatically. I’d venture to say there’s a good 30-40% of the population that still does not know how to scan a QR code.

3. They’ve focused on “cool” things, like short term bike rentals, when its really the everyday stuff (like restaurant menus or Starbucks ordering, etc…) that would really add value to most users.

Hopefully this somewhat not-great rollout does not set back the idea of contextual use-based, as opposed to app-based, computing.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This is the future of mobile computing, I think: context aware suggestions for functionality. However, I think Apple has made at least 3 mistakes rolling this out:

1. They rolled it out during the pandemic, when use would be lower. It then fell into the bucket of “forgotten functionality” (like LiveListen or TapBack/Screen Effects, or Assistive Touch/Backtap). Sure, some people use these features but they are forgotten for most

2. They probably have not educated potential employers of this functionality in any kind of meaningful way. Restaurants could have deployed the same thing Yelp did, for example, instead of having QR code menus. And it would have appeared on people’s phones automatically. I’d venture to say there’s a good 30-40% of the population that still does not know how to scan a QR code.

3. They’ve focused on “cool” things, like short term bike rentals, when its really the everyday stuff (like restaurant menus or Starbucks ordering, etc…) that would really add value to most users.

Hopefully this somewhat not-great rollout does not set back the idea of contextual use-based, as opposed to app-based, computing.
Agree with all of this. Hopefully now that people are getting more comfortable going out to do things it’ll start to take off. I’m going to a Yankees game on Wednesday. It would be cool if they had an app clip that showed a map of the ballpark that showed vendors, bathrooms; exits, etc.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Agree with all of this. Hopefully now that people are getting more comfortable going out to do things it’ll start to take off. I’m going to a Yankees game on Wednesday. It would be cool if they had an app clip that showed a map of the ballpark that showed vendors, bathrooms; exits, etc.

Not sure if they do, but if they don’t, get the BallPark app from MLB, which has much of this info (for the same reason).

One reason app developers may be hesitating on app clips is that it puts us one step closer to app-less phones (where the app functionality is there but “headless”). That would remove opportunities for retailers to cross market other products than the one you are thinking of at the moment as you flip through their apps to order something.

Of course, I thought that major food retailers, like Starbucks, would never adopt the Siri Suggestion model. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. I frequently get a Siri suggestion to order my favorites from Starbucks. That is an awesome experience, too.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Not sure if they do, but if they don’t, get the BallPark app from MLB, which has much of this info (for the same reason).

One reason app developers may be hesitating on app clips is that it puts us one step closer to app-less phones (where the app functionality is there but “headless”). That would remove opportunities for retailers to cross market other products than the one you are thinking of at the moment as you flip through their apps to order something.

Of course, I thought that major food retailers, like Starbucks, would never adopt the Siri Suggestion model. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. I frequently get a Siri suggestion to order my favorites from Starbucks. That is an awesome experience, too.
Oh yeah I know about that app, it’s just one of those apps that you only use a few times a year unless you have season tickets. I think that’s just an example where an app clip makes more sense.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Is it still possible to have the widgets as a slide out from the left of the home screen like iPadOS 13/14? I.e. Keep widgets exactly how they were before?
The funny thing is that having got iPadOS 15 I'm wanting to do the opposite: I've no widgets on that widget screen, but if I accidentally scroll to the left it pops up all pointless and empty. So I'd like a way of turning it off, but if there is one they've done a good job of making it less than obvious.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
on an 11” iPP 2020 apparently on can run 2 videos with sound at the same time, e.g. youtube video in Safari splitview with FileBrowser playing another video. the active window plays the sound louder and you can simply touch to hear one or the other louder.

EDIT: apparently you can play up to three audio sources at the same time. latest started is loudest. indicates changes to multitasking in iPadOS 15.

Last edited:

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
I’m glad Apple added a “Remove from Playlist” button to track menus in playlists. They made it more complicated with iOS 14 by having to edit the playlist to remove tracks.

Smici

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2019
Hi,
my iPad drops the connection from the iPhone hot-spot after os15 update on both of them.

I tried restart, delete all network settings. Wifi on the ipad works just fine, and my 2nd phone (android) works just fine with my iphone’s hotspot.
I filled a feedback to apple about this, but that will take some time..
I tried to connect via bluetooth first, select every possible combination under the wifi settings but I can’t find any solution.

iphone x and pro12.9 3rd gen
Do you guys have any suggestion?
I’m the only one how suffering with this?

I have a lot of work to do on my ipad so a full reset is not an option right now..
Thnaks! :(

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Anyone else having a problem playing downloaded movies in Apple TV app (for movies that were downloaded before updating to iPadOS 15)?

- After updating to iPadOS 15, the downloaded movies show a black screen, with the audio playing.
- In settings, it shows that the Apple TV app only takes up around 2 gigabytes, even though I have around 50 gigabytes of movies downloaded. As I download more movies, the space taken up by Apple TV remains unchanged.

Anyone else seeing this in 15.0?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm an Apple fan and have generally thought all the updates have been great however, I do not like the Ipad version of 15. Even with returning to as much as the old Safari as possible I still don't like the new version. Also, don't like App library icon on the right of the bottom screen icons and the lack of ability to get rid of it. Probably, to me, the worst looking update since the beginning. I know a lot of people will say so but again I've liked all the other products / updates.

Reactions: Chrissybear

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Something I just noticed is that when editing text, the little magnifying glass has returned! It’s oblong this time, which makes more sense. It makes moving the cursor a lot easier.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Something I just noticed is that when editing text, the little magnifying glass has returned! It’s oblong this time, which makes more sense. It makes moving the cursor a lot easier.

That’s interesting! The magnifying glass reappeared in the first beta of iOS 15, but as the traditional circle. I just tried it and got the oblong. That does make it easier!

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
Man, I wish I could have the icon to app library on my iPhone.
Why? I really like widgets and would use so much more, but then the way to app library is too long.

Hristo Velev

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2021
Sofia, Bulgaria
I'm an Apple fan and have generally thought all the updates have been great however, I do not like the Ipad version of 15. Even with returning to as much as the old Safari as possible I still don't like the new version. Also, don't like App library icon on the right of the bottom screen icons and the lack of ability to get rid of it. Probably, to me, the worst looking update since the beginning. I know a lot of people will say so but again I've liked all the other products / updates.

You can hide the App Library icon in the Settings.

IMG_5615.jpg

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I hate the new format with the widgets included with the other apps. I wish there was a way to go back to the old layout. The new one is really really bad and looks terrible.

Reactions: Chrissybear

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015

View attachment 1835796
I just had the same experience! I was at a restaurant last night, and on the bill was a QR code to pay with my phone. I scanned the code, and it was an app clip for the Toast app. I do not have a membership to Toast, nor do I have the full app, but the app clip allowed me to pay (and already knew to use my default card in my Wallet) without creating an account.

I just hadn't seen any app clips in the wild before then. Perhaps they're there but in circumstances I'm not likely to come across them. The demo examples of renting a scooter, say, or paying for parking just aren't things I did before.

Reactions: MozMan68

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
People with iPad Pro from 2018, are you seeing issues with iPadOS 15?

I have the opportunity to jump from the 2018 to the current M1 iPad Pro paying circa $250 and I’m not sure it is a good investment, as the 2018 is already pretty fast and powerful and I don’t need the extra power. However, I do want the system to go smooth, and I am not sure that’s the case with iPadOS 15… What’s your experience?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
People with iPad Pro from 2018, are you seeing issues with iPadOS 15?

I have the opportunity to jump from the 2018 to the current M1 iPad Pro paying circa $250 and I’m not sure it is a good investment, as the 2018 is already pretty fast and powerful and I don’t need the extra power. However, I do want the system to go smooth, and I am not sure that’s the case with iPadOS 15… What’s your experience?

11” IPP 2018 here: absolutely no issues or concerns. Runs flawlessly.

Reactions: Populus

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Good. I’ll hold onto it for a little longer, and will be returning the M1.
Thank you!

The 2018 model was (and is) an extraordinary device. 3 years + in and it shows no signs of being taxed at all. My only regret is that I got a 64GB model, which I would never ever do again. At least 256 and more likely 512 GB

Reactions: Populus

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Short term bike rentals are becoming more popular in quite a lot of countries. So, I wouldn't discount that as just being 'cool'. Finding a bike share dock is important. If it's not in Apple Maps, they'll use Google Maps instead.

You may not use bike share, but others do....

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Short term bike rentals are becoming more popular in quite a lot of countries. So, I wouldn't discount that as just being 'cool'. Finding a bike share dock is important. If it's not in Apple Maps, they'll use Google Maps instead.

You may not use bike share, but others do....
The number of bike share users is minuscule compared to the number of people who eat in restaurants. Let's be real here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.