Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
As expected. Zero openness, zero desire to do some extra work versus doing the minimum.

Apple is getting way too lazy. I would understand it if they did updates all year long but they literally have one big update a year.

Why exactly is this lazy? The developers pick the category for their apps. All Apple does is sort based on the developers choices.

Reactions: Ansath

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Because entrusting people with managing the content and how it is displayed on their devices would require more programming work.

Apple has literally been getting along with the absolute bear minimum. I like my 11" and 12.9" ipads but the level to which both are handicapped by software is a pain.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Because entrusting people with managing the content and how it is displayed on their devices would require more programming work.

Apple has literally been getting along with the absolute bear minimum. I like my 11" and 12.9" ipads but the level to which both are handicapped by software is a pain.

Do you want it to cook and clean your house also? You know it’s not a bad thing for people to use their brains once in awhile. We all risk becoming like the humans in the movie Wall-e. That’s why I like shortcuts: it forces me to think rather than simply blithely consuming content on my device.

In addition, Apple does not have limitless resources, despite how it would appear from their earnings calls. There are only so many developers/programmers/coders available and Apple is locked in a tremendous battle with Google and Facebook for their services. They have to pick their battles, development-wise, and trying to fine tune a list of apps is probably not up there.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Do you want it to cook and clean your house also? You know it’s not a bad thing for people to use their brains once in awhile. We all risk becoming like the humans in the movie Wall-e. That’s why I like shortcuts: it forces me to think rather than simply blithely consuming content on my device.

In addition, Apple does not have limitless resources, despite how it would appear from their earnings calls. There are only so many developers/programmers/coders available and Apple is locked in a tremendous battle with Google and Facebook for their services. They have to pick their battles, development-wise, and trying to fine tune a list of apps is probably not up there.

Is he just ignoring my point that he can still set up and organize folders any way he wants??

Reactions: gwhizkids

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Speaking of App Library, how about some love for the animation between the main screen and the app library where the dock icon expands out when swiping left to the library and then back in when you swipe back to the main screen??

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Speaking of App Library, how about some love for the animation between the main screen and the app library where the dock icon expands out when swiping left to the library and then back in when you swipe back to the main screen??
I have no qualms with App Library... I didn't have a problem when it was introduced on the iPhone, but I'm glad they waited to implement it on the iPad.

With the time Apple had, the iPad benefitted from a different App Library, I use it daily... didn't think nothing of it when Apple mentioned in the keynote. We all knew Apple was going to bring it to the iPad with all the leaks and rumors surrounding iPadOS 15, but its one of my favorite feature of iPadOS 15.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I only got back into iPad earlier this year with my iPad 12 Pro…and just realized iPad doesn’t have the Wallet app. Hah!

I get that I won’t be carrying my iPad into a store to pay my bill, but I wouldn’t mind the ability to manage my accounts in a better format than the settings app.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I only got back into iPad earlier this year with my iPad 12 Pro…and just realized iPad doesn’t have the Wallet app. Hah!

I get that I won’t be carrying my iPad into a store to pay my bill, but I wouldn’t mind the ability to manage my accounts in a better format than the settings app.
I carry around my 12.9” iPP quite a bit… but I think a wallet app will be as elusive as the calculator app for the iPad.

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I carry around my 12.9” iPP quite a bit… but I think a wallet app will be as elusive as the calculator app for the iPad.
Ugh...I use the calculator on my phone all day for work and would LOVE one on iPad as it sits right next to my laptop and would be perfect for that.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
The audio on my iPad Pro M1 suddenly doesn’t seem to work. I can connect my AirPods and it’s fine but from the actual speakers, nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: MozMan68

SteamedHams

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
Finland
The audio on my iPad Pro M1 suddenly doesn’t seem to work. I can connect my AirPods and it’s fine but from the actual speakers, nothing.

I had the same issue. It sorted itself out when I switched a couple of times between Airpods Pro, Airpods Max and iPad’s internal speakers.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Is he just ignoring my point that he can still set up and organize folders any way he wants??
I am ignoring your post because I don't want to get into arguments with fanboys.

Someone making a statement you disagree with is no reason to shamelessly attack them for expressing their opinion.

I love my iPad Pro 12.9&11 as far as hardware goes but hate how limiting their software is.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I am ignoring your post because I don't want to get into arguments with fanboys.

Someone making a statement you disagree with is no reason to shamelessly attack them for expressing their opinion.

I love my iPad Pro 12.9&11 as far as hardware goes but hate how limiting their software is.
Fanboy? I’m not arguing an opinion, I’m stating a fact about what Apple offers.

It is a fact that Apple let’s you (and has let you for years) create your own “App Library” by creating your own folders.

If you are saying you want Apple to do 90% of the work let’s say by creating App Library and THEN letting you alter it so you don’t have to create your own folders in the first place, I would say that is ridiculous. You simply didn’t clarify exactly what you want them to do and why, but the App Library conversation like this happened a year ago when they launched it on iPhone.

Either create your own folders or use App Library...you have both options.

The only thing I think Apple could do for people like you that do not like like their curated format is to allow you to turn it off so it is not even a swipe away on your home page, but personally, I can’t imagine that is a huge issue for most users.

Reactions: Ludatyk

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Fanboy? I’m not arguing an opinion, I’m stating a fact about what Apple offers.

It is a fact that Apple let’s you (and has let you for years) create your own “App Library” by creating your own folders.

If you are saying you want Apple to do 90% of the work let’s say by creating App Library and THEN letting you alter it so you don’t have to create your own folders in the first place, I would say that is ridiculous. You simply didn’t clarify exactly what you want them to do and why, but the App Library conversation like this happened a year ago when they launched it on iPhone.

Either create your own folders or use App Library...you have both options.

The only thing I think Apple could do for people like you that do not like like their curated format is to allow you to turn it off so it is not even a swipe away on your home page, but personally, I can’t imagine that is a huge issue for most users.
I dunno. I like the way the App Library looks, with 3 bigger and a group of smaller icons, which you tap on to expand the folder, or 4 big icons if there are only 4 apps in the App Library folder. But when we create folders, they have only small icons. I‘d like either an option to modify the folders in the App Library or an option to have similar icon displays in personally created folders. Or better still, multiple properly customisable app launchers which can find all your installed apps, unlike the app launchers on the market which can only find certain apps. Shortcuts is seriously tricky for building customisable app launchers. The App Library, if customisable, could do this job easily.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I dunno. I like the way the App Library looks, with 3 bigger and a group of smaller icons, which you tap on to expand the folder, or 4 big icons if there are only 4 apps in the App Library folder. But when we create folders, they have only small icons. I‘d like either an option to modify the folders in the App Library or an option to have similar icon displays in personally created folders. Or better still, multiple properly customisable app launchers which can find all your installed apps, unlike the app launchers on the market which can only find certain apps. Shortcuts is seriously tricky for building customisable app launchers. The App Library, if customisable, could do this job easily.
That's what I like about it as well, but that is all programmed into Apple's logic and is hands off.

To ask them to allow folders with different sized icons would be nice, but it just seems like such a stretch and pretty complicated.

Now...if they did the large app thing automatically with the existing folders that users currently create, that would be a cool next step.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's what I like about it as well, but that is all programmed into Apple's logic and is hands off.
I agree, I like how smooth and animated it is. My only change I would like would be to give us an option to sort folders. For example… if I do a lot of Photo & Video editing, allow me to put that first. Perhaps, I do quite a bit of information & Reading… well, I want that up top.

They should keep how it’s all set up… just give users the ability to sort folders.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
OMG I am crazy excited about the one feature I found. My wife sent me a message with a POSTIT with a number written on it, and she asked me to text the number back so she could just tap it later. Tapped on the pic and then saw the list with the number with options to call and copy etc. From a pic of a hand written number!!!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I wonder what are the thoughts of the option to choose compact or separate for Safari? I think compact is much more efficient for web browsing.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
Do you think we could use Health app or at least use it through Shortcuts with a iPadOS 15 or another one ?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One thing I noticed is that iOS 15 seems to be smarter about being on the right WiFi network.

In my office there are two WiFi networks of about equal strength (special office WiFi and general campus WiFi), but I prefer to be on the office one. Before iOS 15 it'd be fairly random which one I'd be on, but now with 15, after manually choosing the one I want to be on a couple of times, it seems to have "learned" which one I prefer and it's always on the correct one.

When I leave the office area my phone properly switches to the general campus WiFi, then switches to the office one when I return.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know it's an unusual situation but I'm wondering if I've just been lucky or if this is a real change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.