Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your launch day iPhone 15 Pro Max already charge with optimized battery charging pattern?

• Yes

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 73 76.0%

• Total voters

crimedog73

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Just to update everyone, mine is still working. Has worked for the last three nights straight now. I hope everyone else’s starts working soon. If mine did after two months then there’s hope.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
It's been 3 weeks since I bought my 15 Pro Max and to this day it hasn't activated optimized charging. Funny that, after WatchOS 10, my Apple Watch also stopped charging optimized. I always said that Apple could give us the option to choose a time to set up this optimized charging, just as some Android devices allow us to do.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
It's been 3 weeks since I bought my 15 Pro Max and to this day it hasn't activated optimized charging. Funny that, after WatchOS 10, my Apple Watch also stopped charging optimized. I always said that Apple could give us the option to choose a time to set up this optimized charging, just as some Android devices allow us to do.
I took 4 weeks to the day to kick in for my 15 Pro and more for my watch (7) to start working again after WatchOS 10

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Once it kicks in and starts working, does it continue to work if one turns off Significant Locations?

On my iPhone 13 Pro Max, I didn't have this option enabled and still enabled Optimized Charging. It also happened on the iPhone 14 Pro Max. I don't know if they've changed anything on iOS, but so far, it hasn't activated O.C. on my 15 Pro Max.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Why must this function need "significant locations" turned on to work? I see no purpose except Apple wants to collect more information on the user!

Reactions: Fantasigraphic

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Why must this function need "significant locations" turned on to work? I see no purpose except Apple wants to collect more information on the user!
I believe it is because, in this option, the device knows where your home or work is, making it easier for it to know that, when you are at home, the device charges optimally. But, as I'm already tired of saying, Apple could well add an option in which the user determines the time that optimized charging begins and the time that optimized charging ends, just like on some Android's.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I believe it is because, in this option, the device knows where your home or work is, making it easier for it to know that, when you are at home, the device charges optimally. But, as I'm already tired of saying, Apple could well add an option in which the user determines the time that optimized charging begins and the time that optimized charging ends, just like on some Android's.

You are likely right, so if I decide to sleep at the lake house, optimized charging will not work. Brilliant!

I still do not see why Apple gives you this optimization on the condition of knowing exactly where you are, it should not make any difference.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I'm happy to say that OBC kicked in tonight . I was afraid it would stop working after updating to WatchOS 10.2 and I'd have to wait weeks or months again like for WatchOS 10 .

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
All of you who have Optimized Charging working, do you have Significant Locations enabled?

Can you tell me if, by activating Significant Locations, there is a higher battery consumption due to even more access to GPS?

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
My biggest fear is to drain my battery with Significant Location enabled, since it constantly accesses the location because of this option. Strange is that, on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and 14 Pro Max, It activated Optmized Charging without these options being enabled. Anyway, I've activated the necessary options and I'll see if it activates Optimized Charging tonight.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
My biggest fear is to drain my battery with Significant Location enabled, since it constantly accesses the location because of this option. Strange is that, on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and 14 Pro Max, It activated Optmized Charging without these options being enabled. Anyway, I've activated the necessary options and I'll see if it activates Optimized Charging tonight.
You won’t notice a difference. It’s not as constant as you think. It’s a minimum of 15min with a significant change

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I have had my 15 pro max since launch day and my overall battery health is down to 98% after 3 months of use. This is really strange since my previous 14 pro max didn’t drop battery health until like 7 months in. I have apple care on my phone so I am not worried too much. But this is the first time I had an iPhone where the battery health dropped this fast.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris

I was wondering about something , does Optimized Battery Limit need Significant Locations also ?​

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Hello, I have my 15 PM since 19 January and the optimized battery option which was on by default is not working as it charges every night straight to 100%. I have "significant locations" turned on as per instructions from Apple but it still does not seem to work? I am thinking of turning on "charge to 80%" as my battery is robust and lasts the whole day anyway and then try it again. It worked fine most of the time on my 13 PM.

Any advice and how is it working/not working for you all?

WinSoft

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2024
Hello, I have my 15 PM since 19 January and the optimized battery option which was on by default is not working as it charges every night straight to 100%. I have "significant locations" turned on as per instructions from Apple but it still does not seem to work? I am thinking of turning on "charge to 80%" as my battery is robust and lasts the whole day anyway and then try it again. It worked fine most of the time on my 13 PM.

Any advice and how is it working/not working for you all?
Have you tried resetting the phone back to factory settings and starting again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.