Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your launch day iPhone 15 Pro Max already charge with optimized battery charging pattern?

• Yes

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 73 76.0%

• Total voters

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Yeah looks like Standby is constantly ON

Try this instead (if you want)
In Settings > Standby > Display
And if Automatically is checked turn OFF Motion To Wake.

That was it only lights up if you touch the phone instead of coming on when you move.
This is so far the best setting for me. The only thing is doesn't turn off automatically ,I have to press the right side button to turn it off. I'll try with 20 seconds to see how that works .

Reactions: Fantasigraphic

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Here’s what Apple says about it;

* Optimized Battery Charging needs at least 14 days to learn your charging habits, so it won't engage before then. Also, your iPhone needs to experience at least 9 charges of 5 hours or more in a given location for Optimized Battery Charging to engage.
Published Date: September 21, 2023

If Optimized Battery Charging doesn't activate​

Follow these steps:

• Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services and turn on Location Services.
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and turn on System Customization.
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations and turn on Significant Locations.

Lmd700

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2022
Any reason why optimized charging would stop working? Was working for a week now it just charges straight to 100? Hav not changed any charging habits, use apple magsafe,

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Any reason why optimized charging would stop working? Was working for a week now it just charges straight to 100? Hav not changed any charging habits, use apple magsafe,
This isn’t anything new and I don’t think anyone knows why except for Apple. I’ve never been able to find a reason lol

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Thank you for the information!
Sorry wasn’t more informative. I want to say in past I turned Optimized Charging switch OFF and reboot phone, then turned it back ON and started back a few days later. Not 100% on that, but worth a try

KKSigs

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Same has happened to me as well? Except I do straight plug in.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Same here...started working a few weeks ago, then last week mysteriously stopped. I also charge using MagSafe.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I believe that with every update the whole proces starts again from scratch. This could be the reason why optimised charging takes this long to kick in. Because the new iPhone 15 series was followed by a few updates.

Mine bought on the first day it was up for selling, started optimised charging last night. However I had it switched to 80% 3 days ago. Then switched to 100% again last night. Because I vaguely remembered that the battery level also had to be below a certain level, besides the conditions mentioned above, I used the 80% method to make my battery go faster to a lower level.

Can anyone confirm this? ( or did it all come to me in an apple iPhone dream)

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
I believe that with every update the whole proces starts again from scratch. This could be the reason why optimised charging takes this long to kick in. Because the new iPhone 15 series was followed by a few updates.

Mine bought on the first day it was up for selling, started optimised charging last night. However I had it switched to 80% 3 days ago. Then switched to 100% again last night. Because I vaguely remembered that the battery level also had to be below a certain level, besides the conditions mentioned above, I used the 80% method to make my battery go faster to a lower level.

Can anyone confirm this? ( or did it all come to me in an apple iPhone dream)
You know the OC stop charging after a software update makes sense actually.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I have my 15 PM set to stop charging at 80% and it works fine.

My question is why my 15 PM feels slightly warm in the morning when I unplug it from the charger? Most mornings it is stone cold when I unplug in the morning but I have noticed that it is warm to the touch occasionally. It charges the phone to 80% when I first plug it in so hours later when I unplug it why should it be warm? I close all apps before putting it on the charger so . . . . .

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I have my 15 PM set to stop charging at 80% and it works fine.

My question is why my 15 PM feels slightly warm in the morning when I unplug it from the charger? Most mornings it is stone cold when I unplug in the morning but I have noticed that it is warm to the touch occasionally. It charges the phone to 80% when I first plug it in so hours later when I unplug it why should it be warm? I close all apps before putting it on the charger so . . . . .
At the moment you use the Optimised Charge feature your phone will do the 'final bit' just before you usually start using it. These final bit's are also the ones that take more effort in order to get all them electrons inside the battery and to keep 'em there. All the electrons that are already in your battery are charged negative. And as a result they try to get as far away from each other as they can. And when you put in ever more, these 'hotheads' start to compete for the 'best places'.
And because this all happens just before you wake up and unplug your phone, it may feel slightly hotter.

When the battery is empty the electrons have a lot of space and will produce far less heat. Which by the way will also be a result of the charging proces itself. But also at an empty battery this process will cost less energy and thus produce less heat.

But when you can bake a pancake on your phone it has become too hot.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
At the moment you use the Optimised Charge feature your phone will do the 'final bit' just before you usually start using it. These final bit's are also the ones that take more effort in order to get all them electrons inside the battery and to keep 'em there. All the electrons that are already in your battery are charged negative. And as a result they try to get as far away from each other as they can. And when you put in ever more, these 'hotheads' start to compete for the 'best places'.
And because this all happens just before you wake up and unplug your phone, it may feel slightly hotter.

When the battery is empty the electrons have a lot of space and will produce far less heat. Which by the way will also be a result of the charging proces itself. But also at an empty battery this process will cost less energy and thus produce less heat.

But when you can bake a pancake on your phone it has become too hot.

When I look at the battery graph, it shows that when I plug it in, it immediately charges to the 80% and stays that way until I unplug in the morning.

Screenshot.jpeg

Reactions: Fantasigraphic

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
Still no luck with me. It worked for 1 day prior to the big overnight reboot that many of us experienced, and hasn’t worked since. Ive tried rebooting, turning off and on location settings and yesterday updated to 17.1.1. Nada.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Glad to see one of the Optimized Charging devices kicked in 🤪🥴

Attachments

• IMG_0534.png
    IMG_0534.png
    451.3 KB · Views: 112

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
No reason for my phone being so warm in the morning when I take it off the charger. It charged to 80% hours ago.

Anyone know why?

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Powering on and off not working and still getting warm. It is like when it is done charging, it redirects the charging current to a heater!
Ok, still a lot of factors could be doing this. How your phone is setup and what you have On (Background app refresh, Always On, etc).

Oh I remember you now! lol. Told me I didn’t know crap about shipping and gave bad information lol

Made a video (with sound) for you back in early Oct and never sent it 😎🤣

Anyways, hope this warm battery issue gets figured out for you ASAP!

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Ok, still a lot of factors could be doing this. How your phone is setup and what you have On (Background app refresh, Always On, etc).

Anytime I do a major update I also do a Network Reset. Maybe try that.

Do you have the 80% charging option turned On under Battery setting?
Have done multiple resets. Yes the 80% is engaged and when I plug it in, according to the battery graph, it immediately charges to that 80% within the first hour when plugged in. For the next 8 hours the graph show it at 80%. when I take it off the charger in the morning.

Never used always on as I wear an Apple Watch, can't believe that apps are refreshing in background. I am closing all apps before putting it on the charger just to make sure. The battery program shows nothing is happen out of the ordinary at nigh while sleeping.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have owned a lot of iPhones and the only time one of them was warm are charging was using wireless charging. I charge via a cable.

Not a big deal, as mystery and was just wondering why it is warm.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022

Oh I remember you now! lol. Told me I didn’t know crap about shipping and gave bad information lol

Made a video (with sound) for you back in early Oct and never sent it 😎🤣

Anyways, hope this warm battery issue gets figured out for you ASAP!

View attachment 2311384
Sometimes people can not believe the truth.

crimedog73

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Wow. I had given up hope that my optimized charging would ever work and then last night I woke up at about 1:00 am and saw the message that it kicked in for the first time since I got it on launch day. What the? Crazy. Geez

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.