Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I doubt the iPhone 6 4.7" will come in October, especially given all the other products rumored to be launching this autumn. It's probably the 5.5" version that we keep hearing is delayed. But an iPhone 6 4.7" in late September, plus an iPhone 5.5" in the middle of October, plus an iWatch, plus new iPad updates, plus _maybe_ an Apple TV update, plus potential Mac Mini and 27" iMac updates (rumored yesterday to be coming soon), could all lead to quite a busy October schedule. I mean think about it, Apple is usually busy leading up to Christmas anyway. Throw in a new product line that people want to go see and things get real crazy real fast!

But for those who don't know their iPhone release history (which seems to be many of you), here you go:

iPhone: June 29, 2007
3G: July 11, 2008
3gs: June 19, 2009
4: June 24, 2010
4S: October 14, 2011
5: September 21, 2012
5S: September 20, 2013

Suddenly that October release date doesn't look so crazy after all? In the years since 2010, Apple has been slowly shifting away from WWDC being a venue to unveil new hardware and instead focus more on the software and development side of things—which makes sense. They even moved the iPad cycle from Spring to Autumn in 2012. The nice thing about an Autumn schedule is your product is newer for the holiday shopping season and has more buzz, and if you typically launch in early autumn then if something gets delayed you can easily push it back to October and still be prepared for the bulk of the holiday shopping rush.

All that being said, surely by now Apple has gotten to the point where their supply chain is solid enough to launch when they want to. There is a simple marketing reason why Apple has been recently launching new iPhones in September and new iPads in October/November: Pulsing their message. They get a lot more media coverage out of two events. It becomes a talking point on the news, late night talk shows, water cooler—and not once but twice about a month apart before the shopping season begins. That has to factor into their strategy.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I call BS on Apple going 3 quarters with no new products. Something new will be announced in the September quarter.

Agreed. I can't believe Apple would squander the iDevice insanity that happens every time a new device comes out by releasing upgrades all in the same quarter.

Mike49

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Maybe it will push me over the edge to the Snapdragon 805 LG G3.

That's precisely what I did 2 weeks ago. I'm immensely pleased with the phone AND I no longer have to wait for something that is yet unseen, AND I don't get immersed in the hype and the mad scramble at launch, AND I get a removable 3000mah battery along with a µSD expansion card slot (128G capacity) as well as a plethora of other droid goodness.

Y'all have fun!;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
News Flash:
Apple could be planning to be doing anything at all, at any time whatsoever.

Wildly guess and eventually you're bound to get something co-incidentally right.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
News Flash:
Apple could be planning to be doing anything at all, at any time whatsoever.

Wildly guess and eventually you're bound to get something co-incidentally right.

Basically. The amount of back and forth that's been happening with these dates is ridiculous.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Basically. The amount of back and forth that's been happening with these dates is ridiculous.

Right?! If I were Apple, I would try and spread a fake rumor around its factories of a release date, and just surprise everyone with their actual release date being much sooner than anticipated.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I'm okay with that, I have a contract to complete with my iPhone 5. :D
Yeah, that was a rather selfish comment.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Someone change that bloody article picture.

Where's that guy who made that GIF and put them on some wood instead?!?

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
So, question: when do the new prices go into effect? My wife and I are planning to get 5S's when the 6 launches, since our upgrade comes around in September. Do the new prices on older phones go into effect after the announcement or when it officially launches? My wife's 4S battery is in really bad shape, so for her I'd prefer an earlier launch, but a later launch means extra time for me to enjoy my jailbreak.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Doubtful... Or perhaps the iPhone (and iOS 8) in October, new iPads in November/December for the holiday season and iWatch in January?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Someone posted to Apple Insider the number of days between iPhone announcement and release date. Apple is now down around 9 days between announcement and release. I don't see that changing now. I can see an Apple wearable launch being an "immense" day for Apple retail as people are more likely to buy a wearable device in store (where they can try it on) than online.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/18...-on-oct-14-as-part-of-busy-month#post_2571893

It's unnecessary to even go that far. Last week Apple gave guidance on 4Q earnings to be comparable to 3Q earnings. We know iPhone sales typically grind to a near halt in 3Q in anticipation of the next model. So for Apple to project similar earnings as last quarter a new iPhone would have to pick up the slack late in the quarter. That points to a post-labor day announcement and mid-Sept release.

The dates you posted offer additional historical evidence a Sept launch this year is more likely than not.

xtracripsy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
October? Seriously??? Apple, please get your **** together and release your products in a timely manner. This should have come out or at least been announced before the summer. Sick of waiting for this ****

I'm pretty sure this is the longest delay between leaked parts and product announcement, which makes this whole thing even worse. I know there are finished phones out there. RELEASE THE ****ING THING

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
October? Seriously??? Apple, please get your **** together and release your products in a timely manner. This should have come out or at least been announced before the summer. Sick of waiting for this ****

I'm pretty sure this is the longest delay between leaked parts and product announcement, which makes this whole thing even worse. I know there are finished phones out there. RELEASE THE ****ING THING

Pretty sure, Apple understands what it's schedule needs to be. If Apple's timing doesn't mesh with your own needs find another product that is already out. But stop whining about a material possession as if your life depended on it.

xtracripsy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
Pretty sure, Apple understands what it's schedule needs to be. If Apple's timing doesn't mesh with your own needs find another product that is already out. But stop whining about a material possession as if your life depended on it.

Don't take me too seriously, I know Apple well enough - I'm a former employee. I've had every iPhone since the first and I don't plan on switching. But seriously this wait is ridiculous. I buy a lot of technology and no other company makes you wait the way Apple does

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

I don't remember when we saw leaks for the 4S (the last October release) but keep in mind that Apple makes more in advance every year, which means earlier production runs, which means more/earlier leaks.

Also, it doesn't matter if there are a few phones done or not, they won't announce them until they have the supply they want.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone launch

OCT?????
Late again as usual for Apple. Why not have Samsung or HTC manufacture your phones. They seem to get them out as often as possible with no problems.:eek:

xtracripsy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
I don't remember when we saw leaks for the 4S (the last October release) but keep in mind that Apple makes more in advance every year, which means earlier production runs, which means more/earlier leaks.

Also, it doesn't matter if there are a few phones done or not, they won't announce them until they have the supply they want.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered larger runs resulting in more leaks, which I guess should be pretty obvious. :eek: Apple definitely knows what they are doing, but I don't think I've been this impatient for an update since the initial release in 2007. :/

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
That's precisely what I did 2 weeks ago. I'm immensely pleased with the phone AND I no longer have to wait for something that is yet unseen, AND I don't get immersed in the hype and the mad scramble at launch, AND I get a removable 3000mah battery along with a µSD expansion card slot (128G capacity) as well as a plethora of other droid goodness.

Y'all have fun!;)

And yet your still here commenting on an iphone rumour. Pretty sure you will be here in Sept wanting a iPhone 6. Enjoy your phone!!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Don't take me too seriously, I know Apple well enough - I'm a former employee. I've had every iPhone since the first and I don't plan on switching. But seriously this wait is ridiculous. I buy a lot of technology and no other company makes you wait the way Apple does

I'm not sure how the wait is "ridiculous" as of almost August when the iPhones have been released in very late summer/ early fall for many years now. As a fan and employee you know that, so I don't really understand your impatience when you know the release timing history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.