Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
First time I've heard that theory. Doubt it.

Anyway, the important point is that parts leaks are next to meaningless when trying to speculate a date. We see parts leaks throughout the year, most years. The first 4S leak was in January, 10 months before its release.
Okay maybe I am mixing up the iPad delay in Japan with this. My bad.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
maybe the term incredibly busy month should of been in bold..

u know, just to outline the fact all employees needed to grab a few cups of coffee and sweat over this.

henryaaron

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
New York
I still can't get over tis idea of keeping this design for larger models?
As screens have grown into epic proportions, with 5.0 becoming the standard. Manufacturers are having to clear their phones from excess space wasters such as large buttons to allow maximum screen estate.

Yet apple continue to use this out of date design and then use a smaller screen?
They should have either placed the clunky button on another part of the shell such as the rear or the side and reduced the top bezel instead of sacrificing screen size.

What is most ridiculous is the footprint of the phone can remain larger than it needs to be while attention is then paid to how thin the phone is? Is there something about skinny fit jeans at the apple campus we don't know about? Where pockets are very large and wearers dont mind a poke over from their pockets, but are worn by middle aged workers who wear their pants so tight that they cannot possibly squeeze a phone in their pocket that is a millimetre thicker?

I've seen people age 60+ operate an iPhone and that button is their favorite thing to press.

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Perhaps it's me, but it just seems silly to have your company look basically dead all year and have everything of any interest announced in one hit, when other companies LOOK like they are bringing new and exciting things out at many times during they year.

Even if it was a 6 month gap, Spring and Autumn.

I think Apple should move their iPhone releases to the spring, maybe April or May. They could start with shifting the iPhone 6s release to April or May 2015, keeping the iPad Air/iPad mini/iPod releases for October. They could also introduce the 5.5" iPhone 6s at that time with the 4.7" version.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Makes sense they would launch the smaller a bit later so they could build up inventory for the large model to launch at the same time.

I just think releasing at 2 times would confuse and upset some customers.

This is a good move by apple this way I think they will still have large model shortages (which the media loves to pick up on and give them even more pub).

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
touch ID on screen would be interesting, but probably not doable for many years?

regardless, they need to find some way to get rid of the home button without making the end result look like a galaxy s5. that home button is the sole reason the phone continues to be as chunky as it is.

Yeah I agree with you. Personally I think phones without any front physical buttons like my Moto X, the Nexus 5, and G3, look so much better than ones that have said button.

stevejobz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2014
I think iphone 6 is going to break a record that is going to be very hard to break by any other company. Everyone has been waiting for it impatiently and if it adapts to the big screen trend that we see with smartphones now, which it will. Things are going to be great for Apple and its investors.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Good to see they're finally associating the 5.5" with 2015. My prediction: 4.0" and 4.7" iPhone 6; 5.5" model added in fall 2015, if at all (the phablet market is so small they may decide it isn't worth it).

There's no 4" iPhone 6 coming out. Maybe a 4" iPhone successor to the the 5c with 5s specs. Maybe Apple will just continue selling the 5s. Are you hoping there will be a 4" iPhone 6 because you're concerned about the size of the 4.7" iPhone 6?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I don't believe it. The new iPhone will come in September, as always..

Except more than half weren't September. Most have come in June.

original iPhone - June
iPhone 3G - July
iPhone 3GS - June
iPhone 4 - June
iPhone 4S - October
iPhone 5 - September
iPhone 5S - September

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Right.

Though taking the quarters naming convention out, you do realise it till be 12 months since a new product has been announced... Mac pro was announced in June 2013 and iphone 5s/5c in September 2013

A new iPhone will be announced in September - 12 month since a new product has been launched by apple (spec bumps are not new products).

Wasn't the iPad Air released in October?

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
pffttt.... Oct launch?? I hope not, I can’t wait to trash my iPhone 4... I can’t wait that long arghhh

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Is there something about skinny fit jeans at the apple campus we don't know about? Where pockets are very large and wearers dont mind a poke over from their pockets, but are worn by middle aged workers who wear their pants so tight that they cannot possibly squeeze a phone in their pocket that is a millimetre thicker?

I think you are on to something. :p

Matthew830

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
I'm inclined to believe that AAPLstock value crashed two years ago because its growth was too fast in too little time. Nearly doubled in 10 months. I haven't got knowledge or skills to establish 700$ as a correct value. But it was clear enough that such a repentine growth was not sustainable in a short period

This "rumor" has now been picked up by major press and is linked on AAPL stock aggregates like its msn website. http://investorplace.com/2014/07/aapl-apple-12/?cc=msnfeed&cp=feed

Same thing happened two years ago when "rumors" of apple's untimely demise exacerbated its sell off. You are correct that it was due a correction from $700 a share but it fell down to the 400's because of stupid rumors like this one that were repeated ad noisome and eroded which created a snow ball effect that panicked investors.

This "rumor" and the assumptions made in this article also imply that Tim Cook and CFO of apple misled investors and analysts during the conference call last week. I hope macrumors has notified the SEC, they have a "watergate" level story on their hands.

No I don't think that they cause apple to drop over 2$ today as the whole market is down, but did they contribute, surely they did. And for what? Posting a rumor based on flimsy evidence that does not even support the assumptions they make in this article. I hope they got the clicks they wanted from this.

Anyone who works or has worked at apple want to comment on "retail meetings" getting access to product launch dates? A friend of mine who used to work for them never got info about what exactly was launching until public unveilings were made. Inside trading laws and all that.......

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I don't believe it. The new iPhone will come in September, as always..

er, except it wasnt always septemer. guess you dont remember when it was summer?

----------

Incremental updates are great, but it's nice to be surprised every once in a while. It would also finally confirm that Apple are still a forward-thinking, ground-breaking company, even after the loss of Steve.

apple is an iterative company, and has been for a very long time. iterative improvements are innovation -- these things dont improve themselves.

touchdown100

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Read my posts, no new hardware!

To the stupid and those who refuse to listen!

I have said it before so will do so again and again till I am blue in the face.

Apple will not release any new hardware this year. The reasons are many so here is the complete list as to why.

Firstly last year Tim Cook said that Apple had great new products for the whole of 2014 and even Eddy Cue of Apple has said that the new products in the pipeline is the best he has seen in 25 years.
Yet we are fast approaching the end of the year with still no sign or even slightest movement from Apple that any new hardware will be coming out.

We are meant to have the Iphone 6 4.7" phone which was rumoured to be released in June (very slight rumours), then rumoured for July (slightly stronger), then August (even stronger) then September, now october. Each time the date is pushed back the rumours of that month being the release month get stronger.

Then we have the Iphone 6 5.5" phone which is the same. Rumours keep pushing it back further and further till it now looks highly likely that it will be released in December if this year at all.

We have the iwatch being pegged for November release at the earliest due to similar reasons for the delay of the Iphone 6 4.7 and 5.5" which is production issues.
We have the Macbook Pro Broadwell being delayed to December this year at earliest due to Intel Broadwell chip being delayed.
So Apple rolled out a very quiet minor(very minor)refresh to the Macbook Pro.

The rumoured Apple Macbook Air Retina looks likely to be released next year thanks to production issues and delays with Intel chips.

The Ipad Air 2 and Ipad Mini Retina 2 look likely to be delayed for unknown reasons at this time to about November if at all.

So we have all major Apple hardware being delayed and delayed and delayed again with no firm date in sight. This is a view backed up by Ming Chi Kuo who is the only Apple analyst with an impressive track record.

Tim Cook is not upto the job. He has i think bitten off more than he can chew. There are too many issues and production issues to deal with. It has meant that there will be too many problems to cope with.

Tim Cook is in a hole and can not say that there is no chance of any new hardware coming out this year hence why he had a minor refresh to the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro and Ipod Touch this year making it very unlikely that new major versions will be released this year.
How many people will be annoyed and pi**ed if Apple release a Macbook Air Retina for eg this year when they bought the minor updated Macbook Air?

We keep hearing from Tim Cook and Apple how there is cool new products coming out of Apple soon but soon never comes.
He in other words is just lying and pushing the dates back and back and back.

I wish I was wrong but I see that I am not. No new major products to come out this year and even if they finally do then they will be so far behind as firms such as Samsung would have released product after product that will keep getting better and better and the fact there would be a new Apple product will not be enough to cut it any more. Perhaps when Steve Jobs was alive simply rolling out a new product from Cupertino would wow everyone but now it is past it and we need products this year not next decade.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

Apple will not release any new hardware this year. The reasons are many so here is the complete list as to why.

Firstly last year Tim Cook said that Apple had great new products for the whole of 2014 and even Eddy Cue of Apple has said that the new products in the pipeline is the best he has seen in 25 years.
Yet we are fast approaching the end of the year with still no sign or even slightest movement from Apple that any new hardware will be coming out.

We are meant to have the Iphone 6 4.7" phone which was rumoured to be released in June (very slight rumours), then rumoured for July (slightly stronger), then August (even stronger) then September, now october. Each time the date is pushed back the rumours of that month being the release month get stronger.

Then we have the Iphone 6 5.5" phone which is the same. Rumours keep pushing it back further and further till it now looks highly likely that it will be released in December if this year at all.

We have the iwatch being pegged for November release at the earliest due to similar reasons for the delay of the Iphone 6 4.7 and 5.5" which is production issues.
We have the Macbook Pro Broadwell being delayed to December this year at earliest due to Intel Broadwell chip being delayed.

The rumoured Apple Macbook Air Retina looks likely to be released next year thanks to production issues and delays with Intel chips.

The Ipad Air 2 and Ipad Mini Retina 2 look likely to be delayed for unknown reasons at this time to about November if at all.

So we have all major Apple hardware being delayed and delayed and delayed again with no firm date in sight. This is a view backed up by Ming Chi Kuo who is the only Apple analyst with an impressive track record.

Tim Cook is not upto the job. He has i think bitten off more than he can chew. There are too many issues and production issues to deal with. It has meant that there will be too many problems to cope with.

Tim Cook is in a hole and can not say that there is no chance of any new hardware coming out this year hence why he had a minor refresh to the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro and Ipod Touch this year making it very unlikely that new major versions will be released this year.
How many people will be annoyed and pi**ed if Apple release a Macbook Air Retina for eg this year when they bought the minor updated Macbook Air?

We keep hearing from Tim Cook and Apple how there is cool new products coming out of Apple soon but soon never comes.

I wish I was wrong but I see that I am not. No new major products to come out this year and even if they finally do then they will be so far behind as firms such as Samsung would have released product after product that will keep getting better and better and the fact there would be a new Apple product will not be enough to cut it any more. Perhaps when Steve Jobs was alive simply rolling out a new product from Cupertino would wow everyone but now it is past it and we need products this year not next decade.

Where is the down vote button?

----------

Except more than half weren't September. Most have come in June.

original iPhone - June
iPhone 3G - July
iPhone 3GS - June
iPhone 4 - June
iPhone 4S - October
iPhone 5 - September
iPhone 5S - September

Yes, you are right. I was mostly referring to the last two releases.

moetownslick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
i think at the very least, they will announce both sizes in september and roll out the 5.5" later in the year. i'll pre-order and wait for the 5.5"

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
my point was, Apple and Steve wanted to capitalise by bringing the release close to the time they/he knew he was going and so increase sales and media coverage.

Lmao this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.:rolleyes:

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014

Uh, I've got nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.