Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
I expect iPhone 13 to have Touch ID built in the display like newer Android phones.

Having it on the new iPad Air power button is a sign that Touch ID isn't dead

and this is why I will hold out for another year

if the 13 has touchID, I know I would immediately want to upgrade my 12
if the 13 has a smaller notch, I know I would immediately want to upgrade my 12
if the 13 has better battery life for 5g management, I know I would want to upgrade my 12

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I'm planning to keep using my iPhone X until the 13 next year, but my XS Max has a big crack in the screen so that's being changed this year to the 12 Pro. I don't mind using the code when wearing a mask, I do wish that my watch would just unlock the phone for me though as it does the MacBook.

appletvbob

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
AT&T giving me $800. for mine (64GB) is just too tempting. They're sending me shipping materials now. I will miss this 8+ yet am looking forward to the new 12.

Ditto. Kudos to Apple for making a phone I have held onto the longest ever. I was going to keep my 8+ after my 12pro arrives tomorrow, but AT&T gave me 800 reasons to let it go. It’s in perfect health. Farewell old friend.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Man, I swear all the good deals are on AT&T haha, even when it comes to buying used all I ever see as good deals are AT&T Used phones.

Unfortunately, I'm sticking with Verizon as we get a discount from them.

Thanks though for the heads up~
I actually found an even better deal on AT&T. $200 for the 11 Pro Max. Just need to trade in my 8 Plus and keep service for 30 months. Also can't unlock the device in that time. Total steal IMO.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Using my 8+ alongside my new iPhone 12 and I have to say, it’s still a lovely phone. Been testing the speed of opening apps on the phones side by side and the 8+ is only a fraction slower, maybe a couple of tenths of a second and I’ve tried this on about 40 different apps. Quite impressive when you think the 8+ is 3 years old. Obviously when it comes to the camera the 12 wins hands down but those of you continuing to use the 8+, rest assured it’s still a fast and fluid phone to use and I’m going to miss it.

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
The graphite iPhone 12 Pro is looking delicious and it's making it hard, but I'm waiting for 12S next year. I will never buy a phone with 1st gen 5G, 1st gen 5nm processor and a new redesign. I will wait out until they fix all the kinks and buy the improved version next year.

Reactions: ediks

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I've had my 8+ since September of 2017 and it is still a great phone. I was planning on keeping it but like a lot of you the carriers (T-Mobile in my case) are making it financially dumb to hold on to the phone for another year. Originally the 8+ was $950 but after 24 monthly credits it only cost me $650. Now they want to give me $650 towards an $850 phone (12 mini) and it doesn't make sense to turn down the offer. Imagine losing or breaking your phone 6 months from now and having to pay full price.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I jettisoned my trusty 8 Plus for a Pixel 4a and couldn't be happier. The actual device was fine- it is everything else that drove me away for good.

Through all of the ups, downs and all arounds with iPhones for ~12 years, the idiotic and totally confusing iTunes, Music, Photos, App Store and other half-baked roll outs along with iCloud... DONE!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The AT&T promotion is extremely aggressive and I suspect many current 8 Plus owners like myself will trade theirs in for a new iPhone. I'm now going with the 12 PM when it's released.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I skimmed through this thread and didn’t see this question asked yet.

What would you expect to happen on the 2021 iPhone besides incremental upgrades?

The 12 is the redesign year, like it or not. It’s like the 6 and the X. Next year should be the 6S or XS equivalent. We will likely have the notch til Q4 2023. Seems like if you’re going to upgrade, this is the year... not 2021.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
This is the first year I've had even a thought of replacing my 8+. Got it on launch day and the battery capacity is still at 92%. Hands down the best iPhone, performance wise I've ever owned. I love TID, don't care about bezels or the notch for that matter. I was really hoping the 12 would give both options for TID and Face ID.

Aesthetically speaking, I really liked the 4/5 design with the flat sides the 12's have gone back to. And blue, being my favorite color, has me thinking this year. Along with all of the other technological advancements.

5G is a non factor for me, in fact it might be a reason not to replace the 8+ this year. But man, that blue. Damnit Apple!

One thing's for sure, if I do replace the 8+, I'll keep it.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I love the new design as well. Every time I take the 8+ out of its case I'm blown away by two things. 1) it really is a beautiful phone and very sleek. 2) It's so sleek it feels like it will surely slip out of my hands like a bar of wet soap.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I skimmed through this thread and didn’t see this question asked yet.

What would you expect to happen on the 2021 iPhone besides incremental upgrades?

The 12 is the redesign year, like it or not. It’s like the 6 and the X. Next year should be the 6S or XS equivalent. We will likely have the notch til Q4 2023. Seems like if you’re going to upgrade, this is the year... not 2021.
Touch ID on the screen is rumored to come next year. That would be reason enough for many to wait a year or upgrade next year. I'm going to upgrade to the 12 PM, but I used a XS Max for a year and unlocking my iPhone from a flat surface was terrible and will probably continue to be.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I was really keen on upgrading to the 12 Pro Max from my 8 Plus but now I’m in two minds after reading this thread
On one hand after 3 years i’d love a new iPhone as I do love a new gadget, but my 8 Plus still works fine all bar the battery which could do with a replacement and I do like that it’s got Touch ID in this mask wearing world we’re currently in.
Where I’m slightly torn is I was looking at the trade-in which makes the monthly payments a bit more appealing, if I leave it another year then that’s another chunk off it’s value.
So decisions decisions pay £49 for a new battery or spend out on a new phone completely
Sensible me says £49 but as I mentioned earlier I do love a new gadget

Reactions: staggerlee41

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Ok so I caved and am now the proud owner of the 12 Pro Max.
As mentioned previously apart from the battery my earpiece was knackered so could hardly hear anything during calls and Apple were offering £170 trade in and 0% finance which I thought if I leave it another year then the monthly payments will be more as I’ll get less on the trade in.
Well so far so good, am really pleased with it, I’ve had it for 24 hours and already I’ve forgotten all about Touch ID and the Home Button.
The size of the phone is pretty much the same but the screen is a lot bigger which is great.
Im loving the camera, especially at night as have never previously been able to take photos that good in the dark before, I tried it indoors in the kitchen first which was pretty good and then totally blown away when I went outside and then to having the ooh mind blown moment when you see the measurements app working out the height of people (I know it’s the little things in life )
My only slight regret was that I forgot to order a case along with the phone so as Apple are only doing click & collect right now in the UK I couldn’t buy one when I collected the phone.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
As mentioned previously apart from the battery my earpiece was knackered so could hardly hear anything during calls and Apple were offering £170 trade in and 0% finance which I thought if I leave it another year then the monthly payments will be more as I’ll get less on the trade in.
Well so far so good, am really pleased with it, I’ve had it for 24 hours and already I’ve forgotten all about Touch ID and the Home Button.
The size of the phone is pretty much the same but the screen is a lot bigger which is great.
Im loving the camera, especially at night as have never previously been able to take photos that good in the dark before, I tried it indoors in the kitchen first which was pretty good and then totally blown away when I went outside and then to having the ooh mind blown moment when you see the measurements app working out the height of people (I know it’s the little things in life )
My only slight regret was that I forgot to order a case along with the phone so as Apple are only doing click & collect right now in the UK I couldn’t buy one when I collected the phone.
As an 8+ owner I'm glad you caved in! I too have a new Pro Max (I had a failing microphone and a dodgy lighting port). I love everything about my new phone, especially Face ID and the camera.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
That's what Amazon is for ? Congratulations on your new device, hopefully it will serve you as well as your 8+!
As an 8+ owner I'm glad you caved in! I too have a new Pro Max (I had a failing microphone and a dodgy lighting port). I love everything about my new phone, especially Face ID and the camera.
Congrats on your new device as well! Face ID is great when you don't have a mask on, I've tried the enrollment method of folding the mask in 1/2 but that has not worked in the 3 times I've attempted it. Sure, entering the passcode works and is a decent option but this is one thing I loved about TID--no issues at all with mask. The home button being gone is taking me more getting used to but I am coming around to life without it. I really love the 8+, I kept it, not ready to part with it. For that matter, what they wanted to give me for it on trade was not even worth it. Though I think she may have given me an inaccurate figure. Didn't matter, I had no plans to part with it as the phone is still in pristine condition with 92% battery capacity on a device purchased on launch day. At this point, the 8+ is the best iPhone I have ever owned but the 12 Pro Max will hopefully change that. The technology upgrades are truly amazing. Here's to hoping you enjoy your 12 Pro Max as well!

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Haha it really isn’t. It wasn’t even a good phone in 2017. Just take a look at the 12 then compare it to the dated surfboard
Are you basing this opinion on the fact that you owned the 8+, X and/or 12 or basing it on the fact that you don't care for the old designs of iPhone? Because it's kind of ridiculous. But hey, it's your opinion and you're entitled to that.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Haha it really isn’t. It wasn’t even a good phone in 2017. Just take a look at the 12 then compare it to the dated surfboard
It is still a great phone (ha ha). When I got my iPhone 12 I tested it side by side with my 8 Plus and was shocked how fast the older device still was compared to more modern tech. It was the best iPhone I’ve owned to date and remained reliable the whole time I owned it. I’m in my late 30’s so not bothered about the looks of it.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
FYI Apple leather cases are cheaper @amazon than from Apple direct.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It absolutely is. Can easily make the case that Touch ID is still superior. Especially when wearing a mask. My 8 Plus was terrific. I just upgraded because I wanted to. Otherwise it was still a great phone to use in 2020.

sofdog

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
I just replaced my 7 Plus with a 12 ProMax.
I don’t miss the home button at all. I don’t miss the Touch ID either. Honestly it’s more difficult to log in using Touch ID with freshly washed hands than to just key in the code with a mask on. Neither method is perfect but having both would be cool.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.