Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I’m looking forward to the 13 for two reasons: 1 my contract will be up by then lol, and 2.. you know the 13 is going to be a badass phone. Its the 13... such a stigma to fight through. Unlucky to many but lucky to others. So controversial. It has to be good either that or they will just change the name to get past it like how some buildings don’t use 13 on floors or suites.. They will probably say screw it call it the 14 lol. Hopefully they keep the same body and hotrod the **** out of it.

Dingster101

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
Y’all are killing me! I’m trying to hold out to see if Apple brings back touch id. I’ve got a stutter and freeze thing going on now that’s wearing on me so I might not be able to hold on too much longer though...

Reactions: staggerlee41

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
Still don't feel willing to give up touch ID. Anyone else here feel the same way?

Though I enjoyed 8 Plus back in the day, I can’t think of going back to the LCD panel in 2020/2021. It’s like going back to the Stone Age.

I have just upgraded to a 12 PM, and this thing is a beast. Probably the best panel out there in any top-end smartphone.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I have owned every iPhone generation up to iPhone 11. I haven’t gotten any of the 12 models yet. I have an iPhone SE 2 and am thoroughly enjoying the phone.

At one point I told myself I could never go back to TouchID and a home button, but it’s not true. As I’m sitting here typing this out on my iPhone SE with my iPhone 11 and XS Max both at home in a drawer

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Though I enjoyed 8 Plus back in the day, I can’t think of going back to the LCD panel in 2020/2021. It’s like going back to the Stone Age.

I have just upgraded to a 12 PM, and this thing is a beast. Probably the best panel out there in any top-end smartphone.
My 12 Pro Max makes my 8+ look like a toy. It was a great phone and I'm keeping it as my backup phone but I'm glad I don't have to use it any more.

Reactions: BlackHawk00

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It wouldn’t be for me. I can barely tell the difference between the OLED screen on my iPhone now and the LCD I had on my 8+. I’ve read for years how amazing the OLED is on here and now I’ve got one I struggle to appreciate it.

Reactions: Locke Cole

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It wouldn’t be for me. I can barely tell the difference between the OLED screen on my iPhone now and the LCD I had on my 8+. I’ve read for years how amazing the OLED is on here and now I’ve got one I struggle to appreciate it.
I do see an improvement in the OLED but it's not as pronounced as some others have mentioned--at least not to me. The biggest screen related difference, at least to me, after using the 12 PM for about a week is the screen size--it's wonderful. I always felt the screen on the 8+ was superb though and never had an issue with the display on it. As much as I am enjoying the 12 PM, the 8+ is still the best phone I've ever owned and still very capable. Hopefully I'll say the same with the 12 PM at some point. Just can't do that yet after less than one week with it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I do see an improvement in the OLED but it's not as pronounced as some others have mentioned--at least not to me. The biggest screen related difference, at least to me, after using the 12 PM for about a week is the screen size--it's wonderful. I always felt the screen on the 8+ was superb though and never had an issue with the display on it. As much as I am enjoying the 12 PM, the 8+ is still the best phone I've ever owned and still very capable. Hopefully I'll say the same with the 12 PM at some point. Just can't do that yet after less than one week with it.
Yeah I’m loving my iPhone 12 but it’s not yet as loved as my 8+ was. I wasn’t as blown away as I had expected with the new iPhone but I think a lot of that is down to the fact visually it’s the same experience. The one thing I have enjoyed is the downsize of the device but the increase in screen size. The only thing I disliked about the 8+ was the fact it was difficult to put in your pocket and I was constantly removing it to get into the car or to sit down generally. The 12 feels smaller enough to notice a difference.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have owned every iPhone generation up to iPhone 11. I haven’t gotten any of the 12 models yet. I have an iPhone SE 2 and am thoroughly enjoying the phone.

At one point I told myself I could never go back to TouchID and a home button, but it’s not true. As I’m sitting here typing this out on my iPhone SE with my iPhone 11 and XS Max both at home in a drawer
Interesting- have you noticed any down side to performance on the SE2 vs the 11? I know they both have the same chip, but with less RAM in the SE I was curious.
And what about screen size- is that a problem for you at all?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I agree- the LCD display on my old 8+ and the 11 I currently have look great, and really I cannot tell much difference in the OLED screen on the new 12 Mini that I just received. Apple really has had nice LCD's for a long time.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Still don't feel willing to give up touch ID. Anyone else here feel the same way?
Touch ID just isn’t great for everyone, our fingers get minor nicks and wear all day every day, plus they’re exposed to a myriad different substances from soap to peanut butter. I’ve not owned an iPhone with touch, but had it on a couple of Android phones and couldn’t make it reliable. I’ve got it on two iPads of very different generations and it’s not reliable for me, I try one finger, another finger - you get the picture. At least for me, Face ID has been 100%, love it.

Reactions: artfossil

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Touch ID just isn’t great for everyone, our fingers get minor nicks and wear all day every day, plus they’re exposed to a myriad different substances from soap to peanut butter. I’ve not owned an iPhone with touch, but had it on a couple of Android phones and couldn’t make it reliable. I’ve got it on two iPads of very different generations and it’s not reliable for me, I try one finger, another finger - you get the picture. At least for me, Face ID has been 100%, love it.
Absolutely agree with what you're saying. I have experience with touch ID in other technologies that my company uses and there were countless times where people could not use TID. Cuts, scars, hand washing, soap, sunscreen, pretty much any substance can impact one's hands and ability to use TID. For people with swelling for any sort of medical reason, that could also create issues as well.

On my 8+,TID was flawless --I never had an issue with it, though I did enroll multiple fingers on each hand so I'd always have backups. Face ID is new to me but I have really really enjoyed it in the 6 days I've had it. Honestly more than I expected. It's so much more convenient than TID so long as you're not wearing a mask, but entering a passcode isn't a bad option. I hope Apple implements both options and continues passcode as the 3rd option for security in upcoming devices.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I’m looking forward to the 13 for two reasons: 1 my contract will be up by then lol, and 2.. you know the 13 is going to be a badass phone. Its the 13... such a stigma to fight through. Unlucky to many but lucky to others. So controversial. It has to be good either that or they will just change the name to get past it like how some buildings don’t use 13 on floors or suites.. They will probably say screw it call it the 14 lol. Hopefully they keep the same body and hotrod the **** out of it.
We still don't know when the 13 will come out. Is it a 2022 phone?

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Feel like a traitor to my 8+ community. I'm most likely getting the iPhone Mini 12. I was going to wait. But, it looks like my near perfect phone isn't around the bend any time soon.

This is what I want:

No fugly notch. (probably not happening for at *least* a couple of years)
USB-C. (BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! Get that one out of there, Joe! You won't get that...ever!) Ok, but I can dream. ;)
120hz screen (maybe next year?)
TouchID returning in some form. (like under the screen or on the power button like on some iPads)
More powerful telephoto lenses.

I figure it will be awhile before all those or even most of those become a reality in the next group of iPhones.

So my stratergy is this. The 8+ might be supported for maybe 2 more years. In the meantime, I can get into the iPhone Mini for less than the 12 or the 12 Pro (or Pro Max for that matter). I can see if I can live with a smaller screen. Also it should be supported until the time that perhaps most of my wish list might be fulfilled. My guess is I will be annoyed with FaceID, especially in this time of wearing masks and using Apple Pay. But I do have my Apple Watch, so maybe that might mitigate that somewhat. But will most likely take the leap and see how the non Home button iPhones work for me.

And darnitall, I love that blue color. :)

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Hanging on to my 7+ until I see a good offer for the 12 Pro. 7+ is still going strong (thanks to Apple to gave me a new one 12 months ago when I asked to have the battery changed :D )
Call me old fashioned but I am also not ready to let go of touch ID, and I don't like to spend a grand when I don't see the amazing upgrade. The only thing that could motivate me is the improved camera. But that forces me to take the Pro rather than the 'normal' 12... oh well as said, still undecided :)

kkhimji2001

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2017
What would you so if you got the 12 pro 512 for £850 on Amazon but got an X at 80% battery? Sell the new 12 pro for £1200 roughy and keep x with upgraded battery? Then upgrade next year?
Could have got £350 for an X but now prices have dropped to like £300.
Advice please ?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

Yea those LCD iPad Pro's and 5k iMac screens looks trash.....??‍♂️

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
What would you so if you got the 12 pro 512 for £850 on Amazon but got an X at 80% battery? Sell the new 12 pro for £1200 roughy and keep x with upgraded battery? Then upgrade next year?
Could have got £350 for an X but now prices have dropped to like £300.
Advice please ?

Keep the 12 Pro bargain and enjoy it for the next three years.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Hanging on to my 7+ until I see a good offer for the 12 Pro. 7+ is still going strong (thanks to Apple to gave me a new one 12 months ago when I asked to have the battery changed :D )
Call me old fashioned but I am also not ready to let go of touch ID, and I don't like to spend a grand when I don't see the amazing upgrade. The only thing that could motivate me is the improved camera. But that forces me to take the Pro rather than the 'normal' 12... oh well as said, still undecided :)
After trying to upgrade my 7 Plus for the last three years I've strongly realised that it's now slow. To start with the X wasn't it's replacement, the XS Max was for sure but not light years ahead. The 12 series really shine for speed and polish. Sadly I cannot use Apple OLED so have to sidegrade to an SE 2020 or 11. I can't bring myself to put a third battery in the 7 Plus. ?‍♂️

But now I've tried and returned a 12 and 12PM I cant love the thickness of the 11 (or it's cheap feel) or the cramped display of the SE. Trying the best makes settling even harder. My only hope is apple make an all screen LCD iphone that's more premium than the 11. If you still love your 7 Plus maybe stick with it....

But if you can get a deal for the 12 Pro and can use OLED then I'd go all in as it's a strong upgrade in every way. Fit, finish, weight, edge to edge display, the gestures etc.

Last edited:

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I was actually almost ready to upgrade last year because my 7+ was getting bit slow but I couldn't be bothered with installing all software again (some of my banking software is IMEI locked so a bit more of a hassle then simply reloading a backup). That is why I went to get a new battery and ended up with a new 7+. Downside being that I had the hassle of a new phone without having a never version, however the new 7+ is much faster than the old one and even now, one year down the line on IOS14 is still not showing any lag. So the only reason to upgrade would be the 'want have' factor and maybe the camera...

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
Yep, still holding on to my 8+. Works perfectly well even on iOS 14. Don't want to give up the Touch ID or home button just yet. I also prefer a notch-less display (if I had to choose). I'll hold on to it until at least the 13 releases (if not longer).

Apple won't drop support for the 8+ anytime soon. The 6s/6s+/SE (1st Gen) (which are 2 generations older) are still fully supported and will remain so until at least September 2021 (and it might be as late as September 2022).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.