Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Traded-in my 8+ towards my 12 Pro Max...whoops
I did the same, had confirmation earlier that the 8+ has been received and accepted so the value has come off my total.
Yeah I probably could’ve gone another year but I don’t regret it one bit as I certainly wouldn’t have got as much on trade-in next year.

Reactions: moldy lunchbox

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
Even though I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I now use my old iPhone 8+ for food delivery service. Food service apps are battery hogs, since the GPS has to be on all the time.

Reactions: staggerlee41

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
People saying they like the 8+ because they hate the notch are confusing to me. The 8+ has no notch, but it has massive bezels which to me is even less appealing. I have used an 8+ every day since launch. I don’t mind the bezels or the notch, but the notch is far less intrusive than 2 huge bezels that take up way more space than a tiny notch.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
People saying they like the 8+ because they hate the notch are confusing to me. The 8+ has no notch, but it has massive bezels which to me is even less appealing. I have used an 8+ every day since launch. I don’t mind the bezels or the notch, but the notch is far less intrusive than 2 huge bezels that take up way more space than a tiny notch.
Honestly I never understood those opinions either. I just use the device and get used to it however it is. I never minded the bezels and don't really care about the notch. The screens on both 8+ and 12 PM to my eyes are both great. That's a real testament to the 8+'s screen because I've looked at them side by side and still don't see that much of a difference in terms of quality of image/video.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Honestly I never understood those opinions either. I just use the device and get used to it however it is. I never minded the bezels and don't really care about the notch. The screens on both 8+ and 12 PM to my eyes are both great. That's a real testament to the 8+'s screen because I've looked at them side by side and still don't see that much of a difference in terms of quality of image/video.
Screen wise I feel the same. I compared my 8+ and 12 side by side and couldn’t see an awfully big difference I have to be honest. Both have nice crisp screens as far as I am concerned. I preferred the aspect ratio of the 8+ screen though I have to say. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather the notch wasn’t there and don’t think it looks particularly good but I have gotten used to it and don’t tend to think about it at all in use. I prefer the physical size now of the 12 as it fits in the pocket much easier but both devices have things that are better than the other IMO. You can’t go wrong with either.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
There are many people who just love a perfectly rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio screen, and the 1080p p3 lcd screen on the 8 Plus is the best Apple have ever made in an iphone. Yes it has those bezels, but would take those bezels over the horrible intrusive notch any day. I am of course talking about myself, but then the iphone 12 mini came along which has so much charm....

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Thanks all for your impressions of the 12/12 Mini. I think now I have read enough that most likely typing won't be that huge an issue going from my 8 Plus to the 12 Mini. I probably will miss the aspect ratio and the TouchID in this era of wearing masks that we are still in.

But I think I am ready to move to something a bit more pocketable now after years with the 8 Plus. Who knows? Maybe next go around I may go up to something larger again. I just feel right now with my iPad and my laptop, I can always use those if I need the bigger screen area/keyboard.

And that I am happy Apple went ahead and made a phone like the 12 Mini. Such a phone should exist in their lineup. So I am putting my $$ where my mouth is and supporting the product. Hopefully it will continue onward and be a staple of the iPhone lineup for years to come.

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
There are many people who just love a perfectly rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio screen, and the 1080p p3 lcd screen on the 8 Plus is the best Apple have ever made in an iphone. Yes it has those bezels, but would take those bezels over the horrible intrusive notch any day. I am of course talking about myself, but then the iphone 12 mini came along which has so much charm....
Exactly! We all have our own preferences (neither is objectively better than the other). I myself don't hate the notch (don't mind it that much actually), but I still prefer a rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio 1080p screen. Yes there are large top and bottom bezels which do make the 8+ larger, but at the same time they make the device easier to hold for me with the non-screen area (especially for gaming and watching videos).

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Even though I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I now use my old iPhone 8+ for food delivery service. Food service apps are battery hogs, since the GPS has to be on all the time.
Woah, which Food delivery are you using?
UberEats and Mr Delivery Food down here are great, I’m never worried about battery life with them, they barely make a dent on battery life.

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
Woah, which Food delivery are you using?
UberEats and Mr Delivery Food down here are great, I’m never worried about battery life with them, they barely make a dent on battery life.

I use DoorDash and GrubHub driver apps here in SoCal.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I use DoorDash and GrubHub driver apps here in SoCal.

Oooh , you yourself are driving, apologies, that makes sense now. I was like “Wtf, how can a short delivery of food take battery” , lol.

Yeah I get you, I have seen that many Uber drivers down here generally have 2 phones as well to ensure their mainline is not busy or dead, while they use an older phone for the app.

Reactions: artfossil

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Gonna have to hold out to SE Plus/SE 11 hybrid/SE 12 Mini hybrid once again. Worrying signs that there won't be SE anything in 2021?

Will get a new battery in my 7 plus when UK lockdown is over. ?

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
I sold my 11 Pro and just RMA'd my 12 Mini, only my 1st Gen SE is left to manage Family Sharing. Back to Android until Apple wakes up, does a ground-up rebuild of iOS, implements modern standards like USB-C, USB 3.0 or later, fast-refresh screens, and other tech that has become commonplace on Android.

I think I'm in for a bit of a wait ;)

Reactions: ActionFigures
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.