Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Indeed, I would still be using my 7 right now but it needs new mics, and a battery. My gf is still using hers and I miss how it sat in my hand. I’m not a big guy so my new phone is pretty huge. I see shortys with their huge max phones and tiny hands that can barely hold it lol and they are doing ok. I was just loading up some pinball on my little 5S, after using my max that thing reminds me of a nano ?

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I don’t mind the notch, I do miss the battery % though.. they could have made it work if they tried a little harder.

Reactions: rdy0329

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I'm on my third 8+. I sold the first one when the xs max came out. I got pwm headaches from it, so I went back to another 8+. I sold it and got an 11 at launch, but somehow that also gave me headaches. I'm back on my third 8+ and not sure where to go from here.

The 8+ is a solid phone for sure, but it's hard to enjoy it knowing how much better the 11 pro series is. The only things the 8+ have going for it are the cheap price and the fact it has touch id and no notch (for those people who are adamant they can't handle either. It took me 5 minutes to get used to both.)

The 8+ will last me another few years, but I'm banking on micro LED or some kind of new screen tech that doesn't use pwm to dim the screen. If that doesn't come, I'll have to leave iPhone behind. No big deal to me, as I like Android just as well.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Oh the 8+ you have had a notch?

No, I was replying to post #28, and there was a guy who didn't know the notch is not present during netflix, amazon, or youtube presentations. That oled is so easy on the eyes, and because it can actually go black, it blends the notch out. I wouldn't have posted in this thread at all, just to point out my display has never flickered like someone said they do.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
No, I was replying to post #28, and there was a guy who didn't know the notch is not present during netflix, amazon, or youtube presentations. That oled is so easy on the eyes, and because it can actually go black, it blends the notch out. I wouldn't have posted in this thread at all, just to point out my display has never flickered like someone said they do.

Thanks for the context, appreciate it.

Reactions: freeagent

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Far too many people are concerned with looks, it’s as if because the 8 plus has a chin and forehead it has somehow stopped performing in some way.

The 8 plus is still a great phone and does what the vast majority of us want and need.
It’s not so much the looks as it is the wasted space.

Reactions: Bethanie21

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
The 8+ has a big enough screen though. Any bigger and those with smaller hands would struggle to use it one handed which is just about achievable in certain situations. How often are people looking at the home button or speaker rather than the screen itself?
Hes not talking about the screen size though, he’s talking about the space the home button uses, and the space above the screen. All of that space is now screen.

Reactions: Bethanie21

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
No your right, that’s how iPhones used to be. I have no problem with it. But iPhones have moved on I guess.. personally I think all of my old iPhones look classy. They are worth more to me just having them in the house than selling them.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No your right, that’s how iPhones used to be. I have no problem with it. But iPhones have moved on I guess.. personally I think all of my old iPhones look classy. They are worth more to me just having them in the house than selling them.

I think those that worry about the looks of the device are probably happy with the newer form factors on offer and those like me who aren’t particularly bothered will be more interested in what the phone is capable of for their needs. It’s a personal and business tool for me primarily and the 8+ has been the best iPhone I’ve used to date. The fact it’s 2 and a half years old and still nearly as fast and capable as a 2019 iPhone is testament to its great design.

At the end of the day everybody has to be happy with the phone they are using as nobody else gives a toss. It’s all personal choice and no amount of criticism from others online will change the reality, for me at least.

Reactions: snipr125

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of those guys who look at them as a status symbol, or my entire life revolves around Apple. I’ve never owned a current phone. I just like their phones as well as iOS. I bought a certified preowned to save money on an old phone lol.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yeah the 8 Plus is most definitely a beast. That year, the 8 Plus and the X were very overpowered at the time. It's only until RIGHT NOW that Android handsets have caught up to the A11 or surpassed in raw power.

Which is good news for 8 Plus users because it can still handle new iOS updates without breaking a sweat. Plus, IMHO, I think the design of the 8 Plus is classic vintage style now.

Indeed. The vast majority of the iPhone 8 Plus competitors are long forgotten by their manufacturers and no longer getting OS updates, some of them not getting updates at all at this point, yet the iPhone 8 is still well supported.

Reactions: arefbe

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Indeed. The vast majority of the iPhone 8 Plus competitors are long forgotten by their manufacturers and no longer getting OS updates, some of them not getting updates at all at this point, yet the iPhone 8 is still well supported.

I had an old 5s in a drawer that I gave to my son a couple of months back, it received an update just the other day and is still supported to a point.

Granted it’s an IOS version behind now but that’s bloody impressive for such an old phone.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I had an old 5s in a drawer that I gave to my son a couple of months back, it received an update just the other day and is still supported to a point.

Granted it’s an IOS version behind now but that’s bloody impressive for such an old phone.

Oh yes it received iOS 12.4.6 at the same time that newer iPhones received iOS 13.4.

Indeed, incredible support by Apple, that is an almost 7 year old phone now, absolutely amazing!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Wife washed hers a few days ago (2 payments still left on Next) and its been sitting in rice since. It works, but the screen doesn't look so great. If we had some SUN, I'd lay it out in direct sunlight to dry the screen. No hairdryer here.

May just buy her an unlocked 8 for $350 at Walmart rather than start another Next Payment.

*It was wrapped up in the bedding and spent maybe 10 minutes tops in the water. So much for the water resistance ratings. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.