Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Oh yes it received iOS 12.4.6 at the same time that newer iPhones received iOS 13.4.

Indeed, incredible support by Apple, that is an almost 7 year old phone now, absolutely amazing!

I took the update on my 5S the other day, I could have sworn they said updates were to stop but I’m sure it’s had two outside of its schedule, I could be wrong. Fun fact, I have 2x ATV3s and the newer 4HD.. the 3s have had 3 or 4 new updates since they said they would stop. This one added the tv app which I was surprised to see. I haven’t played with it at all, just needed it for YouTube and the kids.

Reactions: Tsepz

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I do hope for 9plus, please 256gb!

I’d say more like 64GB/128 GB offered in two variants, I doubt they’re going to offer 256GB, that’s substantially higher in price and I doubt most consumers need that much storage.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
1 year warranty on Apple devices here in the States. It is what it is.

We get 2 years here for faults that are hardware related and linked to design/manufacturing, sometimes 5 depending on the type of product. I’ve had Apple devices replaced after a year in the past and as long as you don’t go shouting and demanding I’ve found most retailers honour it.

Reactions: MarkX

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
It’ll be my last iPhone with the classic design. I’m just glad I’ve had this form factor what will be an extra three years come September.
Im in the same boat as you Realdeal, but if there is a iphone 9+ released soon i might just get it to save me hundreds of pounds on the iphone 12 max pro.
On a completely separate note though, you must be so frustrated that the premiership is on hold which delays the Scousers from getting their hands on the title you guys been craving for decades!

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
The current benefit from having an older Touch ID iPhone is that it still "recognizes you" with a N95 mask on in grocery stores- as long as we don't have to wear gloves too! Frustrating to keep putting in a passcode to see my grocery list...

Reactions: Superlamb

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
On a completely separate note though, you must be so frustrated that the premiership is on hold which delays the Scousers from getting their hands on the title you guys been craving for decades!
It is very frustrating but I appreciate there are more important things going on right now. I’m not convinced we even be allowed to clinch the title at this rate but hey.

I’m happy to wait for an iPhone though. My 8+ is overdue an upgrade but still capable enough not to worry that I’m missing out. Depending on price I’ll likely get the larger iPhone 12 (mid tier, not Pro).

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
It is very frustrating but I appreciate there are more important things going on right now. I’m not convinced we even be allowed to clinch the title at this rate but hey.

I’m happy to wait for an iPhone though. My 8+ is overdue an upgrade but still capable enough not to worry that I’m missing out. Depending on price I’ll likely get the larger iPhone 12 (mid tier, not Pro).
Realistically they should just end the league now due to the current pandemic and award liverpool the title and be done with it (will leave my team the gunners ninth but thats fine). Practically all sports tournaments have been cancelled so makes sense. Anyway sorry everyone for going off topic.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I got a XS Max last week and I sold my trusty 8 Plus the other day. It actually hurt to let it go because it treated me so well! It was and STILL is a beast!!!

The guy buying it bought an SE 2 but he said he couldn't get used to how small the screen looked like to him so he wanted the most modern Touch ID large sized iPhone. Apparently, the 8 Plus in good condition is hard to come by--all he saw were 7 Pluses and 6S Pluses

I love the XS Max since this is my first full screen OLED apple phone but I have a soft spot for the 8 Plus. :')

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I still have my 8+ bought at launch, and most of everything is still working fine except for the battery which often needs a recharge 2/3rds of the way into the day. Battery replacements for the 8+ are only $49 from Apple so I'm still debating if I want to keep it once the 12 is released.

My only other issue is that every now and then WiFi/cellular will crap out, and the only fix is a reboot - I'm not sure if it's a software or a hardware issue, but the fact that a reboot fixes it for weeks/months tells me it's likely a software issue (I reboot my phone weekly anyways). I could always get a battery replacement and a fresh install, which I'm sure will do wonders for durability and stability.

I recently got a second-gen SE for work and I really appreciate the smaller form factor, though. Might even end up trading the 8+ for an SE, but I love me a good camera and will wait to see what the 12 brings, especially with a rumored 5ish inch model.

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
I got a XS Max last week and I sold my trusty 8 Plus the other day. It actually hurt to let it go because it treated me so well! It was and STILL is a beast!!!

The guy buying it bought an SE 2 but he said he couldn't get used to how small the screen looked like to him so he wanted the most modern Touch ID large sized iPhone. Apparently, the 8 Plus in good condition is hard to come by--all he saw were 7 Pluses and 6S Pluses

I love the XS Max since this is my first full screen OLED apple phone but I have a soft spot for the 8 Plus. :')
How do you find the XS Max after the 8 Plus? Do you think it’s a lot nicer, and do you notice a speed difference given that it’s only one cpu generation newer? I ask because my wife just got a regular XS and it’s a very nice phone. It’s on my ‘possible’ list. I do find my 8 Plus just slightly too big, and my contract has run out now too. I can get a decent deal on one.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
How do you find the XS Max after the 8 Plus? Do you think it’s a lot nicer, and do you notice a speed difference given that it’s only one cpu generation newer? I ask because my wife just got a regular XS and it’s a very nice phone. It’s on my ‘possible’ list. I do find my 8 Plus just slightly too big, and my contract has run out now too. I can get a decent deal on one.

As much as I absolutely loved my 8 Plus (still do!), yes the XS Max is a much better iPhone. This is my first bezel less iPhone with Face ID. The fit and finish of the XS Max is another league above the 8 Plus--and that's saying a lot! It feels like a piece of jewelry when you hold it--very solid and robust feeling.

I do notice an increase in speed and it's a bit more "fluid" not that I'm saying the 8 Plus was choppy or anything--I think it's the OLED screen making things seem more fluid too. AND THAT SCREEN!!!! If you were able to still manage the 8 Plus size, you'd love the Max. It's basically the body of the 8 Plus but full screen OLED. Looking at any content with it is a joy, I didn't know I was missing out like this lol. AND THE SPEAKERS!!! I always thought the 8 Plus's speakers were great until I heard these: much much clearer and louder.

The thing is though, you DO get used to it after a few days. It goes from being WHOAAA to being normal to you but that's okay because I don't need to be wow'd all the time. It's just the technological jump was pretty substantial in all areas and the fact that the 8 Plus is an absolutely amazing iPhone from the get go, that makes it that much better.

Do it!!!

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
If my carrier is clearing out iPhone 8 Plus at $300, is it a good price given we have the SE going for $400?

Reactions: compwiz1202

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have not compared specs on processors/RAM or benchmarks as well as other internals, you might consider doing so before deciding if those things are important to you. What you will get with an 8+ fantastic battery life and a great camera at a significantly discounted price. My battery is still sitting at 92% of capacity and was purchased on launch day.

Do you want a plus sided phone or do you prefer the smaller form factor?

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
While I do like my 8+ and I really appreciate not having to update on a yearly basis. I sure do wish Apple would make a version of the iPhone more robust so I don't need to use a protective case. I really like the iPhone without a case, and I've tried a lot of them. It's funny how many of my friends either have a ridiculous case or as I a cracked iPhone, mine is cracked on both sides. What's the purpose of making a slim ergonomically design if it's either guaranteed to crack with use or require a cumbersome case?

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
If my carrier is clearing out iPhone 8 Plus at $300, is it a good price given we have the SE going for $400?

I still think the 8 Plus for $300 is a darn good deal. The SE at $400 is a great deal too, but the 8 Plus at $300 brand new is a steal.

The 8 plus is still for now the last Plus model iPhone. It has great battery life, A11 chip is still a beast of a chip. The screen is 1080p and you get it with 100% battery health. Yes I think the phone is definitely worth $300.

The SE is worth $400 as well and if you’re ok with 4.7” display you get a performance boost and subjectively “better” camera even though it’s a single lens. If you’re fine with a 4.7” display I would get the SE, but if you need the 5.5” then yes the iPhone 8 Plus is still gonna get you 3 more years of support most likely.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.