Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I am ok with mine but once again the Lightning port is broken. It would be dead if it weren’t for wireless charging capabilities that keep it operational.
My 8+ appears to be bricked. It was charging overnight and next morning: nothing! No apparent symptoms before that. Apple has tested it through the Lightning port and I've done the same with ReiBoot, but no joy. How do you know the trouble on yours is just the Lightning port? Is the Apple Watch wireless charger powerful enough to recharge it?
This happened last year but I still have it. I agree it was a great phone. I'm reluctant to dispose of it because it might still hold all its data. How do I wipe it?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
My 8+ appears to be bricked. It was charging overnight and next morning: nothing! No apparent symptoms before that. Apple has tested it through the Lightning port and I've done the same with ReiBoot, but no joy. How do you know the trouble on yours is just the Lightning port? Is the Apple Watch wireless charger powerful enough to recharge it?
This happened last year but I still have it. I agree it was a great phone. I'm reluctant to dispose of it because it might still hold all its data. How do I wipe it?

Well it’s easy in my case to see it’s a broken port. Cables just will not hold in place anymore, even after cleaning the port. Of course that doesn’t mean it’s the only broken thing, but the only obvious problem bugging me.

Reactions: ThrowerGB

miggs78

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
I’m still hoping the SE Plus rumors for 2021 pan out. The 8+ is a great phone and an updated version at an affordable price would be great. I prefer the wider yet shorter screen aspect ratio on larger phones. Honestly I don’t think Apple will do it but I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: arefbe and Julienne

miggs78

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
Boost Mobile price $299 for 128go.

Attachments

• 5741D5AA-4EFB-4126-BBB3-A9316B47CFD0.png
    5741D5AA-4EFB-4126-BBB3-A9316B47CFD0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 101

iPhone4Sforever

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
For me the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 8 Plus are the best and most beautiful iPhones Apple ever made.

The iPhone 4S with iOS 6 was the pinnacle of the Steve-Jobs-Era.
The impressive and amazing design made of stainless steel and glass makes it appear like it has been built for eternity. Audio quality was one of the best at that time and still to this day! Even in 2021 while being on a call, people tell me they are surprised how good and clear my voice sounds. It is remarkable and alarming that the audio quality of a ten year old iPhone 4S is so good that even today it gets people's attention. What does that tell us about the audio quality of many CURRENT phones?

The iPhone 8 Plus was the pinncale of the Tim-Cook-Era.
It has the rounded aluminum edges from the first iPhone and the glass back from the iPhone 4/4S, the best LCD ever in a smartphone, very loud and superb speaker quality, appropriate battery life, excellent call quality and the iconic home button. Like the iPhone 4S it feels precious and sturdy, built to last.

Last edited:

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
For me the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 8 Plus are the best and most beautiful iPhones Apple ever made.

The iPhone 4S with iOS 6 was the pinnacle of the Steve-Jobs-Era.
The impressive and amazing design made of stainless steel and glass makes it appear like it has been built for eternity. Audio quality was one of the best at that time and still to this day! Even in 2021 while being on a call, people tell me they are surprised how good and clear my voice sounds. It is remarkable and alarming that the audio quality of a ten year old iPhone 4S is so good that even today it gets people's attention. What does that tell us about the audio quality of many CURRENT phones?

The iPhone 8 Plus was the pinncale of the Tim-Cook-Era.
It has the rounded aluminum edges from the first iPhone and the glass back from the iPhone 4/4S, the best LCD ever in a smartphone, very loud and superb speaker quality, appropriate battery life, excellent call quality and the iconic home button. Like the iPhone 4S it feels precious and sturdy, built to last.
Your absolutely right regarding the 4S and 8+. Now the 12 mini has joined this special group.

Reactions: Superlamb

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I've been hoping to hold out until either Touch ID returns to the mainstream iPhones, or else there's a plus size of the SE released. Sounds like this could be the year for the former, though the 'SE Plus' is sounding increasingly like it will just be the iPhone XR or 11 with a new chip. My only complaint with my 8+ at this point is the battery is starting to get noticeably weaker!

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I've been hoping to hold out until either Touch ID returns to the mainstream iPhones, or else there's a plus size of the SE released. Sounds like this could be the year for the former, though the 'SE Plus' is sounding increasingly like it will just be the iPhone XR or 11 with a new chip. My only complaint with my 8+ at this point is the battery is starting to get noticeably weaker!
If that's the only issue, get the battery replaced.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If that's the only issue, get the battery replaced.
Not worth it as I am looking to upgrade soon anyway, while I’m happy enough with it for the time being, I think it’s had a good run at this point. It will get me through to September as-is.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It is very frustrating but I appreciate there are more important things going on right now. I’m not convinced we even be allowed to clinch the title at this rate but hey.

I’m happy to wait for an iPhone though. My 8+ is overdue an upgrade but still capable enough not to worry that I’m missing out. Depending on price I’ll likely get the larger iPhone 12 (mid tier, not Pro).

I did end up getting the 12 last October but I still think my 8+ was my favourite iPhone to date. It was performing as good as the day I bought it when 8 sold it on. Now I’ve used the 12 for eight months, I could have carried on with the 8+ to be honest. Not a huge difference in performance with the only real difference being the camera.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I too have been holding out or hoping for a SE Plus. I really like Touch ID.

Reactions: Falhófnir

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I did end up getting the 12 last October but I still think my 8+ was my favourite iPhone to date. It was performing as good as the day I bought it when 8 sold it on. Now I’ve used the 12 for eight months, I could have carried on with the 8+ to be honest. Not a huge difference in performance with the only real difference being the camera.

I am on an 8 and iOS 15 (at least in beta 1) is delightful on it. I don’t see any reason to upgrade just yet, except that little itch if one network in my country launches 5G in a couple of months from now. I suppose I’d get a OnePlus or Samsung 5G Android to quell that pang when that happens.

I also have a 7 in the family, and my original plan was to upgrade both only when both lose software support, which would be next year for the 8. I don’t know if 7 will stay on iOS 15 or will it also get 16 like the 8 likely would if we are having a 5-year update record.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
I was using IP 7 plus till 2018 then purchased XS max in dec2018 , used it for an year but didnt like the design & notch and the narrow screen. so sold it off for good deal and purchased IP 8 plus(Special edition product red) as that was the best phone available with touch ID and wide 16:9 ratio screen. Till date its rocking and no where lesser to 12 Pro max when performing day to day tasks.(except for camera and battery) . I might hold this on to a year or so easily.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I love my 8+, one of Apple greatest ever iphones, but it’s just hilarious when I put my 12 mini next to it side by side. You can literally fit the mass of two 12 minis into the mass of an 8+.

Reactions: Superlamb

incredibless8980

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
one of the best iPhones is the 8plus and even 7plus. Still runs pretty good and the best part is the screen although it has bezels as opposed to the newer iPhone bigger screen. Overall still solid and I usually use this for watching movies more than my iP12.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I love my 8+, one of Apple greatest ever iphones, but it’s just hilarious when I put my 12 mini next to it side by side. You can literally fit the mass of two 12 minis into the mass of an 8+.
It’s pretty insane to see how far the design and engineering has come, the 12 Pro Max (I know you were taking about 12 Mini but I got curious) with its huge 6.7inch screen is only a tad taller than the 8 Plus yet same width and thinner with a larger battery to.

CAF43054-EA6A-4C75-9266-D5E9CDEF2462.jpeg

And then 11 Pro Max next to 8 Plus
179A932C-B2D7-4F4B-9EE7-6B8DC47DF9EF.jpeg

It’s pretty interesting when considering all the other hardware in the Pro Maxes, especially the 12PM with its new camera system.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.