Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Rising bigger screen problems. After the introduction of iPhone in 2007, 3 years later Android started its journey copying majority of the concept from iOS. This angered Steve jobs very much. He said that he would nuke Android for that. If Steve jobs lived, he was definitely not going the Samsung way on screen sizes. Because, today the standard iPhone screen size is 6.1" which will in-turn becomes 6.3" next year. And they have completely removed smaller screen iPhone from their product line up. Apple has been focusing more on entertainment rather than a professional perspective.

"Smartphone pinky" (google)

1700538156976.png

main-qimg-056f8de408d3c069a0f12f3d29942e93-lq

_28ed62d4-c353-11e5-b910-0fdc132e0d1d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Rising bigger screen problems. After the introduction of iPhone in 2007, 3 years later Android started its journey copying majority of the concept from iOS. This angered Steve jobs very much. He said that he would nuke Android for that. If Steve jobs lived, he was definitely not going the Samsung way on screen sizes. Because, today the standard iPhone screen size is 6.1" which will in-turn becomes 6.3" next year. And they have completely removed smaller screen iPhone from their product line up. Apple has been focusing more on entertainment rather than a professional perspective.

imdog post is old but Apple should keep one small screen iPhone model in product line.

Reactions: lpc2

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

View attachment 2315113

main-qimg-056f8de408d3c069a0f12f3d29942e93-lq

_28ed62d4-c353-11e5-b910-0fdc132e0d1d.jpg
I do wonder what Steve’s position would have been today. I’m pretty sure he would have went along with large phones, the demand is too strong. But whether or not he would have continued offering small phones as well, I’m not sure. Maybe. If he really believed in small phones, maybe he would have thrown a curve ball to make small phones more useful and desirable by more people. No idea what that would be though beyond HUD glasses.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If Steve jobs lived, he was definitely not going the Samsung way on screen sizes. Because, today the standard iPhone screen size is 6.1" which will in-turn becomes 6.3" next year. And they have completely removed smaller screen iPhone from their product line up. Apple has been focusing more on entertainment rather than a professional perspective.

But Steve Jobs was alive when Jony Ive began designing the iPhone 6 series in 2011. Even if he weren't, do you think Tim Cook would immediately stray away from Jobs' vision so quickly? Cook was Jobs' right hand man. He was handpicked for CEO by Steve himself because both think in similar ways.

The reality is, everyone saw phablets coming and adoption was inevitable. Apple resisted back in 2010 because they wanted to sell an iPad with every small iPhone. It turned out more and more people wanted phablets.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
In answer to this topic the Iphone Mini is RIP for the near future. But it can always be revived by Apple like the Macbook has been in the past.

Last edited:

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
If iPhone 16 sizes will be 6.3 inch (compared to 6.1) and 6.9 inch (compared to 6.7) perhaps Apple will add 5.8 inch back as a normal size. Otherwise 6.3 will be smallest iPhone in the main lineup (not counting SE) which would be crazy.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Not a chance. The mini is dead and phones are only getting bigger. Soon the smallest will be 6.1" on the next SE. iPhone 16 will be 6.3" and Plus/Max will be 6.9".

If you want a small phone then you'll need to find an older gen Mini/SE or go to Android.

Reactions: madrigal77

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Maybe a new SE will be a mini, but other than that I don't see it coming again in the future.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I don't see the mini making a comeback. The battery just isn't big enough, especially for stuff like 120Hz screens.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don't see the mini making a comeback. The battery just isn't big enough, especially for stuff like 120Hz screens.
I wonder how much of people wanting bigger phones is because of battery vs screen vs other extra features. Would be some interesting data.

Reactions: M1956

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I wonder how much of people wanting bigger phones is because of battery vs screen vs other extra features. Would be some interesting data.
As a former 12 mini owner, having a bigger phone now didn't change my life. Yeah the screen is bigger, but I didn't have any issues seeing any of the content on the mini. I'm not one to watch movies on my phone either. The only thing I notice about having a bigger phone (besides being harder to use with 1 hand) is the battery. I now go to bed with about 70% battery remaining. The battery is the main reason I moved on from my mini, but I also wanted the 120Hz screen.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
As a former 12 mini owner, having a bigger phone now didn't change my life. Yeah the screen is bigger, but I didn't have any issues seeing any of the content on the mini. I'm not one to watch movies on my phone either. The only thing I notice about having a bigger phone (besides being harder to use with 1 hand) is the battery. I now go to bed with about 70% battery remaining. The battery is the main reason I moved on from my mini, but I also wanted the 120Hz screen.
Same. The battery on my 15 is leaps and bounds better than my 12 Mini, but I also held an SE1 the other day and legitimately thought several minutes about downgrading.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
Same. The battery on my 15 is leaps and bounds better than my 12 Mini, but I also held an SE1 the other day and legitimately thought several minutes about downgrading.
People seriously underestimate how nice it is to hold a small phone. The bigger phones also feel more clumsy to me like I'm gonna drop it at any minute. Not good since I'm a caseless guy. :)

Mouklies

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
I would prefer to purchase from Apple's refurbished store as you get a one year warranty and basically a new device. From what I found on Swappa, most excellent condition 13 minis are being sold at the same price if not more than what is offered on Apples refurbished store with no warranty and could possibly need a battery replacement
has this choice been tested and successful and it seems condition and quality of the battery do not play major aspects ..!?
I chose and decided next year to go for lighter weight and memory capacity, how can this also be wise?

Mouklies

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
I wanted the 13 Mini after I was forced to retire my SE1, but I chose the SE3 over it only because of Touch ID. Just love my Touch ID too much. Double bummed we may have seen the last Touch ID iPhone AND the last smallish iPhone…

Long live A15 🫡
what has to say about the battery according to 12 mini ?
good discusses

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
Sounds like a phone that's easier to drop on the sidewalk.
Yeah there's no way I'm gonna be balancing my iPhone on my hand without any sort of grip on it. I'll grip it and use it with two hands. Ain't no way I'm dropping this thing.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If there was an SE1 with just an updated chip, and if the screen size was supported by all software, I would downgrade in a heartbeat. As a light phone user (heavy everything else user), my battery needs are pretty meager. I have an SE3 now, and the only things I would miss from it are the better camera and more storage. But the less bulky/heavy, more comfortable, more secure one-handed usability of the SE1 would trump everything for me.

Reactions: badarihp and eicca

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Hope I'm not too curious but how many years until the guaranteed end of it??say a little more clearly
:rolleyes:😌

If you mean a software support, I guess you can count on 13 mini supporting the latest iOS for another 3 years, possibly longer. Hardware-wise, getting parts, repairs, etc., you could probably count another 3-4 years as well.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
If you mean a software support, I guess you can count on 13 mini supporting the latest iOS for another 3 years, possibly longer. Hardware-wise, getting parts, repairs, etc., you could probably count another 3-4 years as well.

iPhone mini launched in 2021, so iOS compatibility until 2027.
Spares are available for iPhone SE 2016 even today at apple authorised, like motherboard, display, Touch ID, battery etc.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Using iPhone SE 2016 is super easy & less effort required.

My iPhon SE battery percentage is jumping up & down.
Tried battery calibration steps from make-use-of website.

After trying out the above steps, Still it’s showing 10% even after charging for 30min. Drains faster to 16% and stays longer at 16%.

Anyone succeeded in battery calibration pls guide me.

iPhone SE 2016
iOS 15.8

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
iPhone mini wasn't successful due to its poor battery backup. News of iPhone 15 significant battery capacity increase is circulating now. I hope apple could redesign iPhone mini with a much battery capacity now. Please apple, small screen fans are still out there!

Check the battery capacity of iPhone 15 line up below.
Iphone 13 mini battery was fine. I had my 12 mini battery replaced and it has been 100% ever since..
The mini was for people who actually used their devices as a phone, sadly this is become rare these days.

Iphones have been handheld computers for many years now, and for some direct replacement for a home PC.

When apple breaks the iphone model by making an actually IPHONE (meant for making calls) and a Handheld computer (does everything) then the mini will never have a place in the market.

Reactions: lpc2 and rocketbuc

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
I'm not that sure the small form factor is gone for real. I believe the target group for this size is just smaller, and therefore, new releases are rare and may appear every couple of years only.

The first generation iPhone SE was such a phone. Then there was a break, and we've seen the iPhone 12/13 mini. Now that all people who want a small phone have a 13 mini, we're seeing a break again.

And that's why I believe we'll see the next mini phone when the 13 mini becomes obsolete/stops receiving updates. I'm not sure when that might be, maybe in a couple of years? And then, I bet, we'll see a new mini phone.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I'm not that sure the small form factor is gone for real. I believe the target group for this size is just smaller, and therefore, new releases are rare and may appear every couple of years only.

The first generation iPhone SE was such a phone. Then there was a break, and we've seen the iPhone 12/13 mini. Now that all people who want a small phone have a 13 mini, we're seeing a break again.

And that's why I believe we'll see the next mini phone when the 13 mini becomes obsolete/stops receiving updates. I'm not sure when that might be, maybe in a couple of years? And then, I bet, we'll see a new mini phone.
I hope you’re correct but I’m afraid it might just be wishful thinking. Even if you’re correct, the next small factor phone will wait until the 13 mini becomes obsolete/stops receiving updates, that would be no sooner than iPhone 18?!? I really don’t like the idea of waiting that long.

Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.