Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm not that sure the small form factor is gone for real. I believe the target group for this size is just smaller, and therefore, new releases are rare and may appear every couple of years only.

The first generation iPhone SE was such a phone. Then there was a break, and we've seen the iPhone 12/13 mini. Now that all people who want a small phone have a 13 mini, we're seeing a break again.

And that's why I believe we'll see the next mini phone when the 13 mini becomes obsolete/stops receiving updates. I'm not sure when that might be, maybe in a couple of years? And then, I bet, we'll see a new mini phone.

If you want to look at it that way, then after the current "break," the next "mini" will be 6.1-inches.

1700689803014.png

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Another random thing to remember.... Those that love that from factor have an iphone mini 13. Keep it running for another lets say 2 years (maybe replace battery). Who knows what Apple will have cooked up by then? I think it will be longer but at some point there might be a foldable or we all use the glasses or XYZ .

Tech is always moving forward. How long ago were "crackberry" addicts saying from my cold dead hands? None of them are around... I love my iPhone mini, hopefully Apple will figure something out that satisfies me when I'm feel I have to upgrade but there are people still out there happy with iPhone 8 ... Soo... Not sweating it now, I'll just enjoy my current phone and "worry" about the next one when it is time.

Philly

PS: I enjoy the escapism of these forums.... But as long as a form factor of a phone is a topic for us.. We are doing very well, so let us just enjoy our toys/life and not make ourselves more miserable just because we can. The world tries to that to us enough..
I can’t use my Blackberry any more since they shut down the services. BB10 was awesome, I really wish I could go back to it.
That said the iPhone 13 mini is quite nice as well.
It will be wonderful if Apple releases a successor. For now my 13mini is holding up well, thankfully.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
…I believe we'll see the next mini phone when the 13 mini becomes obsolete/stops receiving updates. I'm not sure when that might be, maybe in a couple of years? And then, I bet, we'll see a new mini phone.
Wish I could share your optimism.

I think the future of the iPhone Mini is to get yourself a refurb 13 Mini, get AppleCare, and take really good care of that thing for the next ten years.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
I hope you’re correct but I’m afraid it might just be wishful thinking. Even if you’re correct, the next small factor phone will wait until the 13 mini becomes obsolete/stops receiving updates, that would be no sooner than iPhone 18?!? I really don’t like the idea of waiting that long.

Yes, I believe that's how long it will take (until the 13 mini doesn't receive software updates anymore), but I believe the target group is too small to bring a smaller phone more often. There's not enough people who have the 13 mini who would switch to the new mini right now. Their devices have to become old, "really old" first. And then it's going to be worth it and Apple will bring it.

If you want to look at it that way, then after the current "break," the next "mini" will be 6.1-inches.

View attachment 2315840

That's too much of a jump. The 5/5s/5c/SE and the 12/13 mini have almost the same size (the screen is much bigger however), the 6.1" phone marks a huge jump.

Last edited:
Reactions: badarihp

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
iPhone mini wasn't successful due to its poor battery backup. News of iPhone 15 significant battery capacity increase is circulating now. I hope apple could redesign iPhone mini with a much battery capacity now. Please apple, small screen fans are still out there!

Check the battery capacity of iPhone 15 line up below.
the number of small phone fans vs moderate and large phone phones are a minor blip on the radar its not even worth the investment in R&D for apple to take on. Ya'll keep dreaming while I use my 512 gb 13 mini for the next 4 -5 years.

Reactions: badarihp

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

I think the future of the iPhone Mini is to get yourself a refurb 13 Mini, get AppleCare, and take really good care of that thing for the next ten years.
Exactly, apple is following the money and appeasing small loud phone is going to lose them money.

Reactions: madrigal77

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Idk why some users here are so obsessed with showering their derision on the mini (one of Apple's best designs, period, btw)...almost like they know they're overcompensating with a 6.9" phone...very odd behavior
I am a mini enthusiast but I'm not exactly delusional here to think there's going to be another mini. The majority of people want big phones. When one is spending 600 on a phone and you have a choice between mini screen and a 700 large screen it's a no brainer. We are hard core bunch here on macrumors but most people buy phones 2-3 years and compromising on size isn't an option for them.

Hell I have a 13 mini, 2022 se, iPad mini and 15 in air. I go through apple products like napkins but again I can live with a mini when I have so many options. But most people aren't like that.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Idk why some users here are so obsessed with showering their derision on the mini (one of Apple's best designs, period, btw)...almost like they know they're overcompensating with a 6.9" phone...very odd behavior

benijden (benign) vs. afgunst (malicious).

It's not quite to the level of Heaven/Hell as that, but it certainly seems like some of those who desire/use other do seem to deride the use of such a smaller thing.

I mean: really; who really reaps from the deficit?

Not I ;)

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
Exactly, apple is following the money and appeasing small loud phone is going to lose them money.
okay, now here I disagree with you.

Not every iPhone can be the best-selling iPhone. Did the Mini sell as well as the standard, or the Pro Max? It doesn't have to. The iPad Mini also doesn't sell as well as other models, but it's an important niche.

The iPhone Mini certainly sold more than basically every Android phone that's not a Samsung Galaxy or a Google Pixel. That alone justifies its existence.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015

Mobile phone is an essential tool in today’s era. From digital payments to many many things. Today, security is the top priority when hackers are hacking into mobile phones stealing vital user data, bank accounts, cyber fraud, etc etc…In this scenario, Apple has the best security OS platform in the world.
All ages use mobile phones. First priority is we all want Apple’s privacy & security, zero crashes, hangs, flawless working OS! Which should just work without a hitch for our daily life things. There are users who started from 1st iPhone till now. Now, they are FORCED to use bigger screens which is ONLY required for entertainment & gaming!

Just expressing my satisfaction:
iPhone SE is extremely comfortable to use! (I know this is boring for big screen fans)
Single hand use
No struggling.
Thumb reaches all corners of screen.
Less stress

Last edited:

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
There is *NO* future for the mini (at least, a small screen phone that is a peer to the larger phones). The largest cell phone market is China and India. Both of these markets use cell phones as their primary computers, where the larger display is important.

Is there a market for small cell phones, with less then 5" display? Yes! However, the cost to design, develop, and sell, will not be cost effective.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

The problem is that Apple has no 13 minis in refurb store. While the normal 13 is there it makes me wonder if it will ever show up

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
There is *NO* future for the mini (at least, a small screen phone that is a peer to the larger phones). The largest cell phone market is China and India. Both of these markets use cell phones as their primary computers, where the larger display is important.

Is there a market for small cell phones, with less then 5" display? Yes! However, the cost to design, develop, and sell, will not be cost effective.

We’ll have to see in couple years how the demand for larger display shifts. There must be at least one small model from apple.

Reactions: lpc2

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Alas, the market has spoken. Large screen phones are what is in demand globally :(
Yes, that's right. Apple did customers survey and found out that customers demand bigger screens.

There are different iPhone users:

Some use for their daily needs.
Some use for gaming.
Some use for music & video.
Some are limited for calls, SMS, mail, browsing.
Some are heavy users researching & finding Galaxy of apps in the app store.
Some use it for fun (jailbreak)

Not all users are same. To some people mobile phones are used ONLY for essential things, in such cases huge screens are not really necessary. Distracting us with new features & technology, making them build heavier iOS resulting in dropping old models, forcing folks to move to newer models.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I think another factor is how consumers behave. If there is no “smallish” iPhones I suspect MOST potential customers of “smallish” iPhones will just grind their teeth and eventually just go ahead a buy a bigger iPhone anyways.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.