Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
This argument is foolish. Both phones and OS’ have their strengths and weaknesses, and until you spend at least a month with each, you won’t know why each has really good things over the other and vice versa. Neither is bad. I posted this on another thread. Let’s stop arguing about ads. We’ve got great options these days. None of them are perfect.

There really isn’t an easy answer to this (fanboys will have plenty, but they’re not generally really using both ecosystems long enough to tell).

Unfortunately neither side has everything working as well as I personally would like. Both have things that are really great, and in some cases unique to each, and both have things that are also uniquely irritating or frustrating.

Some pros of iPhones that I didn’t recognize until i switched, and some of these are not covered by reviewers much, and may, or may not be important to you, and I’ll follow that with some pros of Android / cons of iOS that you don’t feel until you switch.

Starting off with iOS pros:
1. Apps really are better, and more stable (yes, this is covered by reviewers). But for example, when i tried out the Fold 2, I couldn’t get the CVS app or one of my most important banking apps working on it.
2. iOS’ home screen is a complete mess, but the swipe down to search for apps is a lot more than just a search function. It is AI driven and suggests the 8 most likely apps you’re likely looking for at the time you swipe down. It gets it right for me 90% of the time. So whereas on Android, I had everything positioned exactly where I wanted it, including using the Nova launcher and some really neat swipe folders, here it doesn’t matter. I just swipe down, and 90% of the time, I find what I’m looking for without typing in the first letter of the app already there. For example, i work out on a bike that my wife also works out on. I have to change the bike’s seat height etc after I’m done and I keep my wife’s settings in a note in Google Keep. Every time i finish working out, when i swipe down, Google Keep is the first app in the list.
3. Two factor authentication with iMessage is automatic. So if an app or a website sends me a two factor code by text, I don’t have to go to messages, read or copy the code, then go back and paste it into the app or website. Instead, iOS offers me in the app or website to paste just TFA code, and if I use it, it marks the text message as read for me so I don’t have to go back to messages myself. Small thing, but huge timesaver.
4. Not including covid, all apps pretty much support FaceID for login. You open the app, you’re already looking at your phone, so it authenticates you immediately. No need to use a fingerprint. Face ID is not great for Covid, but Apple is finally catching up to Android cerca 2012 and allowing unlock with the Apple Watch with iOS 14.5 - only took them 8 years.
5. If you have a Macbook as your primary laptop, there’s just no getting around how well the iPhone, Airpods, and Apple Watch integrate with it. I tried a Dell XPS 17 with Samsung Dex to compare when i was trying the Fold 2, and it just isn’t as easy or intuitive. Its really difficult to describe just how useful this is. All i can say is that while I’m working on my MBP, I don’t have to pull out my phone at all. Everything is right there if i want it. Pairing my Airpods to my phone or setting up a new Wifi, all Apple devices i own get the same pairing, same new Wifi with zero effort from me. This is a huge timesaver.
6. The overall echosystem is still unbeatable. As much as I love the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 looks wise, it has terrible app support. WearOS is not great either. The Apple Watch may not look as nice as some of those, but it just works better. Its significantly more reliable for health metrics like heart rate, exercise tracking, etc. I’ve used the Galaxy Watch 3, and the Tic Watch Pro 2 for reference.
7. Standby battery life is just insanely good. There simply isn’t a comparison. I know battery life tests show that some Android phones do as well or better, but they’re not real world. In the real world, on an average day, your phone is in standby mode more often than not. That’s where the iPhone absolutely shines, probably because it sucks at keeping apps open in memory.
8. Privacy…
9. The camera. Yes, there are better cameras on Android phones. But every single time i take a photo with the 12 Pro Max, it is good. On average for non-photographer types, it just works.
10. The video camera. This is more than covered enough by reviewers.

Cons and or pros of Android:
1. The iPhone 12 Pro Max has a huge screen whose size is completely useless except for content consumption, because I still can’t have more than 4 icons across and however many vertically than the iPhone mini. Come on Apple, give your users options! I mean app icons are still justified to the top of this huge screen?! Why do i have to use a popsocket or that horrible excuse for this of swiping from exactly the right spot on the bottom of the screen to get to apps on top of the screen? Why do i even need apps on top of the screen? Drives me crazy.
2. Customization is a nightmare in iOS. There just is no comparison.
3. Its just so damn boring. I can’t change anything really other than the occasional widget, which also is implemented poorly.
4. Notifications are still absolutely terrible on iOS compared to Android 9, never mind Android 11.
5. Missing Google Home Screen
6. Siri sucks big time.
7. I really miss running two apps at the same time, or 3 in the case of the Fold 2.
8. Refresh rate at 60MHz is absolutely noticeable when you have this sitting next to that gorgeous Fold 2 main screen. There just is no comparison.
9. That damn notch. Yes, you get used to it. But it never becomes not ugly.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ads anyone? Really Apple Paying all that money so you can see ads everywhere on your device, poor form.

I haven’t seen any ads on mine yet but will be complaining the moment I spot one, none of us pay money to see that tripe.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I haven’t seen any ads on mine yet but will be complaining the moment I spot one, none of us pay money to see that tripe.
In all my years of owning phones, I've seen one, on my S21 ultra weather app.
I killed the ads, no more ads at all.

I pay good money to not have adverts, I don't need them in my phone.

My original post was kind of cynical/exaggerated/ironic.

Trying to troll a troll is pointless I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Another thing I love about iPhone is the usage of stainless steel, lol, I know it’s vanity, but I loved it on my Xs Max and love it on my 11 Pro Max mixed with the leather case, feels incredibly premium.
70631e8de84ca1207ba0259f2381d776.jpg

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I love how stainless steel looks on my iPhone 12 Pro. I do not like that this makes it heavier, do not enjoy the finger prints and how easily gets scratched.

How it is on iPhone 11 compared to 12 in that regards? I assume better because it is rounded?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I love how stainless steel looks on my iPhone 12 Pro. I do not like that this makes it heavier, do not enjoy the finger prints and how easily gets scratched.

How it is on iPhone 11 compared to 12 in that regards? I assume better because it is rounded?

Yep, hefty feel is one of the drawbacks of stainless steel unfortunately.

I have not had the chance to thoroughly use and feel the 12 Pro Max so can’t comment on the feel between the two, but I am sure the 12 is more grippy due to sharper edges while the 11s feel more “ergonomic“ due to rounding but also slippery.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Yep, hefty feel is one of the drawbacks of stainless steel unfortunately.
Yep, but let's be honest - looks premium. It reminds of this saying to women that beauty comes with pain :D. Like high heels look cool, but walking with them is PITA :D.
I have not had the chance to thoroughly use and feel the 12 Pro Max so can’t comment on the feel between the two, but I am sure the 12 is more grippy due to sharper edges while the 11s feel more “ergonomic“ due to rounding but also slippery.
I assume that the 11 picks up less fingerprints because it is less grippy. And maybe as a result it scratches a bit less. This is pure speculation as I have not used 11. Luckily the new cases for the 12 covers almost all of the stainless steel so it protects the edges from scratching and fingerprints. However it also hides them :D.

• Haha
Reactions: Tsepz

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
This argument is foolish. Both phones and OS’ have their strengths and weaknesses, and until you spend at least a month with each, you won’t know why each has really good things over the other and vice versa. Neither is bad. I posted this on another thread. Let’s stop arguing about ads. We’ve got great options these days. None of them are perfect.

There really isn’t an easy answer to this (fanboys will have plenty, but they’re not generally really using both ecosystems long enough to tell).

Unfortunately neither side has everything working as well as I personally would like. Both have things that are really great, and in some cases unique to each, and both have things that are also uniquely irritating or frustrating.

Some pros of iPhones that I didn’t recognize until i switched, and some of these are not covered by reviewers much, and may, or may not be important to you, and I’ll follow that with some pros of Android / cons of iOS that you don’t feel until you switch.

Starting off with iOS pros:
1. Apps really are better, and more stable (yes, this is covered by reviewers). But for example, when i tried out the Fold 2, I couldn’t get the CVS app or one of my most important banking apps working on it.
2. iOS’ home screen is a complete mess, but the swipe down to search for apps is a lot more than just a search function. It is AI driven and suggests the 8 most likely apps you’re likely looking for at the time you swipe down. It gets it right for me 90% of the time. So whereas on Android, I had everything positioned exactly where I wanted it, including using the Nova launcher and some really neat swipe folders, here it doesn’t matter. I just swipe down, and 90% of the time, I find what I’m looking for without typing in the first letter of the app already there. For example, i work out on a bike that my wife also works out on. I have to change the bike’s seat height etc after I’m done and I keep my wife’s settings in a note in Google Keep. Every time i finish working out, when i swipe down, Google Keep is the first app in the list.
3. Two factor authentication with iMessage is automatic. So if an app or a website sends me a two factor code by text, I don’t have to go to messages, read or copy the code, then go back and paste it into the app or website. Instead, iOS offers me in the app or website to paste just TFA code, and if I use it, it marks the text message as read for me so I don’t have to go back to messages myself. Small thing, but huge timesaver.
4. Not including covid, all apps pretty much support FaceID for login. You open the app, you’re already looking at your phone, so it authenticates you immediately. No need to use a fingerprint. Face ID is not great for Covid, but Apple is finally catching up to Android cerca 2012 and allowing unlock with the Apple Watch with iOS 14.5 - only took them 8 years.
5. If you have a Macbook as your primary laptop, there’s just no getting around how well the iPhone, Airpods, and Apple Watch integrate with it. I tried a Dell XPS 17 with Samsung Dex to compare when i was trying the Fold 2, and it just isn’t as easy or intuitive. Its really difficult to describe just how useful this is. All i can say is that while I’m working on my MBP, I don’t have to pull out my phone at all. Everything is right there if i want it. Pairing my Airpods to my phone or setting up a new Wifi, all Apple devices i own get the same pairing, same new Wifi with zero effort from me. This is a huge timesaver.
6. The overall echosystem is still unbeatable. As much as I love the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 looks wise, it has terrible app support. WearOS is not great either. The Apple Watch may not look as nice as some of those, but it just works better. Its significantly more reliable for health metrics like heart rate, exercise tracking, etc. I’ve used the Galaxy Watch 3, and the Tic Watch Pro 2 for reference.
7. Standby battery life is just insanely good. There simply isn’t a comparison. I know battery life tests show that some Android phones do as well or better, but they’re not real world. In the real world, on an average day, your phone is in standby mode more often than not. That’s where the iPhone absolutely shines, probably because it sucks at keeping apps open in memory.
8. Privacy…
9. The camera. Yes, there are better cameras on Android phones. But every single time i take a photo with the 12 Pro Max, it is good. On average for non-photographer types, it just works.
10. The video camera. This is more than covered enough by reviewers.

Cons and or pros of Android:
1. The iPhone 12 Pro Max has a huge screen whose size is completely useless except for content consumption, because I still can’t have more than 4 icons across and however many vertically than the iPhone mini. Come on Apple, give your users options! I mean app icons are still justified to the top of this huge screen?! Why do i have to use a popsocket or that horrible excuse for this of swiping from exactly the right spot on the bottom of the screen to get to apps on top of the screen? Why do i even need apps on top of the screen? Drives me crazy.
2. Customization is a nightmare in iOS. There just is no comparison.
3. Its just so damn boring. I can’t change anything really other than the occasional widget, which also is implemented poorly.
4. Notifications are still absolutely terrible on iOS compared to Android 9, never mind Android 11.
5. Missing Google Home Screen
6. Siri sucks big time.
7. I really miss running two apps at the same time, or 3 in the case of the Fold 2.
8. Refresh rate at 60MHz is absolutely noticeable when you have this sitting next to that gorgeous Fold 2 main screen. There just is no comparison.
9. That damn notch. Yes, you get used to it. But it never becomes not ugly.
Love this post, definitely agree with everything you said! Although I haven't had any issues with apps working so far, I'm able to find all the apps that I use on my iPhone and they all run pretty well. There are definitely pros and cons to both devices but the pros of Android is pretty much all the reasons why I'm enjoying using the S21U at the moment.

Reactions: secretk and t1328

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Perception on this differs I think, some think it looks premium and to others it doesn’t. I find most put these incredibly fragile devices in cases these days too.
You are right. I would not leave my phone without a case! I mean knowing how much I paid for it, I want to keep it for 5 years and this means protecting it as much as possible.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
They all do the same crap for the most part. By this point it all comes down to preference.

I use Apple because I like my Macbook, iPad, Watch, and phone all synced together. But I know people that don't care about that kind of stuff and they use Samsung phone with an iPad. That being said, I'm not trapped in the Apple ecosystem and I'm not a loyal fanboy. I can leave at any time.

At the end of the day it's just a phone.

Reactions: keti2377 and t1328

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
They all do the same crap for the most part. By this point it all comes down to preference.

I use Apple because I like my Macbook, iPad, Watch, and phone all synced together. But I know people that don't care about that kind of stuff and they use Samsung phone with an iPad. That being said, I'm not trapped in the Apple ecosystem and I'm not a loyal fanboy. I can leave at any time.

At the end of the day it's just a phone.

Exactly…

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why I use a Samsung/Android as my primary phone:
- Dual SIM (I know recent iPhones have dual SIM, but the one SIM is eSIM, and the top 3 carriers in my country don't support eSIM).
- twin apps (so I can whatsapp on each SIM I have).
- have cheaper models (iPhone prices are greatly inflated in my country)
- usually have at least 4000+mAh battery
- some institutions in my country only release apps on Android

Why I also got an iPhone 7+ as my training wheels:
- Concerns for privacy. We have so many of our data in our phones. Call me paranoid, but I have moved my banking apps to my 7+.
- Longer OS updates. I want to break the habit of frequently changing my phones.
- Security updates for all supported devices, not just the main flagships. Just because I got a cheaper model, doesn't mean I have to be treated as second class citizen and get less frequent security patches.

TBH, the biggest limiting factor is the dual SIM thing. If one of the top 2 carriers have eSIM support, I will probably get an iPhone to be my primary phone, and relegate the Android into the secondary phone.

Reactions: t1328 and LFC2020

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Kind of knew this would get more discussion going but not always a bad thing.

areas where i really hope apple improve on is spilt screen multitasking, interactive widgets, placing icons where you want and of course periscope lens. The zoom is the only thing truely missing from the iphone camera. I know we have heard 2022/2023 but least it’s coming. I don’t mind waiting as it’s something i would use. Anything past 30x i would still say is more of a gimmick or spec bragging but 5x i think i would use a lot.

i do value app quailty though which is a big part of why i prefer IOS but also how it syncs with other devices.

Sadly people feel they have to defend apple with too much it’s ok to say where they need to improve and the areas i mentioned is my main needs going forward.

120hz, touch ID, always on display for the 12s pro line is a good step in the right direction. I know people say 60hz on iPhones are smooth and they are due to the animations. However 120hz will be a good improvement. I notice it a lot when i use the iPad Pro. On the iphone pros it should be even smoother due to the OLED screens so this is what I’m looking forward to most for this year.

camera wise the iphone cameras are great and the best video without a doubt so if the ultra wide is improved thats ideal as thats the one area where it’s weak compared to The other lens. Better night mode is always welcomed and from the sounds portrait mode will be much improved with possible video portrait mode. No doubt i would use the improved portrait mode with a baby on the way this September.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
- Dual SIM (I know recent iPhones have dual SIM, but the one SIM is eSIM, and the top 3 carriers in my country don't support eSIM).
This is also my case. I ended up using the only carrier that support eSIM in my country as my second SIM for mobile data service that being cheaper than my primary number. Would be nicer if iPhone supports dual physical SIM globally like the models they release in China, Hong Kong and Macau.

- some institutions in my country only release apps on Android
This Too. Government institutions and small businesses tend to release their app on Android first.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021

er... i have the 12 PM and 1 thing for sure it doesnt get scratched easily... few days back i was re-applying Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Glue on the slient switch but i had to remove the old glue so that its perfect. i used a cutter and damn... only got a few scratches from like 50+ scraps.

Attachments

• 20210330_104532.jpg
    20210330_104532.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 72

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
er... i have the 12 PM and 1 thing for sure it doesnt get scratched easily... few days back i was re-applying Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Glue on the slient switch but i had to remove the old glue so that its perfect. i used a cutter and damn... only got a few scratches from like 50+ scraps.
Why you applying glue? ?

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
My silent switch never moves unless I switch it on and off ?
i have OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) so yeah after glueing the switch i can sleep better xD

and is that Mo Salah on your display pic.lmao just noticed.

Reactions: LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.