Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is what I thought about too. 60hz on an iPhone is so much more smooth than 60hz on Android so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decides to go with 90hz. It'll probably be no difference than the 120hz on my S21U.
Yep, I think 90Hz will provide the greatest experience while still delivering amazing battery life.
Apple needs to further separate the Pro model iPhones from the standard iPhones so I think the next release we should see 90Hz Pro models wile the standard ones remain at 60Hz, would make the most sense.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Something I miss is RGB notification LEDs, I remember having those on my Nokia Symbian phones, in a BB Curve 8900 as well as on my first Android the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 ?
Notifications LEDs are super underrated, you set it to the colour you want for each app and then you know whether to bother lifting the phone or not and they didn’t use any battery/very minimal power usage.

I’ve had lots of Symbian, Android, BlackBerry etc. phones as well. Many of them had that LED notification function you miss. However, personally, that was always the first feature I turned OFF, as I found it very annoying. I also suspect that’s why they stopped implementing it. I don’t think most people wanted the LED notifications, but hey, that’s just my guess... ?‍♂️

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Ads anyone ? Really Samsung?‍♂️ Paying all that money so you can see ads everywhere on your device, poor form.

2D89E1C2-418C-4AE0-98D2-BACFE6742BD9.jpeg

970568A4-1C69-4397-8CB2-7E23BA56B994.jpeg

Pipefish

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2021
Ads anyone ? Really Samsung?‍♂️ Paying all that money so you can see ads everywhere on your device, poor form.

View attachment 1750644
View attachment 1750645
This really got to me on my recent Samsungs. I didn’t spend £1,200 on a phone to have ads served to me in some of the essential system apps.

They weren’t as widespread as it looks, and they were often only for other Samsung services - but they were there. Absolutely unforgivable. I used to get a Bulb.co.uk advert at the top of Samsung pay every time I opened it so I just stopped using Samsung Pay and used Google Pay instead. I used to get them in Samsung Health too. But never in the notification bar or in any other apps. It was enough though and it stopped me dead from using the pre-installed Samsung apps and ruined their reputation for me.

It’s a small part of the reason I moved away from Samsung. I really don’t know what they were thinking doing that.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Ads anyone? ? Really Apple?‍♂️ Paying all that money so you can see ads everywhere on your device, poor form.

That’s a widget ? can you show me some real ads please. ?

Still waiting…….. ??

Last edited:

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
Ads anyone? Really Apple Paying all that money so you can see ads everywhere on your device, poor form.

I’ve been using iPhones for 2 years. I’ve never seen an ad, not once. I’m not a fanboy, and frankly Samsung’s ads don’t bother me that much. But this simply isn’t factual.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
That’s a widget ? can you show me some real ads please. ?

Still waiting…….. ??
So apple allow adverts in widgets?

Thanks for that.

"Apple’s success over the years has come from the fact that it offers a clean and secure experience to its users. Seems like that’s under question for the first time. Several users have taken to social media platforms to highlight that even Apple has started sending ads like Android smartphones and that’s not a good thing. These ads are being placed under the Settings menu. In most cases, users have got advertisements for Apple’s own services or apps including Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+ among others. However, in some cases users got advertisements for third-party apps too."

I guess Apple just do advertisements better right?

Last edited:

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017

Thanks for that.

"Apple’s success over the years has come from the fact that it offers a clean and secure experience to its users. Seems like that’s under question for the first time. Several users have taken to social media platforms to highlight that even Apple has started sending ads like Android smartphones and that’s not a good thing. These ads are being placed under the Settings menu. In most cases, users have got advertisements for Apple’s own services or apps including Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+ among others. However, in some cases users got advertisements for third-party apps too."

This is inaccurate. When they release new services, like Apple Fitness+, they offer them in settings for 3 months at no charge. They don’t do 3rd party advertising, and getting rid of this simply required entering once and saying no, or I’ll set it up later, and it’s gone. This has happened about 5 times in the last two years at most. None of it has been 3rd party. I for one would like to know that somethings like Apple’s services are available free for 3 months.

216a59e8a25c1c0b6982e5ab06315542.jpg

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

Thanks for that.

That fitness + is a free offer for people who bought a Apple Watch, still waiting for my ads….. ?

Reactions: t1328

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
An advert is advert imo, I get rid of mine, it's easy.

If I were expecting something free, it's not going to be via an advert.

Is Pinkberry offering free stuff too?

Stop being hypocrites, would you rather have adverts or no adverts?

The simple fact is iphone has adverts too, that's not debatable.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
An advert is advert imo, I get rid of mine, it's easy.

If I were expecting something free, it's not going to be via an advert.

Is Pinkberry offering free stuff too?

Stop being hypocrites, would you rather have adverts or no adverts?
No it isn’t, I’m not seeing full blown up ads in my weather app or any other system apps. ?‍♂️ Forcing ads onto people who pay $1,849 for a smartphone is disgusting.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ads anyone? ? Really Apple?‍♂️ Paying all that money so you can see ads everywhere on your device, poor form.

I’ve seen an advert for Apple Arcade on my iPhone before after I cancelled the subscription. It was annoying as it was quite intrusive as it just popped up on the screen and basically took over the whole screen. After 2 weeks I just re-subscribed. Hey at least the advert went away.

isn’t there a way of disabling the adverts on Samsung phones by disabling Samsung push alerts?

adverts for other Samsung devices wouldn’t bother me but adverts for other products would.

Here’s some other people who also got adverts for Apple Arcade after cancelling

mine was not popping up every 5 minutes like this person but I did see it frequently over that 2 week period.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
No it isn’t, I’m not seeing full blown up ads in my weather app or any other system apps. ?‍♂️ Forcing ads onto people who pay $1,849 for a smartphone is disgusting.
Other iphone users have had them, you experience doesn't correlate to the entire iphone user base.
And yes, it is disgusting, but you don't get to be sanctimonious here as Apple dish adverts to.

Reactions: secretk

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I’ve seen an advert for Apple Arcade on my iPhone before after I cancelled the subscription. It was annoying as it was quite intrusive as it just popped up on the screen and basically took over the whole screen. After 2 weeks I just re-subscribed. Hey at least the advert went away.

isn’t there a way of disabling the adverts on Samsung phones by disabling Samsung push alerts?

adverts for other Samsung devices wouldn’t bother me but adverts for other products would.

I had ads on my s21 weather widget, not full screen, just at the top so I killed it and yes it had something to do with push services.
I haven't experienced any other apps except where you'd expect them .

See people, Apple allows adverts too, point nullified, time to put another metric under the microscope.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I had ads on my s21 weather widget, I killed it and yes it had something to do with push services.

See people, Apple allows adverts too, point nullified.
Going around in circles here ?‍♂️ Let me know when my ad is ready please ?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
This is inaccurate. When they release new services, like Apple Fitness+, they offer them in settings for 3 months at no charge. They don’t do 3rd party advertising, and getting rid of this simply required entering once and saying no, or I’ll set it up later, and it’s gone. This has happened about 5 times in the last two years at most. None of it has been 3rd party. I for one would like to know that somethings like Apple’s services are available free for 3 months.

216a59e8a25c1c0b6982e5ab06315542.jpg
In that article I posted there's literally a third party advert being shown.
But apparently that's okay because it's a widget?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Ahhh nope, that person has that app on his phone, the Siri suggestion widget is showing him that app because he uses that app a lot, that’s what that widget is for. ?‍♂️

I’ve set up this widget on my phone, is this a ad?

97362416-3B1E-4EB6-AE0A-18BCA8E18474.jpeg

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve had lots of Symbian, Android, BlackBerry etc. phones as well. Many of them had that LED notification function you miss. However, personally, that was always the first feature I turned OFF, as I found it very annoying. I also suspect that’s why they stopped implementing it. I don’t think most people wanted the LED notifications, but hey, that’s just my guess...

Yeah it was not a feature everyone liked and it took up unnecessary hardware space so it had to go. I really liked it but I am probably in the minority.

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017

Anyone can create a widget. Did Apple create that widget? No. Samsung is creating ads for 3rd parties and adding them to notifications regularly. Again, I love Samsung phones. I almost switched to the Fold 2. This issue really isn’t important to me one way or another. But there is a difference between promoting your own products, and advertising 3rd party products, and let’s face it, Samsung isn’t exactly historically immune from including a boat load of bloat ware that someone is paying them to include. Apple commits a similar serious issue, which is not allowing users to change their defaults (until they recently finally joined the 2010s and allowed it for at least a few apps. So I’m critical of Apple. I don’t think they walk on water. But I also don’t think that showing a widget with an ad on it shows that Apple is doing 3rd party advertising.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Anyone can create a widget. Did Apple create that widget? No. Samsung is creating ads for 3rd parties and adding them to notifications regularly. Again, I love Samsung phones. I almost switched to the Fold 2. This issue really isn’t important to me one way or another. But there is a difference between promoting your own products, and advertising 3rd party products, and let’s face it, Samsung isn’t exactly historically immune from including a boat load of bloat ware that someone is paying them to include. Apple commits a similar serious issue, which is not allowing users to change their defaults (until they recently finally joined the 2010s and allowed it for at least a few apps. So I’m critical of Apple. I don’t think they walk on water. But I also don’t think that showing a widget with an ad on it shows that Apple is doing 3rd party advertising.
Go back and read Shanghaichicas post, unsolicited advertising on iphone, not acceptable.
End of discussion.
The Pinkberry widget was a siri suggestion.

The whole point was LFC2020 was saying "samsung bad, they have ads", when the iphone has ads too, his misinformation in this thread is ridiculous and sycophantic, I don't think I've even said anything negative about iphones.

Last edited:
Reactions: biker74

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
As far as I understand it, that’s a Siri location base suggestion, because the user turns it on.
I will probably never get it because in my country the location base suggestions is not supported by Apple service.

This is different yet may feels similar to what Samsung or other Android brand pushing through the system settings menu, weather app or other core system in the phone.

Also the 3 months free subs offering for certain apple own services is not that annoying in my experience. It will go away after the given time is passed and it only appears inside the settings app. Only one line of text, no image, animation, video nor pop ups.

Reactions: t1328 and LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.