Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I see what you’re doing, making sure your misses doesn’t hear your phone when your mistress sends you a text message. ??

The champ himself ??
no lol.my phone is mostly not silent but i just like the switch to stay put haha.

Salah 1 of my favourite football players. btw Salah in Indonesian means wrong. so it was funny when he first became a star.

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

Dire

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2021
I dont really bother about privacy but its good that Apple takes it seriously. And at first i was pissed at Apple for having only Face ID/Pin... Then i realised its better than what my Android has. For instance, close 1 eye and it wouldnt unlock. And thats just the beginning.
I haven't upgraded to iPhone yet, and have been an android nut for years. Note 10+ being my current pocket warmer.

One thing about the Note 10+ is that you Must Absolutely have your thumbprint PERFECTLY placed, or it just won't unlock. A side note, however, is that my banking app, that optionally uses my thumbprint to log in, is not near as picky and unlocks faster, with less data points! LOL!

Its Face unlock is finicky in certain lighting ... and doesn't work with Masks for some obscure reason... my S8+ used to just look adoringly into my peepers and that was good enough :)

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
That switch should be handy when we need to silent our phones during meetings or certain situations, and actually being praised by many Android users haha.
yes true.but for me personally i dont want it to move.the OCD is tingling xD and i use assistive touch to manage notifications.

• Haha
Reactions: macdogpro

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I haven't upgraded to iPhone yet, and have been an android nut for years. Note 10+ being my current pocket warmer.

One thing about the Note 10+ is that you Must Absolutely have your thumbprint PERFECTLY placed, or it just won't unlock. A side note, however, is that my banking app, that optionally uses my thumbprint to log in, is not near as picky and unlocks faster, with less data points! LOL!

Its Face unlock is finicky in certain lighting ... and doesn't work with Masks for some obscure reason... my S8+ used to just look adoringly into my peepers and that was good enough :)
Once you go Face ID there is no going back? works in total darkness, supports most apps. 100% success rate, can never go back to Touch ID.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Once you go Face ID there is no going back works in total darkness, supports most apps. 100% success rate, can never go back to Touch ID.
I don’t have that experience with FaceID I have to be honest. It fails from time to time and total darkness for me sometimes confuses it. After using TouchID on the iPad Air, I’d like to see this as an option alongside FaceID on future iPhones.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don’t have that experience with FaceID I have to be honest. It fails from time to time and total darkness for me sometimes confuses it. After using TouchID on the iPad Air, I’d like to see this as an option alongside FaceID on future iPhones.
It would be nice to have both. I don’t have a problem with Face ID unless I’m wearing a mask but it’s always better to have more choices.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Same experience. FaceID failure rate for me is higher than TouchID. Neither is perfect and reaches 100 % success rate but for some reason TouchID is more stable for me compared to FaceID. Ideally a device should have both, this way if one fails, we could resort to the other.

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
This is me as well. Works perfectly during the daytime but at night, it doesn't work well in the darkness. This is why I absolutely adore the under display fingerprint scanner because it works for me all the time with no issues. I really hope that Apple can will add it in the near future with both options.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is me as well. Works perfectly during the daytime but at night, it doesn't work well in the darkness. This is why I absolutely adore the under display fingerprint scanner because it works for me all the time with no issues. I really hope that Apple can will add it in the near future with both options.
No issues with face id in total darkness. I have a 7th gen ipad and touch id fails at least 75% of the time, where I have to enter the passcode (even after I reentered the prints, honestly though it doesn't bother me). It wasn't like that on my 5s and 6s. I guess YMMV.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Touch ID and Face ID have always worked well for me outside of masks. The only time Touch ID hasn’t worked for me is when I had an injury to my thumb. However my thumb was very swollen and the skin was damaged so it’s not surprising that it didn’t work.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Gstavrev

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2020
For me Face ID works all the time except when I’m wearing a mask, and for some reason when I’m wearing a specific pair of Rayban glasses (I have a few and with all the rest of them Face ID works fine)

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
No issues with face id in total darkness. I have a 7th gen ipad and touch id fails at least 75% of the time, where I have to enter the passcode (even after I reentered the prints, honestly though it doesn't bother me). It wasn't like that on my 5s and 6s. I guess YMMV.
Yeah, Touch ID doesn’t always work for me either. Just the other day for some reason I could not get it to unlock with my fingerprint on my iPad. But it worked perfectly fine the next day. Seems to me though Face ID doesn’t always work for a lot of people though. There was a reddit discussion about this and it seems half the people it works all the time, and the other half it doesn’t always work.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Same experience. FaceID failure rate for me is higher than TouchID. Neither is perfect and reaches 100 % success rate but for some reason TouchID is more stable for me compared to FaceID. Ideally a device should have both, this way if one fails, we could resort to the other.

I think it’ll be good to have both forms on future iPhones as it’s abundantly clear that both forms of technology are not completely consistent from person to person. Proof of this is the experiences shared in these threads. FaceID is great most of the time and it’s the same with TouchID for me. Others have different experiences and it must be down to skin and eye types being so different from each person. I’ve just seen someone say they’ve got a 75% failure rate with TouchID and that would annoy me personally but then mine is about 95% accurate so it just sways the other way. Come on Apple, offer both!! :)

Reactions: secretk

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Touch ID and Face ID have always worked well for me outside of masks. The only time Touch ID hasn’t worked for me is when I had an injury to my thumb. However my thumb was very swollen and the skin was damaged so it’s not surprising that it didn’t work.
Touch ID works great for me as well. Obviously things like skin scratches, or smudged sensor, can throw it off, but that's obvious. Capacitive sensors are great imo. The same applies on Android, where capacitive sensors in general works better than the trendy optical ones.

In iPhone case, it would be great to have both FaceID and TouchID though. If they conflict with each other (eg. Apple for some reason cannot have a less secure biometric at the same time as a more secure one, maybe), then at least give the option to users which one they want to use. But I guess Apple is not the kind that like to give users options. :D

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
Touch ID works great for me as well. Obviously things like skin scratches, or smudged sensor, can throw it off, but that's obvious. Capacitive sensors are great imo. The same applies on Android, where capacitive sensors in general works better than the trendy optical ones.

In iPhone case, it would be great to have both FaceID and TouchID though. If they conflict with each other (eg. Apple for some reason cannot have a less secure biometric at the same time as a more secure one, maybe), then at least give the option to users which one they want to use. But I guess Apple is not the kind that like to give users options. :D
I just love the under display fingerprint scanner on the S21U lol. I think out of all three, the scanner works for me all the time. Face ID is faster (although the S21U takes you straight to the home screen after it unlocks so it “feels” like it’s faster when unlocking) but the fact that I can use the fingerprint scanner with a mask and in total darkness makes it worth it for me. I just want that option on iPhone so I can use either or.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I just love the under display fingerprint scanner on the S21U lol. I think out of all three, the scanner works for me all the time. Face ID is faster (although the S21U takes you straight to the home screen after it unlocks so it “feels” like it’s faster when unlocking) but the fact that I can use the fingerprint scanner with a mask and in total darkness makes it worth it for me. I just want that option on iPhone so I can use either or.
All rumours pointing to adding Touch ID this year so be nice to have that choice. Being at a desk I do realise how much it is to have

Reactions: JagRunner

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I use, and enjoy, both ( 12 PM and Note 20 Ultra ) .. Been using both OSes since Note 3 and iPhone 3G, and both OSes have come a long way!

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I like Rene Ritchie's idea of a Ambient ID. Always authenticating using multiple sensors!

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Really Samsung ?‍♂️ Aren’t ads in your apps enough for you ?‍♂️

7C52EA9A-7D07-43D5-8CF5-22D002800F72.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.